RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > EV operation Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

R22Flyer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White
EV operation Question

Just purchased a new RRS P400e, got and odd issue with operation of the EV which the dealer is saying it’s working fine.

All scenarios start with a fully charged EV battery

1. If I start off in EV mode and keep in the EV range on the consumption meter, I can travel till battery flat, 20 miles , Driver info Shows EV in green, but if at any point I use the petrol engine it does not stop and switch back to EV till I switch off the car and restart. The EV button is lite and on the driver info EV is in Grey.

2. If I start the car in hybrid mode ev button off, and drive using the petrol engine, pushing the EV the engine does not cut out, EV button lite and the driver info EV shows in grey, only way i can stop the petrol engine from running is switch off and restart.

3. Switch car on in EV, driver display EV in green, Turn off stop / start, petrol engine starts, Turn on Stop/start, EV grey petrol engine won’t stop with out stopping car.

Any ideas as dealer says this is normal, I had a loan can for a few days before deciding on the EV and can’t remember it doing this.

Thanks Tesla Model Y - 2023
RRS 3 Autobiography P440e 2023 - Order Cancelled
RRS Autobiography P400e 2020 - White
Bentley 2008 Arnage 6.75L V8 - Fountain Blue
Lexus NX300h 2019 Red - Sold
Lexus RX450h 2016 Red - Sold
RRS HSE MY12, SDV6, Orkney Grey - Sold
RR Evoque, Prestige Lux, Owned 1 week and Gone
Lexus RX450h, Silver
BMW X6, 3.5D Red, LOL
RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Post #604623 Thu Sep 17 2020 7:40pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I see the pattern is that once running, the petrol engine is likely to stay on. The missing data points here:

* for how many minutes is the petrol engine running before you switching off. If it’s 10 or even 15 minutes that could be normal from cold.
* when did the petrol engine last have a nice long run to get fully warmed up?
* what are environmental factors, like is it ‘normal’ ambient temperatures, was AC on full blast or any other heavy loads on the battery
* how aged is the petrol in the tank

If it’s fresh fuel, comfortable ambient temperature, no extraordinary electrical load, the car last had a nice hot run in the last week or two, your journey is over 15 minutes, and you’re not planting the throttle then I’d say you have a problem if the petrol engine does not cut out into EV mode on demand.

I am a low mileage driver, using my car mainly only at weekends for 2 or 3 journeys. The first journey of the week I make sure I run the petrol for at least 10 minutes by disabling start stop. If on subsequent journeys intend to run EV only then I do not warm up the petrol. If the petrol kicks in inadvertently I endeavour to ensure it runs for at least a few minutes. Just mechanical sympathy, really, but this may not be necessary since I am certain it has been engineered for a less sympathetic owner! But I want to keep mine for 10 years, so I am thinking ahead.

Let us know how this turns out for you. Thumbs Up L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #604632 Fri Sep 18 2020 6:47am
R22Flyer

The stop start does not work at all, I can do a 25 min run up the motorway and select ev when I close to home petrol keeps going.

I have a FFRR P400 on loan, same engine with out the E, this stop at the end of my road waiting at a junction, engine cold.

Martin Tesla Model Y - 2023
Lexus RX450h, Silver
BMW X6, 3.5D Red, LOL

Post #604633 Fri Sep 18 2020 8:49am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The user guide suggests that starting the petrol engine disables EV mode. Presumably that's why you have to stop it to get EV mode to work again. Likewise the stop/start.

https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G2130845

Might be worth trying a different dealership and see what they say. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #604635 Fri Sep 18 2020 9:21am
gdias

Portugal 

My experience with EV mode is quite different.

I make small journeys almost of the time, and some medium jouneys sometimes, so i drive 80% all the time in Electric and 20% in petrol, i imported the data from Remote, as that the values from my last 3500km. an average of 1,93 l/100 ( 146mpg ).

In my short journeys i start always in EV mode ( button pressed - light on ), and is rare the petrol engine kick in, just sometimes when i pass the 145km/h, when in highway i go up and need power, or in a cross i step the gas to hard, and in all of this scenarios the EV mode came back again if drive slow for a while, not too much.

in my medium journeys 60km - 80kms i go in hybrid with ev button light off, i use the save button, to preserve the battery to the city parts. I change to save, petrol and EV, and it changes well. In this journeys i get an average of 3,5l/100km 80mpg.

I think the EV mode works pretty well... i don't share you experience. I just had one experience other day, that i came to the car in a 30º ambient temperature and car was left on the sun, and the EV mode didn't turn in. But it was one time experience and never experienced that again. RRS 2020 P400e HSE Dynamic
6 Ex-Fullfats

Post #604640 Fri Sep 18 2020 10:57am
Cunny678

Are you using sports mode? Sometimes it like to keep the petrol engine running when in sports mode.

Try using the sat nav in hybrid mode. Put a 15 plus mile desination in and tick the return box. See if the car uses both EV and Petrol and returns you home with nil miles on the battery.

Post #604649 Fri Sep 18 2020 12:51pm
R22Flyer

update

update, the dealer has confirmed today there is a problem, the diagnostic shows working fine, but after getting the sales person over the tech to drive the car and then drive a demo car, they confirm it’s faulty. The car is a new and worked like this from day 1, lucky I persisted, was going to reject the car next week if not sorted. Typical young inexperienced EV trained Tech ‘Computer says ok’ he even test drove the car for 5 miles with 0 EV miles and thinks this is correct.

Hopefully sorted next week

Loaned me a new defender, Really nice drive but not sure on the design, Nice infotainment system, amazing 360 cameras, shows the dated Range rovers up. Tesla Model Y - 2023
Lexus RX450h, Silver
BMW X6, 3.5D Red, LOL

Post #604660 Fri Sep 18 2020 6:47pm
Gio

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the P400e: When you are in EV mode and you disable the auto stop/start system (touching the auto stop/start off button on the display), the EV mode button on the center console extinguishes or remains lit? Also the EV light in the instrument cluster extinguishes completely or it just becomes grey?

Thank you in advance

Post #605347 Thu Oct 08 2020 12:28pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Your question does not make sense. If you are in EV mode then by definition auto stop/start is enabled. If you disable this then the petrol engine fired up permanently.

In normal hybrid mode with the Eco dial in place you have no way of knowing if you are running EV or petrol. If you select EV mode then EV lights in the dashboard in green if you are not running in petrol. If petrol kicks in it goes grey.

Once you get used to it, as a driver, you can tell if the petrol engine has kicked in our not. But it’s not always clear! I ran for a long while with the Rev counter enabled because that is unequivocal in operation if the petrol has kicked in. But I have reverted to the eco dial because, well, why have a super efficient (20 mpg lol*) car and not run the eco dial.

*aside from EV running max mpg, I get anything from 19mpg to 80+mpg it’s a crazy spread. And I love it, it’s the perfect drive train. Simples. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #605453 Sun Oct 11 2020 2:37am
Gio

Thanks for your answer ilard,

My question is only about the EV button LED and the EV Dashboard light. If you turn off Auto S/S, these indicators should turn off completely (since the EV mode is disabled), isn't it?

Post #605496 Mon Oct 12 2020 2:25pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Yes, if in EV mode and you then disable S/S the engine fires up, the EV light on the console button goes off, the EV light in the dash goes off, and a Start/Stop Off symbol appears in the dash. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #605501 Mon Oct 12 2020 5:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1