RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > MY17 SDV6 Crankshaft issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

TimD

United Kingdom 

OK, so I'm pretty much stepping away from the V6 idea (though still not seeing many, if any, reports of the MY17 cars having the issue - maybe time will tell though!)

I've definitely moved to looking for the V8 - (V6 is better mpg, and less tax, but in the grand scheme of things, it not masses different - but more power and less worry of a ticking bomb!).

So, with budget of around £40k, a V8 RRS Autobiography seems to be 2015, or 2016. And I can get in a 2017/18 X5 40d or 50d for this. Pros and cons for each, but my biggest one is the infotainment!
How bad IS the 2015 inControl system? I know bmw system is probably best in market, so won't compare, but I've been used to a 2010 XC90, a 2013 porsche, a 2012 Infiniti FX, and a 2015 Touareg - so nothing super amazing there!!
I've kinda used Waze for nav anyway, but it's the audio playback I really need - I use Deezer and Bluetooth stream. How's the music playback in the 2015 system? Slow? Buggy? Poor quality? Or no issues and great?

(I still prefer the RRS over the X5 in a lot of ways - especially living on a hill on the edge of the moors!)

Post #615077 Wed Jun 23 2021 8:35am
Crraigymmmmm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Really! how many cranks have failed vs how many V6s out there? its hardly a common issue. its just the ones that are a problem get reported online - usually people just sign up to report it then they vanish. Sure its a concern but the chances of it happening are low, Just get a good warranty that covers it, Why would'nt you have a warranty on a RR anyway? If you look at other marques you will find just as scary issues that are .... "common online" ....... I have read almost every forum that has this point reported, although not thorough or proved it seems to be cars that have done a lot of short runs / diluted / aged oil / low oil level on most failures. These engines use oil and if the level isn't maintained with good correct grade oil then what do you expect. if mine fails then its bad luck and ill eat my hat but I love the car and the engine is very good. my warranty company have given me in writing that I am covered so ill enjoy the car. ok mine is a L320 but the same principle.

With people speculating online just affect the resale of them - reducing the sale prices - making them a better buy for people like me Smile

Post #615084 Wed Jun 23 2021 9:55am
TimD

United Kingdom 

I think it's more that if the crankshaft goes (and there's literally no way of knowing if it will or not - no matter how well serviced), the result is catastrophic and needing a new engine - at a massive cost.

I can cope with the possibility of something failing over time, or due to mis-use, but the crankshaft and new engine (and associated cost) worries me!

Out of interest, where did you get the warranty from that covered the crankshaft? I would be putting a warranty on, but though this would be an exclusion (I've have experience with warrantyWise, and they do anything and everything to wiggle out of paying!)

Post #615085 Wed Jun 23 2021 10:04am
Crraigymmmmm

I can PM you the company but I have heard of a few companies paying out, When taking out the policy ( i used them for a few years on previous cars) I specifically asked if the Crank / bearing issue on this engine is covered and I have confirmation that it is before buying the car.
Why would you believe that they wouldn't pay out its not like there is a recall or anything on the issue.? I did see a post by Oval autos saying WW were resisting but the key point with warranties is making sure you have wear and tear cover and max values etc.

Post #615089 Wed Jun 23 2021 10:59am
TimD

United Kingdom 

Yeah, PM the company - that would be great. (an if you can, the rough cost) Smile

The problem I had with WW was with the Porsche Panamera - It had a sudden engine issue and was discovered to be a chain guide in the engine. A non replaceable part and something what should last for the life of the car. The WW inspection said it may have been wearing for a while, so no payout and a £3k bill for me! (The car had full Porsche dealer servicing). I've heard a lot of cases where WW use the 'may have been wearing for a while' get out as well as known issues.

