Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Help with approved used spec choice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jamesgarbett

United Kingdom 
Help with approved used spec choice

Hi all just about to pull the trigger on an approved used RRS

Got a choice of HSE, HSED and ABD - any particular reason to choose one over the other? I know the differences just not sure how much they are worth having in real life

Any other options which are must haves?

Finally any exterior or interior colours to avoid? I'm not keen on black or white but apart from that will consider any paint colour

Thanks

Post #608519 Tue Jan 12 2021 9:43pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

I would go for HSE Dynamic or the AB Dynamic.

You get a few bits extra on the AB as standard which are optional on the HSE models.

AB comes with;

Panoramic sunroof...opening.. unless original owner spec'd a fixed pano roof.
Centre arm rest cubby box cooler
Heated stearing wheel...excellent option for winter.
Heated & cooled front seats and heated rear seats.
Different seat trim design for ABs
Greater adjustability in seats.
Full extended leather...ie leather covered dash and doir card tops and handles
Adaptive cruise control
Auto high beam assist
Blind spot assist (i think)
Red brembo brake calipers
21 inch wheels

Might have missed a few bits but think got most of the features

Post #608527 Tue Jan 12 2021 11:29pm
PEACHY

England 

James - welcome to the forum Thumbs Up
If your looking on the approved used site the differences can be compared relatively easy if you have a keen eye. HSE usually has the lesser priced alloys & a lower black plastic trim on bumpers & exterior door panels. The interior is less attractive & the toys & gadgets although well specked compared to other brands can be tame against the Dynamic & Autobiography.
I’ve only ever had the Autobiography because I like my RRS to feel as if I can justify the purchase price & running costs Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Approved used is overrated - since Xmas I have been looking for an SVR - deposit paid - finance signed but I had to push for an in depth video. Today I rejected the Sport due to the bonnet looking as though it had been following a gritter lorry for 3 days.
Absolutely Censored off.
May I ask your budget or Model Year your looking at? Mine is still for sale Whistle
Whatever you decide, happy searching & good luck but your in the right place for good honest advice here Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #608528 Tue Jan 12 2021 11:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamesgarbett

United Kingdom 

Thanks both

It seems like there is little difference between HSE and HSED but then a big jump to ABD in terms of spec

Budget around £30K but will only buy from main dealer as this is my first JLR product as well as the most I've ever spent on a car

If I end up sticking with the brand I might go for non main dealer or private next time

Although to be honest I'm not seeing a massive difference in prices between main dealer and not

Post #608533 Wed Jan 13 2021 9:27am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

HSE will probably not have the 2-speed transfer box. If you're only going to use it on the road then that probably won't bother you. The single speed transfer box fitted uses an epicyclic differential giving 40/60 drive front/rear in normal conditions with up to 65/35 and 20/80 as required. There is no electronic control of this so that's one less thing to go wrong if you're only going to use it on the road.

If you're going to tow, e.g. caravan, then you might want the 2 speed transfer box as it gives you the option of low range but also the centre diff can lock fully giving better traction in extremis. Although if you're getting stuck with a caravan you've probably chosen the wrong caravan site. Laughing

Otherwise, the differences between the three specs are generally in trim and toys. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #608537 Wed Jan 13 2021 9:56am
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Essential is panoramic roof, not necessarily sliding, and heated steering wheel.

Go and look at interiors, I wouldn’t have specced black seats and ivory dash/doors, but seeing it I really like, it just lifts it a bit

I bought mine a year ago from a dealer for about £32k with 40k miles, so 30k should be achievable
 Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #608538 Wed Jan 13 2021 10:00am
Grimble

United Kingdom 

The heated steering wheel is the best gadget ever. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #608556 Wed Jan 13 2021 3:48pm
Andy494

United Kingdom 

PEACHY wrote:
James - welcome to the forum Thumbs Up
If your looking on the approved used site the differences can be compared relatively easy if you have a keen eye. HSE usually has the lesser priced alloys & a lower black plastic trim on bumpers & exterior door panels. The interior is less attractive & the toys & gadgets although well specked compared to other brands can be tame against the Dynamic & Autobiography.
I’ve only ever had the Autobiography because I like my RRS to feel as if I can justify the purchase price & running costs Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Approved used is overrated - since Xmas I have been looking for an SVR - deposit paid - finance signed but I had to push for an in depth video. Today I rejected the Sport due to the bonnet looking as though it had been following a gritter lorry for 3 days.
Absolutely Censored off.
May I ask your budget or Model Year your looking at? Mine is still for sale Whistle
Whatever you decide, happy searching & good luck but your in the right place for good honest advice here Thumbs Up

Apologies for high jacking the thread but I think still relative!

PEACHY,

If you don’t mind me asking about you’re rejected SVR deal, did you initiate this via ‘click and collect’? I almost got into a deal via this but was told the price is the price, no movement! Oh sorry they were going to give me £50 of fuel! 🤣 I just can’t grasp that so I left it!

Did you get any movement on the listed price?

Can’t quite believe how they think we’d do a ‘click and collect’ on such an expensive motor that’s been used and almost bound to have imperfections which I do get- this is where a negotiation should be expected with willingness in my opinion.

