RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Oil dilution is our fault apparently!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>

Mr Singh

Hi All, so I had a service 5 months ago and have also had a service light come on a couple of weeks ago. Called my local dealer and they said I would need an oil service due to oil dilution and have to pay for it even though I have a 5 year service pack. I disputed the charges and although insisting for a while I'd have to pay she went away and said they would do the oil change as a good will gesture.

A little annoying Range Rover asking me to pay for this knowing full well it is a known problem, and the fact I have a 5 year service pack.

Thought I'd have a look at some forums and came across this thread and quite concerned that this is a design fault and will cause damage to the engine.

I wanted to ask, has anyone on this forum gone down the route of rejecting the vehicle as I feel I bought the car in good faith for £80k and did not expect to be sold a car with a design flaw that can cause serious damage in the future. The car is on a 65 plate. Thanks.

Post #580016 Tue Apr 30 2019 8:05pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Apparently my 5 year service pack comes with 4 intermediate oil changes. Why 4 rather than 5, I don't know. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #580024 Tue Apr 30 2019 8:41pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Diesel. I'm falling out of love with it. It's not you, it's me. Big Cry L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #580030 Tue Apr 30 2019 9:15pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It is all very strange, on the Discovery LR have managed to come up with a software fix that cures our driving habits!! Shocked 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #580048 Wed May 01 2019 7:32am
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 

Mr Singh wrote:
Hi All, so I had a service 5 months ago and have also had a service light come on a couple of weeks ago. Called my local dealer and they said I would need an oil service due to oil dilution and have to pay for it even though I have a 5 year service pack. I disputed the charges and although insisting for a while I'd have to pay she went away and said they would do the oil change as a good will gesture.

A little annoying Range Rover asking me to pay for this knowing full well it is a known problem, and the fact I have a 5 year service pack.

Thought I'd have a look at some forums and came across this thread and quite concerned that this is a design fault and will cause damage to the engine.

I wanted to ask, has anyone on this forum gone down the route of rejecting the vehicle as I feel I bought the car in good faith for £80k and did not expect to be sold a car with a design flaw that can cause serious damage in the future. The car is on a 65 plate. Thanks.

Good Afternoon Mr Singh

I am sorry to learn of your comments, and can assure you that this is not the experience we wish for our customers to have.

If there is any way in which I can assist you please to not hesitate to contact me via PM with the following information:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal Contact Details

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #580056 Wed May 01 2019 11:22am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Dan LRUK,,ive been trying to renew my Incontrol remote but the person I spoke to 2 weeks ago Emma CE support asked for proof of ownership which I emailed to her & ive called since & they keep saying she will get back to me which she hasn't so ive emauled a few more times & still no reply,,i wouldn't mind but it didn't run out till middle of may & it now says expired.So you have another NOT happy customer here. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #580057 Wed May 01 2019 11:40am
Mister B

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Dan
you have a pm

Post #580081 Wed May 01 2019 6:44pm
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 

Tyrefitter wrote:
Dan LRUK,,ive been trying to renew my Incontrol remote but the person I spoke to 2 weeks ago Emma CE support asked for proof of ownership which I emailed to her & ive called since & they keep saying she will get back to me which she hasn't so ive emauled a few more times & still no reply,,i wouldn't mind but it didn't run out till middle of may & it now says expired.So you have another NOT happy customer here.

Good Afternoon Andy

I am deeply concerned to learn of your comments.

May I request that you provide me with your VIN Number and Contact details and I will investigate this for you, and ensure you receive a response to your query.

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #580108 Thu May 02 2019 8:03am
harisson

Switzerland 

hello all

I am writing in this topic to hear your experiences..

I am owning a RRS SDV6 MY16. I bought the car with 24000km in February 2018 here in Switzerland. In October 2018 I had the last free service with ca. 39500km (here in CH the cars have free service for a defined while - mine had 3 years free services).

