RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > P400e...2 weeks in and some feedback
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 
P400e...2 weeks in and some feedback

Well having had the P400e for a few weeks I thought I'd share some feedback particularly since I owned 2 TDV6 L494's.

- Quality of build and finish has definitely improved and the improved lighting design has upped the car's presence on the road
- Infotainment pretty good and is enhanced with the Apple and Android car play connectivity
- Seating has improved with foam firmer and better quality leather
- Standard extras like the plano roof, meridian sound, low box and remote cabin conditioner make a positive difference as does the intelligent full beam system
- Drive is very very good and the transition between electric and petrol engine is seamless
- Pull away and overtake is a lot sharper and acceleration e assisted is outstanding (in fact daft for size of car)
- Hybrid is charged off my domestic feed using a 2 5mm^2 non rolled extension.. charging the 13kw battery takes about 8 hours at about 30p per hour peak rate giving c 25 real miles of range for £2.40 max (though on overnight charging you can get that down to about £1.30 ).. inputting a postcode will spread the volts across the journey. Battery recharge does occur even if battery is zero range and on a 60 mile journey you could find about 4 miles of reclaimed e. A small amount of e is always there so maneuvering at slow speed is always using e
-Braking is firm and silent with the hybrid regen not impacting the brake system...unlike the noise we got out of the Lexus at slow speed
-we've done about 500 miles of mixed driving, including 2 x 70 mile motorway return journeys and have a running average mpg of 39..but we've seen ridiculous mpg numbers on short journeys.. there is facility to save e to use it later. Pure petrol gets 30 mpg on it's own.
-Even the underside looks cool and is very well protected as the picture shows

Special place to be.. just loving it !!!

And btw both the videos below helped with my buying decision
https://youtu.be/h-9mDgR7bk8
https://youtu.be/EUwzWHD3Htg P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #601926 Sat Jul 18 2020 4:16pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

That’s a great read and a very interesting photo. I’m in a fatty and now nearly 3000 miles in, so a slightly different view point on an identical drivetrain.

In London with cooled, massaging seat turned on, average stepped 11 mph etc, I am getting 15 to 17 miles EV range. I am fine with that. In the Alps I was getting 46 miles EV distance in general hybrid mode (yes, an actual measured forty six miles on EV, but average speed more like 30+ mph, and lots of downhill regen).

Low down pick up is snappy and mid range pick up is urgent. On the German autobahn it was effortless at all speeds. So the performance is perky and eager at all times, but let down by a lack of levelness in corners in the L405. You have to really reign it in on roundabouts and in sweeping corners for comfort’s sake. In my view, it suits the ethics of the fatty, but also it is an unnecessary limitation when I am sure the adaptive dynamic flat ride gizmo should have been available, and would much suit the performance of the car which is the second fastest in the range. Crazy they left this off.

In town, the experience is let down by a combination of transmission slap and unpredictable braking due to regen. You get used to it. But it creates some jerkiness.

I actually think fuel economy is poor, in mine. Sure, I can run on EV and actually that is my preference. On a longer (but short!) run I can easily get 80+mpg with combined hybrid, petrol, ev. In save mode this goes down to 25 to 30 mpg on a run depending on how much you enjoy the perky kick down, and then down to 17 to 23 mpg in town. Don’t buy this for general economy (vs diesels for example) unless you do a fair number of short journeys and have easy access to charging points.

None of the negativities detract. For me the drivetrain is exceptional overall. The urgent pickup and the dynamic highway acceleration are a delight. The noise under load is clearly 4 pot, but actually it also sounds purposeful and any noise is short lived. You get to your speed very very quickly. Buzzing around town and in underground car parks etc on EV is delightful. I would not choose a different drivetrain at any price now. Thumbs Up L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #602189 Sat Jul 25 2020 1:16pm
Cunny678

I have had my RRS since September 2019 and think its an exception car. Its about 16 miles to work mainly on the motorway and its a pleasure to drive. Most of the time at the weekend I am on battery only and its so smooth and quiet with no engine noise. On an average day to work and am averaging about 60mpg, but thats in rush hour traffic at a lower average speed. Driving to work now with little traffic on the road it is vaeraging slightly less as I am at 70mph most of the way.

Not really been using the sat nav for work, but started using it recently. If I set the journey to the office as a return journey it seems to use the battery more as expected and the average mpg increased yesterday to 65mpg. By way a of long distance comparison, I went down to Devon for a week recently with a full load. 80mph most of the way but with a few contraflows at 50mph as you would imagine and it averaged about 30mpg which I thought was quite good.

One thing which, as expected, is that fuel economy drops when in sports mode. It also keeps the engine running most of the time when I am stopped or in slow traffic. As I prefer to drive with the firmer suspension I was wondering if it is possible to set the suspension to sport / firm when driving in automatice mode? I have looked through the manual but cant seem to find anything! Am I missing something simple or is this option not available?

Overall the P400e RRS is a great car.

Post #602417 Wed Jul 29 2020 11:17am
Fandango

Very helpful reviews - thanks.
Gone from RRS to full electric with iPace but thinking of changing to PHEV! RRS HSE Dynamic 2015
Disco4 HSE 2011 - Gone
Defender 90 CSW 2009 - Gone
Freelander2 SE 2006 - Gone

Post #604066 Wed Sep 02 2020 8:31pm
tsinc80697

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Autobiography Firenze Red

The P400e sounds ideal for what I use the car for, short journeys or towing long distance. I could definitely benefit from the electric only short journeys as the SDV8 drops to around 20mpg on those!

Post #604086 Thu Sep 03 2020 8:59am
timhum

United Kingdom 

20 mpg is probably what you will get towing with the 2 litre motor.
all the best
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #604090 Thu Sep 03 2020 10:24am
tsinc80697

That's 33% more than the 15mpg I've been getting with my X5!

Post #604091 Thu Sep 03 2020 10:25am
timhum

United Kingdom 

Sorry, I thought you were using an SDV8.
atb
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #604092 Thu Sep 03 2020 10:33am
tsinc80697

I have an SDV8 now but yet to tow with it. Should be much higher than the X5 mpg but the short journeys in the RR are only getting around 20mpg.

Post #604093 Thu Sep 03 2020 10:34am
R22Flyer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

can you advise me on my post, you seem to have a good knowledge of the P400e

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic56932.html

Thanks
Martin Tesla Model Y - 2023
RRS 3 Autobiography P440e 2023 - Order Cancelled
RRS Autobiography P400e 2020 - White
Bentley 2008 Arnage 6.75L V8 - Fountain Blue
Lexus NX300h 2019 Red - Sold
Lexus RX450h 2016 Red - Sold