Home > General (L494) > Retofit Fail on RRS MY16 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

pjbracer1

England 

I reckon you might have a switch for the later 2017 on models then

Like this https://partslinkent.com/17-18-land-rover-...on-switch/

or this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-RANGE-ROVE...SwURhePFMA
the latter I think it is the one that should be correct or it coudl be the other way round (depending on which you have)

It look the same but I think the little socket could be intended for the newer cars, I think the backend software changed around 2017 (the SatNAV screen had an update at the same time) were as the 2015-2016 had some minor updates.

I think the 2016 had a slightlight different Satnav side button icons and an updated OS.

Can you take a picture of the sockets on yours with the part number and i can cehck it agaisn the one I have and see if it looks the same, and maybe someone else who has done this on a later model can check? If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #610589 Thu Feb 25 2021 3:05pm
TubaPlayer

United Kingdom 

This is the original switch in the car

As you can see the plug is smaller than the one on the photos with the LDW switch.

There is also this connector behind the dash
 2016 Black SDV8 Autobiography
2013 Grey Black Edition SDV6 (lasted a while but gone now)
2005 Grey Supercharged Sport (gone but never forgotten)

Post #610619 Fri Feb 26 2021 10:59am
SC247

United Kingdom 

TubaPlayer wrote:
I have the newer switch as you suggested and the green plug fits and works correctly, the grey plug has three wires in it and is small than the hole for it on the new switch, it will plug in but the boot doesn't operate from the switch!

I would say you have the wrong part as if the plugs smaller than the whole it will never work

Post #610632 Fri Feb 26 2021 2:39pm
pjbracer1

England 

The part I bought for mine which is for the later models anyway cam with a little harness cable

You can see its plugged into the slot on the left of the swtich and I looped it around the switch so I could get it into the picture.

This part is for the MY16 car (granted it has the side step button on it also (so the harness could be for that) but I dont htink it is as the socket that harness connects into on the switch is the same sock that my 2014 car has (the 2014-2015 cars didnt have the larger Green connector on the switch (well mine didnt anyway)

Maybe the switches are sold as individual items for replacements but if perfoming an upgrade you might need the harness as part of the kit.

I think the switch is probably from maybe the 2017 on car perhaps unless there is anyone who has a 2017 model could confirm it.

It's hard work all this I bet if someone had access to the LR EPC online these parts could be found much more easily, I got a quote and its $550 per year through autopartscatalogue.net not sure how much JLR charge for it. be handy if we could maybe do a group buy and share the creds to use it but it would need management! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #610633 Fri Feb 26 2021 2:52pm
Heremyjill

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

From the information that 'pjbracer1' and I have now discovered, you have the correct rear view mirror for a MY2016 vehicle. The 'G' indicates a MY2015/16 fitment "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB
Now 2018MY Ford Fiesta ST Line 140bhp
Gone 2006MY BMW X5 3.0d Le Mans
Gone 2001MY BMW 530d Estate

Post #610873 Tue Mar 02 2021 9:20am

Sweden 

TubaPlayer wrote:
I have the newer switch as you suggested and the green plug fits and works correctly, the grey plug has three wires in it and is small than the hole for it on the new switch, it will plug in but the boot doesn't operate from the switch!

Change over to this position on the grey plug, then it will work.

RRS 2016 TDV6
DII 1999 V8

Post #611229 Tue Mar 09 2021 2:44pm
machintruck

France 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Galway Green

Hello
Excuse my English, it's GOOGLE translation

I come back to you to tell you that I have finally succeeded in the AHB, LWD, TSR retrofit for a 2016 RRS.
The GPLA-17E768-GC LR058506 dated 01/16/16 is the correct mirror.
The FK72-11654-DC is the right switch

First the reasons that the retrofit with JLR SDD did not work and that I had a permanent error on LWD, lost the PAM ECU and damaged the IPMB ECU (rear camera).

1) Diagnostic port with false contacts which generates read / write errors on the modules.
2) unreliable Chinese Mangoose or VCI tools
3) Fault on the secondary battery power supply (Bad contact on the GROUND which meant that only the battery was active (the charging time of the modules is very long for updating the IPMA, for its calibration and battery did not withstand the shock).

To remedy these problems:
1) I bought an original JLR VCI (since processing is much faster and I have more untimely ECU recognition errors).
2) I have disassembled the ODB Port and check, clean, calibrate all the connections.
3) I corrected the cables of my 13.4V 30A power supply.
4) I bought an IIDTool
5) I took a TOPIX one day subscription to download all documentation for the RRS MY16 car. This allowed me to check all the ECU wiring and fuses.

Returning the car with working PAM ECU and IPMB ECU.

PAM ECU:
1) The PAM module was no longer visible to IIDTool and JLR SDD. I bought a used PAM ECU.
2) The new ECU has been recognized by IIDTool and JLR-SDD. However, it was not on the correct firmware, Pat from GAP sent me the correct firmware and everything was OK again.

