Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Aircon System Cleanse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

pjbracer1

England 
Aircon System Cleanse

HI All

Anyone go any good experience on AC cleaning? Since the car has had the engine swapped out it was left standing for some time with no air going through the system and then the aic was tested and worked for a day then the gas escaped and it stopped working so have had that sorted now, but upon start up there is a whiff or the AC mold smell thatgoes after a min or so .

Ive changed the carbon/pollen cabin filter and it is much better (it was filth and I dont think has ever been changed.

I understand that it couldnt be a condensor issue as other psots on here have suggested but in those same posts others have said that even after a change the problem comes back, which leads me to believe most of the smell it probably the damp buildup in the vent themselves probably due to condensate when the air in the car is old and the systme is shut down when you park.

So Ive just tried in her indoors Alfa one of the STP AC clenaing things from Halfords and it seems to smell fresher in there already but the can does have a scent to it which I wanted to avoid if I could as the iside of my car still smells of new cars smell ish even those she is getting on! Just wondered if anyone had any products they might have used, I see Tube vidoes saying spray Lysol into the air vents but not sure this will work if there is a cabin filter.

Even it this is something that needs to be done once a quarter maybe its probably worth it. I know I can take it to a garage but Im pretty sure they will only be doing what I can do in my own garage.

Any ideas appreciated If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #615898 Mon Jul 19 2021 11:38am
2 RRS

United Kingdom 

Seem to recall there was a TSB for "moldy smell from aircon" on MY14-15, due to insufficient drains from the main unit. Dash out job to sort, hence not many people wanted that done and hence put up with it.

Post #615903 Mon Jul 19 2021 1:15pm
pjbracer1

England 

Yes thats what I heard too not sure if I trust them to remove the dash without putting it back with a rattle or squeak! So was looking at alternatives, Her indoors car seem to semll ok but there is a bit of a scent left behind but its not that bad, just owndered if there was anything else out there that didnt leave a smell behind as such.

Its not that bad if im honest and probably compounded by the humid hot weather we are having and not getting much use too!

Seeing as Ive changed the carbon filter it must be in the ducts somewhere so probabl the best bet is one of these aerosol flushes

Not sure how you can clean the drains on them if they are even accessible If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #615911 Mon Jul 19 2021 4:21pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Never been in a car yet that doesn't have a bit of " AC smell " during operation. Bite the bullet and use an aerosol cleaner ( Halfords) on a regular basis and also make a habit of turning the AC on most every day for a short while,, no matter what the weather. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #615912 Mon Jul 19 2021 4:23pm
pjbracer1

England 

Yeah thats true my merc had a similar start up smell but dont rmeber my last sport having it so much. I dont hardly use this one so thought the bom method to be the simplest just owndered if anyone had a good experience with a particular brand that doesnt make the car smell like a tarta handbag after! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #615916 Mon Jul 19 2021 4:38pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I wonder if the secret to odourless aircon is always leave it on? I've done this for years and haven't had any problems or bad smells. I just set a temperature, 21.5 C and leave it on auto, never touch it apart from severe cold and frost.

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #615922 Mon Jul 19 2021 5:12pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It is a long time since we had simple air conditioning functions, climate control has been around a long time and should be left on.

In the winter it helps keep the humidity level down and so avoids misty windows. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #615923 Mon Jul 19 2021 5:37pm
pjbracer1

England 

Mine is always on I dont see the point in turning it off for the minimal amount it saves also AC systems like to be used, climate control I think uses it anyway so its quite difficult to turn it off. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #615928 Mon Jul 19 2021 9:12pm
SC247

United Kingdom 

Did you find anything to cure the smell mine as just started smelling.

Post #616620 Mon Aug 16 2021 1:41pm
Kevin-t

United Kingdom 

Not a Sport however might be worth a shot Exclamation

Skip to 22 mins in...........https://youtu.be/i9BWbdF5lHo

Not used myself, however looks interesting stuff. This guy is No fool Thumbs Up

Post #616622 Mon Aug 16 2021 1:57pm
pjbracer1

England 

So I tried a STP one from Halford or amazon (tested one in the missus car first! Smelt ok to be fair I didnt want a perfume smell and have never been keen on car air freshners, this one seemed to works for a bit, I took the filter out and then let it go and then left the windows open for the rest of the day to let it breath. And for the next few days I could smell the scent from it but it did slowly go away. I then started to try turning the heat on just before I got out of the car to see if drying the ducts out might help too.

It is alot better than it was but I can still smell it a bit. I might do another one and try something else.

My car dosnt get used much and has still got some of the original new car smell left, and I had a Gliptone Leather pad (its like a piieve of card soaked for a long time in leather tanins. They are quite potents but works really well in an old Jag I detailed for a mate, so thought Id try it, its one of the small ones so I tore it in half and put ech but inder the drivers seat rear covers.

Now when i open the door I get a nice subltle cliniical leather smell that make the cars smell fresh and new. forget the fancy "new car smell" sprays and freshners this does the trick. New cars smell less and less now as the materials used in them are more friendly to the world and give off much less scent (the cheaper cars still have it but the further up the chain they go the less palstic and so its really just a mild leather smell and not too overpowering, using those little pads brings this back really well. Until you put the AC on that is! Rolling with laughter No its not that bad I think another ac bomb and it will do the trick. I think maybe as I dont really do many long trips (I do for cleaning out the DPF once a week but not all the time I thingk maybe the ducts just have some old condensate in them long before I got the car.

Its really not that bad and its not all the time.

If anyone else has any netural smelling stuff they have used ill give it a go! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #617153 Fri Sep 10 2021 8:27pm
Coleman19d

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My 2 products I use.

The first I used for a similar situation when the Air-con was faulty and a strange smell occurs once it’s fixed. Autoglym market this as a 6 monthly cleaner with a citrus smell. Works well, you may need 2 treatments if it’s been stood a while.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Air-Con-...&psc=1

The next product is autoglym’s Air-con sanitiser. This is marketed as a monthly treatment / top up. I use them every 6 months or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-AS150-Co...&psc=1

Post #617159 Fri Sep 10 2021 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1