RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Post service advisories - UPDATE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Spangler

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Post service advisories - UPDATE

Just had the car (2007 L320 TDV8) back from its annual service at a local indie (who has been recommended on this forum) and had a few advisories. Just want some feedback as to whether some of this work is overkill and whether the pricing seems inline with market rates.
I must state that I am not mechanically adept but have some understanding on basic mechanicals however something just isn't sitting right in my head with what I've been told.Maybe I'm just a cynic who knows!

1 x Front CV boot split (looked fine to me when i checked it last week) - £165 + vat. The garage state that this combined with some worn bushes (which they will only replace with polyurethane ones) means i require a new front wishbone kit and laser alignment - another £650 +vat
Also will need rear prop shaft doing - £511+ vat The car drives fine so are there any tell tale signs that your rear prop is on its way out? I get no clunking, grinding,vibration etc. I mean, nothing at all.

I also enquired on how much a gearbox flush would be and was told £850 - somewhat surprised I asked why so much and its down to the oil being expensive and they use 15 litres of it during the flush. Really?

The car is under warranty so i think I can get the wishbones done under that.
Drive and half shafts are covered but not prop shafts and bearings so that's what would have to come from my pocket - if it needs it then I'll do it and pay but do not want to do so if not required.

Just looking on some advice guys - any and all will be appreciated. Thinking I'll try and book it into another indie for a 2nd opinion.
I have added the estimate sheet with costs etc for you all to peruse at your leisure/pleasure.

Last edited by Spangler on Mon Jun 08 2020 12:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #599360 Thu May 28 2020 6:16pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

The only thing thing that really stands out is the Gearbox flush. I would expect £275 give or take a few quid to have that done,,,and that is a proper flush not just a drain and refill. Lower arms etc probably not too far away, 4 wheel alignment has to be done after fitting front arms which is par for the course and I suppose depends on where you purchase the propshaft from Regards that bit.yy 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #599361 Thu May 28 2020 7:09pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Propshaft is very expensive
Gearbox flush is very expensive

Wishbones are a little pricey

CV boot repair is fine

Thumbs Up

Post #599367 Thu May 28 2020 8:54pm
skid1963

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Gearbox flush waaaaay over the top, got mine done for £250

Out of interest i see you are in Kent, who is quoting these prices for you. 2006 L320 4.2 Supercharged
2009 BMW X5 M-Sport - Gone
2007 L320 2.7TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue - Gone
2011 Jaguar XFS 3.0V6 Diesel - Gone
2009 (59) L320 Facelift 3.0TDV6 HSE White Wrap - Gone
2008 BMW X5 M-Sport - Gone
2005 Audi A6 3.2V6 Quattro S-Line - Gone

Post #599373 Thu May 28 2020 10:39pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Gearbox megaflush too pricey. Call Martin Hind at Dartford Transmissions and Autocare. Ex LR mechanic, gearbox guru and LR enthusiast Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #599376 Fri May 29 2020 5:55am
1richard1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Looks like the start of make up for lost trade post lockdown.

Post #599377 Fri May 29 2020 5:57am
Spangler

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Propshaft is very expensive
Gearbox flush is very expensive

Wishbones are a little pricey

CV boot repair is fine

Thumbs Up

Agreed - done some price checking online and the propshaft is at least £100 more expensive than what I could source, and they are doubling up the labour hrs on the cv joint and wishbone work too.

Post #599386 Fri May 29 2020 10:36am
Spangler

skid1963 wrote:
Gearbox flush waaaaay over the top, got mine done for £250

Out of interest i see you are in Kent, who is quoting these prices for you.

When I was asking about the gearbox flush I did ask if it was around £300 as that's the £ I've seen quoted on here quite alot - when he looked it up on the computer and came back with £850 I was gobsmacked!! The mechanic did go on to explain why it was so expensive as it does this an that but to be honest I wasn't listening as still trying to get my head around the price...Smile

It was Dakar 4x4 in Swanley who I took it too - wanted to go to AHL but I also needed new rear discs and pads fitted (which I had bought off a forum member) but they wouldn't fit them as they were not supplied by them. Looked Dakar up on the forum and only saw positive feedback so went there instead as the discs needed doing.

Post #599387 Fri May 29 2020 10:43am
Spangler

DrRob wrote:
Gearbox megaflush too pricey. Call Martin Hind at Dartford Transmissions and Autocare. Ex LR mechanic, gearbox guru and LR enthusiast Thumbs Up

Funnily enough I believe he used to work at Dakar 4x4 !! I've contacted AHL Engineering in Maidstone requesting a 2nd opinion and pricing. Hopefully they'll agree and I at least know what's is really required.

With all the lockdown impact I can see some garages having to make up lost income and pricing / repair work to take a step upwards....

Post #599388 Fri May 29 2020 10:46am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

While I cant speak for other garages, I haven't seen the need to put my prices up. We are still just as busy as ever, with the diary now full for at least the next 3 weeks, not including as many as 5 engine replacements Shocked

Quote:
wanted to go to AHL but I also needed new rear discs and pads fitted (which I had bought off a forum member) but they wouldn't fit them as they were not supplied by them.

FWIW, we also don't fit customer supplied parts. Our insurance company specifically prohibits us from doing so. If we do fit customer supplied parts, we are not covered for liability should anything unforseen happen. Its not worth the risk Neutral

Post #599392 Fri May 29 2020 1:07pm
Spangler

UPDATE after 2nd opinion

Just thought I'd share an update on this after taking the car for a 2nd opinion as I wasn't convinced what was flagged up was required.

Booked into AHL Engineering in Maidstone this morning and ran through what advisories were flagged up on the recent service on the 8th at another garage. They spend an hour going over the car and the front arm bushes are fine and not due any imminent need to be replaced, CV boot has oil/gunk around it but no leaks, rips or tears (oil/gunk likely to be from my previous lubrication making everything stick to it), rear propshaft does have a perished rubber so will need replacing, however the quote they have given is £360 including VAT whereas the previous garage quoted £613 including VAT.

So I have saved myself a quoted £783 on front lower arm bushes replacement, £198 on the CV boot and £253 on the replacement propshaft - and gained trust in a new garage that will be my point of call in the future.

Angus at AHL was a really decent chap - he spent an hr going over the car, plugged the car in and ran a diagnostics check (no fault codes), test drove the car and when I asked to pay for his time he didn't charge me a penny! No surprise it's now booked in there in a couple of weeks time to get the prop replaced plus an inspection on the aircon as it's lost gas.

I know AHL have been recommended on the forum beforehand but I'd like to add my twopenneth as well - really decent people who know the cars inside out and they could of easily said all the work was required but they didn't and were totally honest by showing me exactly where the perished rubber had gone on the propshaft and how the bushes,CV joint were fine. How many garages would do that I wonder?

Not here to knock the previous garage however I think it's a wise move to get 2nd opinions especially when the work you are quoted is in excess of £1500...

Post #599873 Mon Jun 08 2020 11:39am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Excellent result Thumbs Up , although I don’t believe you on no fault codes - are you an MP Mr. Green 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #599973 Tue Jun 09 2020 6:44pm
Spangler

Being honest on the zero fault codes - was really surprised myself when I heard it.

Right result though so pleased to have saved myself £1300 and crossed a garage off my go to list to boot Very Happy

Post #599977 Tue Jun 09 2020 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1