Thanks

Post #608565 Wed Jan 13 2021 8:11pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
when your spending that much money (or any amount really Whistle )
I would but what suits You best, then the only things thats essential is what you want Question

we had a HSE Dynamic and it was great and ticked all our spec needs and it had a HEATED steering wheel, as well as other stuff Laughing

Thumbs Up

and dont forget the L/R approved warranty is only 1 year now and is an insurance policy that is "Approved" by L/R but is "Not" L/R Evil or Very Mad

. Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #608645 Fri Jan 15 2021 3:11pm
ids

United Kingdom 

+1 for the heated wheel. My old D3 didn't have one and I love this one.

I brought a 2017 HSE. It had a load of options but things I would say I 'miss'

- Better lights. It has the Bi-Xenon's but not with any of the ACE or Dim/Dip. Compared to my old D3 ones they are Censored . My missus 2019 Mini has LED lights that are amazing. I live in a Forrest and do a lot of night/dark driving.....

- Hi/Low Transfer Box. - Hasn't been an issue as I don't expect to 'lane' it. The Low Traction setting seemed to cope well in the recent slow and TR in GGS was fine.

- Dynamic mode - Yep wish it had this. Reads much better than standard and I am a spirited driver, although they do handle pretty well.

- ICE - It has the standard 'Meridan' but not branded set. Its OK, but my missus HK in her Mini is miles better.

Post #608655 Fri Jan 15 2021 7:28pm
pjbracer1

England 

Welcome

Im with Peachy AB all the way if you can get one, the standard extras are good and the leather look on the steering wheel makes the car look it value (small itme I know but its just keep the finish.

The Pano roof is great in the summer or the winter giant peice of glass that opens too, pasengers luv it!

Dynamic is worht the extra even if just for resale as it does make the car feel more planted, I test drove one with and one without on the same road and it is noticeable that there seem less roll and its seem a bit more point and shoot in dynamic mode when you want it.

Approved cars are normally more expensive simply cos its on an LR forecourt LR dont warrant it like others have said their approved warranty is just a rebadge MotorEasy or Warranty Wise policy and I bet they add their own fee too. So dont pay over the odds unless its really the one!

HSED trim is pretty good though so dont be put off in any way, its worth looking at the specs side by side and see which has the most features you will use or that might help resale further down the line. Alot of them are toys (I love toys) but most dont really get use all that much so its not worht paying for, I think some have ambient lighting where you can change the colour inside but its nto worth the money in all fairness it might be on the later model just before the face lift.

AB were the top end models and if new you could pick the interior colours and they came with a load of extra gadgets as standard but there were quite a few around that were HSED's that were speced up to almost AB spec but the prices are cheaper as they were not the AB (AB's had different leather and colour combos)

If the HSED has all of what you want and is a couple of grand cheaper than the AB then it covers the next years warranty for the differnce as you would save on the purchase price.

Make the pruchase that you feel most comfortable with as you dont want to get buyer remorse after wishing you didnt buy the next model up or down.

Good luck and haggle hard, its a premium car with a premium price tag so they wont have load of people queuing up behind you. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #608687 Sat Jan 16 2021 11:41am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

ids wrote:

- Better lights. It has the Bi-Xenon's but not with any of the ACE or Dim/Dip. Compared to my old D3 ones they are Censored . My missus 2019 Mini has LED lights that are amazing. I live in a Forrest and do a lot of night/dark driving.....

This seems to be a LR thing - the move from the original L320 to the facelifted L320 made the lights noticeably less good. I remember people moaning about the lights when the L494 came out. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #608688 Sat Jan 16 2021 12:03pm
pjbracer1

England 

Yeah Im not sure I think the lights on mine a pretty good but havent really been out in the country to test them, I was looking at maybe upgrading the bulbs ti Osram nightbreaker Laser as they seem to be the best but they are £129 for a pair and not really sure thats value and they are a hassle to swap out! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #608690 Sat Jan 16 2021 12:09pm
ids

United Kingdom 

Agreed. I don't think the bulbs are the issue. I suspect its the lens/reflector design so doubt they would improve much.

I am hoping one of the clever companies like Glohh will develop true plug and play LED front lights like they have done for the rears. That would be awesome.

I can manage Smile The jump to a L494 HSE from a 250K 05 plate D3 is as much a difference as to when I went from a D1 to a D3 !

Post #608708 Sat Jan 16 2021 4:24pm
pjbracer1

England 

I might try the new bulbs out of interest to see if there is a difference. Im surprised the guys in the east havent re-engineered the 2014-2017 head lights to incorporate the same tech as the the 2018 on lights so we coudl swap out the headlights and get the full pixel or matrix light setup but in the current shape lamp unit.

It would depned on hwo good thos lights are too I guess, that said any HID or Xenon is a massive improvement to H7 bulbs, jump in a car with normal lights it like driving without lights on!

Sorry OP for hijacking the thread, look forward to seeing some pics of yo final choice.

On another note I just saw a Loire Blue AB with parchment or very pale grey ivoy leather and it looked really nice, quite regal, you dont see many sports in that combo more l405 but it looked really good also no privacy glass which i think added to it as you could see the pale interior. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #608747 Sun Jan 17 2021 2:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1