RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > New 2022 RRS Reveal this month!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>

3hcp

United Kingdom 

As a confirmed petrolhead I hate to say that turbo diesels suit these vehicles better because of their superior low down torque advantage. I haven’t driven a 5.0 sc but did have a Grand Cherokee with large petrol once and found the consumption at under 20mpg eye watering to run. I can’t fathom why LR don’t have a plug in hybrid diesel in their range but suspect it’s perceived emissions related.
I’m currently running a diesel hybrid sdv6 which returns 35mpg at 80mph and over 40mpg on A roads where regenerative braking helps more. I had a remap to circa 380hp (inc 50hp from battery ) so it’s plenty fast enough. 2015 RRS DIESEL HYBRID

Post #623072 Thu Mar 24 2022 11:23am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Agree totally that turbo diesels with their low down torque and power characteristics suit these big SUVs far more than petrol engines, especially weedy little 4 cylinder ones. That does make me wonder why SUV manufacturers do not offer diesel PHEVs. The only one I am aware of is the Merc GLE but again that has a 4 cylinder diesel engine rather than a 6 cylinder one

I guess there are a number of reasons why manufacturers do not offer PHEVs with 6 cylinder diesel engines and the first one would be weight. Petrol engined PHEVs like the P400e are already 200-300kg heavier than their ICE diesel counterparts so adding a 6 cylinder diesel might raise the weight by another 100-200kg and that undoubtedly creates issues with brakes and suspension. The second reason is that many PHEV markets eg USA, Japan just do not buy diesel engines full stop so the market for a diesel engined PHEV would probably be limited to Europe only. And the third reason would be the current anti diesel sentiment generally which is totally unjustified IMHO but does exist so diesel PHEVs could be a hard sell as planet saving cars.

Speaking personally I would love to see a RR or RRS with D300 based PHEV powertrain but I can't see it happening especially as we are all going to be forced into EVs in a few years time anyway

Post #623075 Thu Mar 24 2022 12:51pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's not just weight, although that is a concern. It's also space. The 6-cylinder engines take up too much room in the engine bay. The smaller 4-cylinder unit means there's space for the gubbins that goes along with a full PHEV installation.

Low down, the P400e has basically the same grunt as the D300, but then has a top end too that extends well past the rev range of the diesel.

I think the big question is: how successful will LR's EV range be? The vehicles are nice and big so there's space for plenty of batteries, but with that bringing weight, plus the inherent aerodynamic drawback of a big vehicle, will an EV FFRR be realistic? For the urban drivers, yes, it will be because that is where any EV works best. For those who make more use of their LR product's capabilities, will an EV be suitable? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #623076 Thu Mar 24 2022 1:43pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

No way has the P400e petrol engine got the same low down grunt as the D300. Its a slug below 2000-2500rpm and you need to kick down the gears to get it to wake up. Agreed it has more top end performance but then the question is whether a 4 cylinder petrol engine thrashing away at 5-6000rpm is really the kind of engine that is appropriate for a RR/RRS. Not in my book

As for how successful a RR/RRS EV is going to be, there is going to be no choice after 2035

Post #623077 Thu Mar 24 2022 1:51pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

Jjvd21 wrote:
Most recent video of the new RRS at the Nurburgring leave a lot to be desired about the exhaust note. I didn't realize that BMW engine produced such little low end grunt...

It's a twin-turbo, hence the muted exhaust.

I was also very disappointed when I watched the clip. Neutral --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #623095 Fri Mar 25 2022 6:27am
Punkawallah

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Adriatic Blue

Having owned 2 diesel RRSs incl. a SDV6 and now owning a 5.0 s/c I can confirm that the low-down torque of this particular petrol vastly outperforms the diesels. It’s a totally different car to drive - I spent my first few days lurching around, almost shocked by the off-the-line grunt available.

The SDV6’s main issue (aside from occasionally snapping cranks) in my mind was how slow to react it was off the line - the infamous roundabout/junction hesitation caused many a red face over my ownership.

Apart from the obvious fuel-consumption disadvantage, I cannot think of a single thing I’d change about the 5.0 s/c setup. 2013 L494 V8 s/c Autobiography Dynamic

Post #623137 Sat Mar 26 2022 8:01pm
Canary

England 

I have been lucky to own both an x5 4.4 v8 and a few scv8 sports in recent years and all I can say is the v8 in the bmw was poor in comparison to the ford built v8.