"In the engineers opinion and based on the visible evidence he confirmed the left hand bank of the
engine displays evident wear to the timing chain and subsequent break up of the timing guide.
Examination of the timing chain showed it was complete but evidently worn and the engineer
believed the timing chain has contacted the timing chain guides resulting in break up of the guide
structure.
The timing chain tensioner was visibly intact but worn.
The independent engineer concluded that this condition is not a sudden mechanical breakage
and has not solely developed in the vehicles last journey and in the engineers opinion this issue
would have been developing at plan inception."

So, I doubt WW would cover the crankshaft!

Post #615090 Wed Jun 23 2021 11:14am
Crraigymmmmm

But if the crank fails it is a sudden failure.
Did your WW cover for wear and tear? i.e did you have to have an inspection carried out for the wear and tear to be effective?

Post #615091 Wed Jun 23 2021 11:21am
Spleen

United Kingdom 

TimD wrote:

Pros and cons for each, but my biggest one is the infotainment!
How bad IS the 2015 inControl system? I know bmw system is probably best in market, so won't compare, but I've been used to a 2010 XC90, a 2013 porsche, a 2012 Infiniti FX, and a 2015 Touareg - so nothing super amazing there!!

Bad enough for me to significantly up my budget so that I didn't have a car with it. Utterly intolerable after living with BMW's iDrive for several years. Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #615104 Wed Jun 23 2021 9:24pm
Chips

England 

Yes I got out of a MY16 into an MY18 just to get rid of the sat nav , new one much better , not to Audi level that I had previously but good enough . Unfortunately despite living rurally in steep hills and doing over 20k miles per year with full LSH the MY18 snapped a crank ! It's just pot luck and nothing to do with servicing or driving style . Our My 16 suffered oil dilution which the MY18 doesn't but it's crank was fine MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #615112 Thu Jun 24 2021 9:09am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

If you look at QP Online, I think the crank issue is wildly under reported. I've run 2 V6 cars and put big mileages on both, would I buy another...no. Get the V8 and have done with it, apart from coolant leaks when they get older, they seem a stronger engine. You can shop around and get warranties but its only when you claim that you find out how good they are. Some people have had great success with the JLR Approved Used Warranty, others not.

Post #615126 Thu Jun 24 2021 5:50pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Chips wrote:
Yes I got out of a MY16 into an MY18 just to get rid of the sat nav ,

Do people really use the in-car sat nav? Google maps on the phone set at the base of the A-pillar where it's easily visible and out of the way. Much better than in-car systems and no need to worry about updating the in-car system. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #615131 Thu Jun 24 2021 8:29pm
Johnrrs

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

Mine Has the old tech been a 2015 model but I haven’t really got a problem with it. It’s a lot better/quicker than my 2012 RRS tech

Post #615135 Thu Jun 24 2021 10:54pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The issue I have with in car systems is the need to laboriously input the destination. It's bad enough if there's just one, but if doing a route with a number of stops, it takes several minutes with LR's glacial system (the newest one might be quicker, don't know).

I use Google Maps on my phone. I just set up my day's route on my PC and ping it across to the phone. Easy to do and I can do it whilst finishing my coffee. Then just go out to the car, put the phone in the cradle, press start on the app and off I go.

I think some car manufacturers allow the same with their in car systems as they are based on Google Maps. Then I'd be happy to use the in car system because you set up your route before you go near the car. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #615142 Fri Jun 25 2021 10:30am
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

I can do this with my 2018 RRS nav? You can plan a route on your PC or phone and then it's ready to go when you get in the car.

Post #615144 Fri Jun 25 2021 10:33am
Spleen

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Chips wrote:
Yes I got out of a MY16 into an MY18 just to get rid of the sat nav ,

Do people really use the in-car sat nav?

Well, yes. Have no particular issue with it and can't be arsed with using my iPhone. Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #615168 Fri Jun 25 2021 9:07pm
Turdmon

United Kingdom 

Apple CarPlay is excellent on the later models and I purposely sought out a vehicle which had it. The Incontrol sat nav is ok, but it’s not really currect unless you’re paying for updates whereas CarPlay is free and better.

Post #615311 Wed Jun 30 2021 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>