now, the clock is showing 54000km. two weeks ago the message popped up "Inspektion erforderlich" (Inspection needed). I called my dealer (very competent!) and they told me that they will update the software of the speedometer because there is an update.
last Wednesday I gave my RRS to the dealer and 2h later the called me to tell, that the SW is up to date, but I have 7% oil dilution.
I was really suprised, that after 15000km I have this oil dilution issue.
why I was suprised? I will explain it:
- I am driving every day 2x15km to work and back (ok, perhaps not ideal, but..)
- once a month I drive a longer distance - that means 30km and more one way
- ca. 3 times a year I drive 2x1000km (to my holiday destination and back)
- several journeys during the year with longer ways
- I always switch off the auto-start-stop
- my yearly driving distance is ca. 20000km
- I try to avoid "standard" diesel - so I am trying to fill up at BP using the "ultimate diesel" or at OMV (Germany/Austria/Slovenia) with their MaxxMotion/MaxxPerformance diesel - they all are FAME (biodiesel) free and have another component called HVO, which is NOT supporting the oil dilution. as some of you know - diesel with FAME in oil is nearly impossible to burn out. HVO-diesel in oil will burn at about 70-80 degrees of oil temperature

I was told, that higher speeds (above 140km/h) are supporting oil dilution. on my holiday trips I drive in Germany ca. 160-180km/h if possible. I can't believe that, because I suppose that LR wouldn't sell LR-products anymore in Germany.

Points which are supporting oil dilution, as far as I know, are: short trips (DPF regen), auto-start-stop, FAME-diesel

what I would like to know..
- how does the SW calculate the percentage of oil dilution?
- what's about the information of higher speeds?

I see that customer care of LR UK is reading and writing here. perhaps they can help us to understand the mechanism of the SW.
I suppose that every owner here in the forum would like to know that, because somewhere in the deeps of my brain I memorized the topic "crankshaft issue". With a proper oil it can be avoided.. I hope.

thank you
cheers
harisson Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #583039 Wed Jun 26 2019 4:58am
IRBails

Australia 

This is how I deal with the OIL issues. Firstly dilution is a factor of DPF regens, which as the vehicle ages will increase so shorter oil changes should be expected. Next the oil dilution is not tested in the vehicle but is an algorithm based on driving style and Number of Regen's , oh and oil levels if they have increased. I get my oil tested each change and also do intermediate changes at home. This is made easy as the Range Rover is designed to allow the vacuum extraction of oil, a short job. I do not change filter for my intermediate changes, I leave this for the regular service by dealer . As the DPF filter ages the flow will slowly be restricted and the regen process is based on flow so if you can consider small particles restricting flow and catching more particles as the DPF ages you can see that regen's will occur more often, which means more dilution and hence more damage. All vehicles running DPF's have this issue this isn't just a Range Rover issue. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #583123 Wed Jun 26 2019 10:40pm
harisson

Switzerland 

thanks IRBails

I am familiar with all points which you mentioned. it's my second car with a DPF. the last one was a 2009 BMW E60. I don't know how there the service interval calculation was, but I could expand the factory service interval from 30k km to 32-34k km - to be mentioned: I changed the oil every 20k km.

I was surprised because the RRS requested for a service after 14-15k km.
that's the point where I would like to know how the algorithm of LR works, which parameters are checked etc. I know that the SW calculates the % of oil dilution and has no possibility to measure via sensors etc.

I will monitor the behavior. as I have a Swiss car with free services, I will have in November my last free service. just before the service I will take a small amount to check for oil dilution. Until then, the RRS will run ca. 8k km

cheers
harisson Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #583128 Thu Jun 27 2019 6:33am
IRBails

Australia 

I should note my oil service message pops up now also 6,000 k's early, I could reset but just ignore because I know the oil is good. If you buy a cheap blue tooth OBD dongle and get the ODB auto Doctor app you can do resets and look at fault codes. This isn't as sophisticated as some but gives enough info to determine the severity of faults. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #583132 Thu Jun 27 2019 7:22am
harisson

Switzerland 

Thanks IRBails
It's on my list
Can you recommend a dongle?

Cheers
Haris Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #583133 Thu Jun 27 2019 7:34am
IRBails

Australia 

Can't remember the brand, I am sure there are cheaper ones than the unit I purchased. As a BMW motorcycle owner I can use my dongle on my GSA as well and the bike forum had dongles that worked and were around $30 Ozzies to buy. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #583146 Thu Jun 27 2019 10:03am
Bardley

United Kingdom 

harisson wrote:
Thanks IRBails
It's on my list
Can you recommend a dongle?

Cheers
Haris

If you don't mind the shipping wait:-

https://www.dx.com/p/super-mini-elm327-blu...RStXTBKjcs

I've used this site before and all items arrived ok. 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #583157 Thu Jun 27 2019 11:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>