RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > New Defender shot maybe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 14 <123 ... 567 ... 121314>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In the UK the box on the side is a £705 optional extra that you can spec, it also comes as part of the “explorer” pack. Also on the 90 version the body coloured “signature” square thing is a £150 option but on the 110 you have to have it, it hides some sort of interior stow cubby but on the 90 completely blocks the view out of the rear side window........

Yesterday JLR announced the commercial versions of both 110 and 90 in an email to those on the waiting list.

Commercial looks great in Tasman Blue and white with the white steel wheels

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow I’m going to the 1st public viewing in Scotland - cars are at the Buchanan Galleries in central Glasgow for the weekend before going south again. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #589218 Fri Oct 25 2019 8:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gingerg978

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge

Defender SVR, what your thoughts ? 2014MY RRS SDV6 HSE Black Stealth with 22" Black alloys - LOVE IT (Now wrapped in 3M Satin Dark Grey)

Post #589238 Fri Oct 25 2019 1:30pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Zilch wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
I read somewhere that the bin box and its associated frame is not designed to be removed, so you might stuck with it on the vehicle.

i thought i read the bin box was detachable

I stand corrected, according to the option pack, once fitted it is not designed to be removed Censored Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #589261 Fri Oct 25 2019 9:58pm
BKHK

Australia 

Looks like a Kia Soul

Post #589262 Fri Oct 25 2019 10:48pm
SRE

Spain 

Tomorrow I’m going to the 1st public viewing in Scotland - cars are at the Buchanan Galleries in central Glasgow for the weekend before going south again.[/quote]

I think I prefer P12 MUD Thumbs Up In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #589265 Sat Oct 26 2019 8:03am
Tim in Scotland

Well I went a looked at the 110 HSE D240 that was on display ............ it is very big but in the flesh it is a much nicer vehicle than in the pictures. Looked well assembled and the full leather chairs fitted to the HSE are really very comfortable, enough to make car suitable for those who normally sit in the back and have a man to do the driving! I am impressed with its general fit and finish even though this was a pre-production car. The clearview rear view mirror was really good BUT I couldn’t see how you could clean its camera without stopping, getting out, opening the rear door and scrambling up on the floor to hand clean it - it is located on the roof in the base of the sharks fin antenna but I would think on a wet motorway it would still get very dirty very quickly, I also see a problem with keeping the recessed tail lights clean in the same conditions.
Other things - I tried to look underneath and it looks like it will be very difficult to fit any sort of recovery rings front and rear, however Land Rover will relieve you of £500 to fit two orange painted rings as a factory fitted option..... you can buy a lot of Jate rings for that price. I also don’t know if the ubiquitous towing eye is strong enough to use for recovery. Of course maybe the intended market won’t need that in Kensington High Street or the leafy lanes of Alderley Edge.......
I’m still up for a 90 version though. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #589273 Sat Oct 26 2019 12:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's an aluminium monocoque chassis, not a steel ladder frame. It will require different recovery points and there is no way that LR will have designed it to fit JATE rings. So LR will have designed the chassis to have recovery points at the points where they fit their optional extras - no doubt others will soon have aftermarket versions at much reduced prices.

According to LR, the recovery points can take 6.5 tonnes snatch loading. I wonder if that's total load across the pair or if that's each one separately.

I'd reckon the new Defender will still be driving forward when the old Defender is waiting with its JATE rings for a recovery - unless the old Defender has many hundreds of pounds of aftermarket upgrades. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #589339 Sun Oct 27 2019 2:45pm
Tim in Scotland

Thanks for the info RRS, To get recovery points as standard you have to buy the least likely model to go offroad, the Defender X at £72000 before adding an extra. They recess into slots on the rear bumper which will be interesting to see how they stay in place and not rattle. at least you won’t need to go fishing under the car to get at them

I concur about the off-road abilities of the new one, I never had any getting stuck issues (and I tried quite hard sometimes) to get my L494 stuck, it certainly will get out of situations that would have had my 90 with no clever trickery but testing my skills stuck, and the RRS was running ATR’s rather than road biased tyres, the 90 runs all the time on BFG MT’s.
Yesterday I was off in the highland hills and I remember the amazement of club members when I took my 2005 RRS on the same run, parked on a peat bog along with 6 Defenders. I was told I would never get the RRS out without a tow........... all the doubting Thomas’s were silenced when put the car into LR, Susupension to Offroad height, selected Mud and Ruts and on standard tyres just drove out. The Defenders behind me were less fortunate as one after the other they chewed up the surface with spinning wheels and flying mud and still ended up on the end of a winch wire! We ended up with the same situation yesterday in the same place, but I wasn’t one of the first cars to be directed onto the wet plateau and was able to park up on compacted heather and ended up being the ground anchor for a defender, a Disco2 and a Disco1 that did get stuck..... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Oct 28 2019 4:30pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #589368 Mon Oct 28 2019 9:58am
RRSTDV8

It does seem silly, doesn't it? You'd think LR would either have standard recovery points on all of them, or at least have them as standard on the "rougher" versions. The base 90 with recovery points makes sense - the top of the range 110 doesn't. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #589380 Mon Oct 28 2019 3:23pm
garrycol

Australia 

Those points look like tow points to tow a vehicle on solid level ground not recovery points.

The problem with manufacturers putting on "rated" recovery points on a vehicles is the legal aspect if they fail while doing a recovery with say a snatch strap recovery of a vehicle in deep mud where loads cannot be calculated and may very well exceed the capacity of the recovery points and their mounts.

Generally aftermarket recovery points often have a disclaimer that they should only be used for tow recovery on level ground.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #589395 Mon Oct 28 2019 11:13pm
RRSTDV8

LR have stated that they're capable of 6.5 tonnes in a snatch recovery. Determining your actual loads during your real recovery is your problem, I'm sure they'll say. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #589397 Mon Oct 28 2019 11:18pm
garrycol

Australia 

"Determining your actual loads during your real recovery is your problem, I'm sure they'll say."

Until the first death and the lawyers get involved. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #589402 Tue Oct 29 2019 1:25am
RRSTDV8

LR aren't saying the recovery points are indestructible, are they? They're saying they're good for 6.5 tonnes. If you can't be sure that you're loading them less than that, then don't do it.

Simple enough to defend, I'm sure. After all, it's your vehicle and you put it in a spot that required recovery. You're then responsible for knowing what you're doing recovering it. Was everyone properly trained, for example, and did you use the correct techniques. Did you assess the likely loads being generated in your specific situation? What load did you think you were applying? All easy enough for a decent lawyer to argue.

It won't stop the litigation but I doubt very much that LR would lose on the basis that they fitted recovery points and someone over loaded those points. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #589418 Tue Oct 29 2019 9:37am
Zilch

recovery points, same as the D5, basically screw in if you do not order the factory fitted options

Yesterday i finished the build and ordered a 110 SE P400 SE, with lots of bits. I ordered a
significant part of the "dora the explorer" pack, minus the Side bin ($2K Shocked ) and the
actual roof rack ($4K Shocked Shocked Shocked ) optioned up most things i was after Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Last edited by Zilch on Sat Dec 07 2019 6:19am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #589736 Sun Nov 03 2019 7:18am
Zilch

an Eiger Grey Defender, courtesy of one of the forum members on Defender2.

Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #590179 Sun Nov 10 2019 5:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 14 <123 ... 567 ... 121314>