RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Programming new key - anyone heard of this error?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Vermont_Jack

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Programming new key - anyone heard of this error?

I ordered a replacement spare key for my 2010 RRS via my local indie who, in turn, ordered it directly from Land Rover. I had to provide my V5C for the key. The key cost me £300.

It arrived today, so I took my car in for the programming. However, after multiple attempts, they were unable to get it working. Their tool (SDD) showed this error:

“The keyless vehicle module fitted to the vehicle is incorrect, please check part number as it should be either BJ32 or DPLA”.

My car has keyless entry and keyless ignition.

The indie was friendly about it and is doing further digging. In the meantime, I’m stuck with one key and one expensive paperweight.

One point to add - the new key is the newer (lighter and scratchier) model. My current key is the big rubber brick with metal trim around the outside.

Post #609468 Tue Feb 02 2021 6:53pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I think you may find L/R have updated the KVM module numerous times due to security issues, it's only a suggestion but you may find your new key is not compatible with the original KVM module, the part I would be slightly concerned with is if you fitted the later KVM to suit new key it may not be compatible with the one original key you have and still only be left with one key. As I say It is only a thought but may be worth checking out with L/R before spending any more money.

Cheers
Col

Post #609475 Tue Feb 02 2021 9:33pm
Vermont_Jack

Thanks for your reply Col.

I’ve had a message from someone on Rangerovers.net that had a similar issue - they needed to update the KVM to allow the new key programming. Hopefully my indie can get to the bottom of the issue, otherwise I’ll have to get in touch with JLR directly. I just hope that the money I spent on the new key isn’t down the drain.

I bought the car a month ago with only one key and I’m very uncomfortable not having a spare.

Post #609479 Tue Feb 02 2021 9:48pm
Goffy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

This sounds familiar. I have a 2010 MY L320 which came with only one key, so I asked my Indy from whom I bought the car to get a second, also to delete the missing key from the system.

As you have found, it transpires there were three variants of the KVM module. The early one (before my car) could be programmed by ayone, therefore a security risk. The second (as fitted to mine) couldn't be programmed by a dealer. So I had to have the third (I believe latest) fitted, which worked.

As a bonus, the new KVM module now allows me to disable the keyless entry as per the Youtube video:-

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&...4pHVoKTsKi

I think the new KVM module cost approx £175, but worth the extra security.

Post #609508 Wed Feb 03 2021 1:40pm
Vermont_Jack

Update:

I ordered a replacement KVM from eBay (£60 with postage), which the mechanic fitted/programmed for me. It took a long time (>2hrs), but they were finally able to get both keys synced with the KVM. For a while, only one key at a time would work - it would swap keys every time they tried it.

Eventually, they programmed each key individually, completely shutting the PC down between each key, and it worked!

Post #609743 Tue Feb 09 2021 5:37pm
Goffy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Well done, glad to hear that you've fixed the problem.

I seem to remember that my Indy found the programming to be a pig of a job and I ended up leaving the car with him overnight!

Now's a good time to disable the keyless entry if you haven't already done so.

Post #609749 Tue Feb 09 2021 7:01pm
Micksandy

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Java Black

Iv got same problem ordered a Dpla one off eBay car had a ah42 kvm in. Can this be done on sdd as normal?

Post #630367 Sat Jan 28 2023 5:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1