It had a poor sound, it was sluggish low down in the revs unlike the scv8 and the power delivery was more a throttle issue in the beemer but I never liked its behaviour. Overall I just never liked that engine and I definitely won't be looking to a buy sport with that engine in the future and a bad mistake from jlr to source this specific engine.

And let's not discuss the reliability of the 4.4 which is well known to overheat being a hotvee which is surely the last thing jlr need on top of having poor reliability across their products when the scv8 was considered old tech but very reliable and I haven't had a single issue across 4 x scv8 engines MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect 👍
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect 👌
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect 👌
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect 👌
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #623147 Sun Mar 27 2022 2:06pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Jeez Shocked

Spent a week in Vegas come back and the threads been completely derailed Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

My order is already in will know more about lead times next week!

Post #623188 Mon Mar 28 2022 8:45pm
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

Rolling with laughter

My order already in as well, 1st in line at my local dealership, hopefully an SVR will be available at launch??

Post #623189 Mon Mar 28 2022 9:17pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Yes my order is for an SVR indeed but not sure how they’ll stagger them. Will deffo be a launch edition though but maybe not an SVR launch edition.

Post #623195 Mon Mar 28 2022 10:30pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

from another forum:

Daddykay24, post: 2367464, member: 27422 wrote:

I had the privilege to see the new sport today and the photo from above is very close to what it looks like.

There were two of them available for us to view. One was in a mate silver in the SE edition and the other was special color for car shows only in a beautiful red with gold flakes. This was called the "First Edition". The First Edition will be the top of line with 4 colors only. Blue, Red, Black, and a new light green.

The bad news, NO SVR upon its launch in May. That's right, They are not offering the SVR for a while so the 530 hp First Edition with a BMW engine is tops for now.

The interior is very similar to the new full size with the one floating center screen.

Overall, the vehicle looks good and very similar to the current model blended with the Velar.

There will also be a price increase as the First Edition starts at $120000 and its the only one you can get with a V8.
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #623253 Thu Mar 31 2022 7:37am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

I’ll update you on Sunday when I see it in person!

Post #623256 Thu Mar 31 2022 11:17am
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

I saw it yesterday morning and the comments above are pretty accurate. It's a big step up in interior quality - potentially on a par with my previous Bentayga.

Some really cool new tech, so they are definitely moving the game forward.

Starting price is going up to about £85k delivered, with a first edition i ordered with a few basic tweaks, coming in at about £119k. So it's about 10-12% up on an equivalent L494. Rather ambitiously, they are aiming for September deliveries. One nice touch was the use of "crushed carbon" on the interior.

I spoke to the design chiefs and the new car has been handed to SVO, who are working their magic, but that's at least 6-9 months away. Which is disappointing, but well worth the wait...predicted start price for an SVR is going to be c£120k, pushing to about £140k with essential options and potentially topping out at closer to £160k with all the toys / carbon etc.

Biggest disappointment of the night - i ordered a First Edition with the 4.4l V8 petrol, but the colour choices are genuinely appalling. Firenze, Santorini, a grey blue (Like Byron) and a new grey / green that leaves little to be desired. Hoping the red used for the launch car and advertising will be the new SVR only colour!

Already put the name down for the first SVR at my dealer, but i don't think i'd swap an existing SVR for the new one. It will have to be an additional car when it arrives. Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #623270 Fri Apr 01 2022 8:04am
markymarkf

United Kingdom 

Reading this I have no idea what to do now..

I have an SVR coming at the end of this month. Plus I have an order in the for new Range Rover that is going to take about 12 months.

I know I will place an order for the New RRS once I see it..

do I take delivery of the SVR? or keep my current M4

do u cancel my RR order?

how far do you guys think we are away from release date? and what is a realistic delivery time frame for customers to get the new Sport.

so much activity going on im not shure what to do for the best.. I deffo only want one car at a time haha SVR Carbon Edition in Estoril Blue MY 21.5

P400e HSE Dynamic full on black with black pack, Meridian surround sound, Fixed Pano roof.

Past MY17 SDV6 HSE Dynamic Yulong White and ivory leather.

Post #623275 Fri Apr 01 2022 11:46am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Keep your order live. You can always cancel it when the spec has to be locked in.
Other questions, only you can answer that. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #623278 Fri Apr 01 2022 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>