Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Gearbox leak monitoring/dash alert
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

HappyHammer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black
Gearbox leak monitoring/dash alert

Hi guys,

So, i have a lovely RRS, 2011 S/C. 5L.

Had a gearbox flush at 65k, the other month. Since then, i have a leak onto the garage floor. I took it back to the Indie who said it was residual oil and they’d tightened everything up.

Looks like it still leaks, though possibly a little less than before. The Indie isn’t close and with Covid, they don’t allow waiting. Therefore, my wife has to follow each time i take it in, so i can get home. Subsequently, i’m reluctant to take it back again if monitoring the oil ‘level’ is possible in some way.

Is there a on-dash alert for when the gearbox oil drops low, or any signs to look for when driving that will indicate that i need to return to the garage for a more thorough exploration?

Thanks to you all in advance. RRS 2011. 5L, S/c in Sumatra Black. She's lurvely.

Post #616476 Sun Aug 08 2021 11:33am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

There is no way of monitoring transmission oil level with a warning on the dash/ instrument panel, I believe the only way to check the oil level is via the level plug on the side of the transmission, probably find the only sign you get when driving with a transmission leaking oil, is a transmission overheat warning or losing drive when oil gets low enough. If you are certain it is transmission oil leaking I suggest you get it fixed now before it develops in to something more expensive.

Cheers
Col

Post #616479 Sun Aug 08 2021 9:45pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

If you have a set of suitable ramps, or a trolley jack and axle stands, you could get underneath, take the shields off and have a good look yourself. Give it a good clean round the gearbox and TC, take it for a drive and get back under it. If your indi is correct, you will be reassured, and if you do have a leak you can tell them where it's coming from so they can fix it.
I always find it helps to speak to people armed with a degree of knowledge as it makes them less inclined to try to fob you off.

Post #616486 Mon Aug 09 2021 8:32am
NeilN

South Africa 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Atacama Sand

Did you manage to solve the problem?
I seem to have a similar problem. Had my gearbox oil replaced last year for the first time, and since then have had a slow leak. It has been back 3 times. Last time the sump was replaced, seemed to be sorted, but noticed a leak about a month later.
Maybe Oldandconfused has the solution - get under the car yourself and look for the leak!!

Post #617855 Mon Oct 04 2021 12:38pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The electric connector sleeve is the common problem

Post #617873 Mon Oct 04 2021 5:49pm
Boxers

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Had the same problem with mine, the gearbox sump was found to be leaking new sump pan fitted ( part no. DA2142 gearbox filter sump conversion kit ) the kit was priced at £70.91 + VAT when I had it replaced last year in August, pleased to confirm no more oil on the garage floor.

Post #617878 Mon Oct 04 2021 8:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1