Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > "Plip plip" refusal to lock - can you interrogate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

aaronjb

United Kingdom 
"Plip plip" refusal to lock - can you interrogate

Gah, short subject line box.. Laughing

Sometimes (increasingly) the RRS is refusing to lock on the first try with the familiar high pitched "plip plip" that indicates it thinks a door/bonnet/boot is not closed properly - annoyingly (of course) it never does it when I can see the dashboard to see if it tells me which door/bonnet/boot is not closed properly, and usually hitting the lock button a second time results in the car locking itself happily, without anything having been opened or closed.

Can IIDTool or similar interrogate the central locking ECU to see what the last recorded failure is? I haven't got my IIDTool handy (long story, it's still at a friends house Embarassed ) to check Smile

I know it's "probably" the bonnet sensors as they are a common fault, but the change in behaviour also seems to have coincided with a change of interior lightbulb (to change a crap LED unit the previous owner fitted that flickered with a new LED unit that isn't failed) and maybe it just doesn't like the "CANbus safe" LEDs.. but that seems odd! 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #593632 Wed Jan 22 2020 12:54pm
Bustanut

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Had this recently on mine and it turned out to be the drivers door lock. There is a visual way to tell if its one of the door locks without scanning for codes. When i was locking mine the smaller handle above the door pull would not pull in fully indicating that that was the faulty unit. So try locking the doors with the fob (you can do this with the windows down for ease of viewing) and look at all the short handles to see if they are all pulled in the same distance. It should be fairly obvious if its one of these. If its the bonnet switch the car still locks most of the time but the alarms will sound intermittently to indicate switch failure. Theres no guarantees with these methods they are just my findings through issues i've had.
If it is one of the door locks, make sure you order the correct one. The non smart key versions are a lot cheaper.

Post #593641 Wed Jan 22 2020 3:01pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Good tip! I'll lock/unlock a few times and pay attention to the handles Thumbs Up I had the rear passenger lock assembly replaced last year at the MOT (it was failing to unlock) so it could be one of the others following suit - or of course, a faulty replacement. 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #593642 Wed Jan 22 2020 3:08pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

It did it last night - looking through the doors it doesn't look like any of the door locks are attempting to move.. of course, I forgot to look at the dashboard to see if the speedo cluster told me anything at the same time Whistle 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #593762 Fri Jan 24 2020 10:46am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

My 12MY doesn’t work like that, if it detects an issue it doesn’t even try and lock the doors, it will just peep peep as if it’s a door ajar rather than a lock. If on the odd occasion mine does it, I just open and close the doors that have been used and it’s normally my driver door. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #593773 Fri Jan 24 2020 12:03pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Yeah - on the odd occasion it hasn't locked on the second press, that's what I've taken to doing.. not always the same door, but opening & closing 'a' door seems to cure it. Of course, it could be a sticky switch on any other door and maybe the vibration from shutting the door nudges the switch.

When I get the IIDTool back I'll see if that can tell me what the last failure reason was 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #593777 Fri Jan 24 2020 1:08pm
Red Arrow

United Kingdom 

usually the bonnet catch is the culprit on an L320 Thumbs Up

Post #593786 Fri Jan 24 2020 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1