RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Carplay retro fit 2013-2016 - Anyone tried this
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sterling01

Scotland 
Carplay retro fit 2013-2016 - Anyone tried this

Has anyone installed and can provide feedback, on the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto system from Unique Auto Developments?

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-a...port-l494/ Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
Gone - 2017 Audi A8 Sport
Gone - 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 - Great car.

Post #606834 Fri Nov 20 2020 10:06pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Looks cool. I fitted a wired CarPlay adapter in my 14 L494. Quite good.
- but sound is via AUX. and suffers from a bad earth noise despite fitting a suppressor.
- Bluetooth works. But the phone diverts to CarPlay. Which needs a manual AUX selection.

This unit connect via Bluetooth or USB. Which wouldn’t have the same problem.

Is be keen to review the fitting instructions if you can get them.

Maybe a group buy or a cheaper one for review? 2022 P440e AB

Post #606868 Sat Nov 21 2020 10:09pm
sterling01

Scotland 

I bought this unit and fitted it over the weekend.

Once up and running, Apple CarPlay works, but it takes a lot longer to get this installed and working due to appalling instructions.

Dashboard strip out. - The instructions supplied are just screen grabs of the YouTube video for the L405 and does not cover the L494 at all. Therefore, any instructions relating to the stripping of the dash or running cables are non-existent. Nothing to tell you that you need to remove the rear climate control vent panel to be able to then remove the silver trims that run front to back along the centre console. The instructions and video show the unit being located below the glovebox. This is not possible on the L494 as there is not enough space and the panel has a cut-out on it that would mean the unit or cables would fall through.

Unit Functionality - Once you power up the unit, the instructions fail again. I quickly got Apple CarPlay to display, but no audio. With it being wireless, I assumed the input source on the Range Rover system needed to be set to Bluetooth, but after a lot of messing about, it needs be set to aux. Once I got this sorted, the audio sounded terrible. Even though the volume was set to 10, it sounded like you were playing full blast and was very distorted. I then discovered a menu for the system where you could adjust the audio and other features about the system. In here, all audio levels were set to maximum. Once I dropped these to 50%, the sound was much better. None of this is mentioned anywhere in the instructions.

Support – Before I bought the unit, I contacted the pre-sales support asking if there were instructions for the L494 as the video showed the L405. I was assured the supplied instructions were comprehensive and easy to follow. This is false. The instructions have nothing to do with the L494. I contacted the after sales support. They gave wrong information on how to strip the dash. I don’t believe they have actually ever done an install on a L494 otherwise they would be very aware of the huge differences between the L494 and the L405.

Additional notes - I have a 3 MiFi box in the car to provide a Wifi hotspot. If I connect to CarPlay wirelessly, I cannot also connect to the WiFi hotspot. Therefore, Waze uses my mobile data. If I connect to Carplay with a lightning cable, I can connect to my hotspot and Waze uses my unlimited data allowance from 3. Not a fault, just something to note.

Final thoughts - I am fairly competent at these sorts of things. I am an IT engineer with 30 years’ experience. I have fitted many different types of single and double din units to many different cars over the years. But when I spend £550, I expect thorough start to finish instructions, and when there is an issue, I expect the after sales support to be knowledgeable. I could have chosen to have one of the authorised installers do the work, but the closest to me is 225 miles away.

Rating – I use this for Apple CarPlay so cannot comment on Android Auto. I would give this 4 out of 5 as it does function as expected. It loses a point as the screen can be very tricky to left and right swipe between pages. With regard to everything else, instructions provided, pre and post sales support, I would give it 1 out of 5. The single mark is because it arrived very quickly after my order and very well packaged. Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
Gone - 2017 Audi A8 Sport
Gone - 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 - Great car.

Post #607280 Mon Dec 07 2020 2:32pm
bmszabo

Netherlands 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Copy/paste from another forum (just as Sterling01), but here my experiences with this system and Android Auto:

Android Auto here, same hardware.
Works flawlessly wireless with AA, few functionalities lost:

* car navigation (of course, it uses display of nav)
* speed limit warnings on speed meter display; only shows speed limits picked up by cam, not info coming from car nav system (unplugged)
* reverse cam, all others screens (heating, etc) work w/o problems
* very annoying: as my mobile is connected through AA (wifi connection) AND BT, speaker output can randomly change during phone calls, losing sound during calls. No cure found yet.

All together works nice, OK, start up time system is about 10 sec, by the time I back out of garage, AA logo shows up.
Sound quality greatly improved by setting a ground loop isolator (about eur 10 on Amazon) before aux input.

Post #607458 Sun Dec 13 2020 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1