IPMB ECU (rear camera):
1) The IPMB ECU had lost firmware but it was visible to IIDTool and JLR-SDD.
2) Pat from GAP, indicated to me that he could not update it: (everything connected to the camera module, audio system and Nav cannot be updated through the OBD port. use the USB diagnostic port which we cannot access.)
3) I tried to configure an existing module with JLR-SDD. JLR SDD updated the firmware and then did a checkout and configuration procedure of the IPMB ECU. Everything is OK

The car being OK again I tried the AHB, LWD, TSR retrofit

The mirror mounted on RRS MY16, JLR-SDD recognizes the mirror as IPMA (this confirmed by members of JLR PATHFINDER on Facebook). IIDTool does not recognize it.
I took the rearview mirror apart and looking at the PCB found an SOP8 NXP A51 / C semiconductor which is an HS-CAN like the NXP TJA1051 semiconductor. High-speed CAN transceiver. (Confirmed on Facebook by a member of EEPROM SOLUTION).

I have studied the documents from TOPIX (418-00 -RESEAU DE COMMUNICTIONS DU (BUS CH_HS-CAN and Diagnostic Connector), 501-09 - MIRROR) and have concluded:
On the RRS MY 2016 the mirror is on a HS_HS-CAN Bus
On an RRS MY14-15 the mirror is on an MS-CAN Bus
Pat from GAP confirmed my analysis.
This is why on a 2014-15 RRS we talk about HCMB on an MS-CAN bus, on a 2016 RRS we talk about IPMB on an HS-CAN bus

Pat from GAP modified the IDTool firmware to recognize the IPMB ECU: 4.00.00 B2772 (Beta) - Beta Added L405 / L494 IPMA.
The IPMA module was recognized by IIDTool, it was up to date (good firmware, which proves that JLR-SDD had done its job well at the beginning).
I modified the CCF and tested the car.
At first I got a warning telling me there was a problem on Lane Departure.
After 5 minutes on the motorway, the message has disappeared and everything is OK. The AHB, LWD, TSR retrofit is OK.

Conclusion
Attention RRS 2014-15, rearview mirror: the ECU and HCMB it is mounted on an MS-CAN bus
RRS 2016, rear view mirror: the ECU is IPMB mounted on an HS-CAN bus.

The switch does not matter, we can retrofit without it, it only serves to turn the LWD ON more easily.

You can retrofit with JLR-SDD. The procedure is: Install the mirror, update the old ECU module (IMPA or HCMB), then update the CCF and finally calibrate the mirror if there is an error.

Be very careful to back up the car battery with a 12V power supply of at least 30A.
Check your ODB port (clean connection). This is valid for JLR-SDD as for IIDTool

I have regained confidence with the JLR SDD tool but you need to have a good diagnostic tool to be sure of what you are doing. (My suggestion, do not think of saving money, on a car of this price, by buying a Chinese clone, you will always have doubts in the event of a problem and you risk crashing your jewel).

IIDTool does not recognize all ECUs in my car, but it is a safe solution with 5-star support with help from Pat from GAP

I thank all the members who responded on this post. By their thoughts and knowledge, they enabled me to solve this retrofit.
I hope that these last explanations will allow enthusiasts like me to realize this retrofit.

Last thought, I realized during my research that the professional JLR world is a closed world. Don't expect to have information from them. They keep their experiences to themselves. It preserves their JOB. I have read posts without commenting on the mentality of some. This is my opinion and commits me.

Best Regards

Post #613923 Sun May 23 2021 11:10am
pjbracer1

England 

Good work chap glad you now have it sorted, the bus is different on those models cars as you hence the upgraded items on the 2016 on, like the AC unit haveing the heated seats imbedded in the temp controls again like they used to be on the L320!

Good write up now you need anpther project! Wink If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #613926 Sun May 23 2021 11:24am
machintruck

France 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Galway Green

Thank you pjbracer1 your comments are always highly appreciated.
New challenges ;
Retrofit ACC and then Blind spot
To be continued

Post #613929 Sun May 23 2021 12:33pm
pjbracer1

England 

If you are gonna do blindspot might be worth thinking of revers traffic detection too! and if you have to take the rear bumper off mght as will rerto fit the side parking sensors on the reaer lower quarters so you can can try and get perpendiuclar park working. mine has parallel park and the only thing it needs for perpendicular is the side sensors but its a bumper off to fit them and I can be bothered!

Good luck, the ACC has been rerto fitted by some guys already over the rangerovers . net site (probably on here too but have searched) If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #613931 Sun May 23 2021 1:41pm

Sweden 

ACC retrofit :
Front bumper off
Plug in new/old radar
Change RH switch pack on steering wheel
Activate CCF
Test drive

Of course every step needs a bit of reading how to do .
Useful info on RangeRover.net site

One of best upgrade in my opinion. ******************
RRS 2016 TDV6
DII 1999 V8

Post #614072 Fri May 28 2021 6:27am
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 

Hi all i am looking to retro fit TSR to my 2014 RRS, does anyone know if you still need to change the mirror if you have high beam assist and acc already?

I am not fussed about lane assist.

Post #634488 Sun Jul 23 2023 10:23am
pjbracer1

England 

Yes read this post If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #634489 Sun Jul 23 2023 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12