RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Oil dilution is our fault apparently!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

So now it isn’t just the V6 or the Ingenium 4’s that are prone to DPF issues...__ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #572642 Tue Jan 08 2019 10:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

Well I have some news. Turns out DPF is fine. Issue was oil leaking to the turbo actuator which in turn was causing electrical faults that may not relate to the issue.The fix is a new pipe with a drain so oil cannot enter the actuator.Bad news is this pipe isn't in stock anywhere and my car may be off the road for months? The tech was great in getting back and telling me what the issue was he felt bad re the parts but said they must replace as per LR specs so all parts must be in before they start. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #572652 Wed Jan 09 2019 4:48am
Barryp

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Fuji White

A friend of mine with an Evoque has just had his DPF replaced.
It had actually burst, with a split down the side. He didn't have any notification on the dash that he had an issue, he said he could just smell a hot burning odour!
Car is about 2 years old and DPF was replaced under warranty.
Regards
Barry 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 SE Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 SE Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, Gone after 12 years! Was Excellent.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW

Post #572653 Wed Jan 09 2019 5:29am
Antmac

Oil Dilution

I have a 65 plate 3.0 sdv6 hse.

I am so upset by this Fuel in Oil problem. Bought in June 18 second hand with 27k on clock. Had a service at purchase. 6000 miles later--needed oil change due to dilution. Told it might happen again. I monitored mileage to next service and it did jump about, from 3850 one week, to needing an oil change (0 miles) a week later!
I asked if the history showed previous early oil changes--they said it didn't. I find that hard to believe. they said it was driving style too. I said I do long commutes and about 25000 miles per year.

In again today after another 6000 miles for oil change for same reason.

Its been great in every other way, (after I upgraded the terrible stock audio). However, a high end vehicle should not require this oil change and who knows what the engine will be like in 5 years time.

By the looks of it there is little we can do apart from complain? I've considered exchanging for a different make but of course would lose at least £5-10k on any trade in.

If there is a lawyer out there--what about a class action? The vehicle is not fit for purpose and does not perform as intended.

Post #573130 Tue Jan 15 2019 12:08pm
Dogboy

United Kingdom 

Of course they say it didn't. They only put regular service's onto their system as doing otherwise would leave an audit trail and an admission there is a design fault with the engine.

Post #573140 Tue Jan 15 2019 3:25pm
IRBails

Australia 
Re: Oil Dilution

Antmac wrote:

I am so upset by this Fuel in Oil problem. Bought in June 18 second hand with 27k on clock. Had a service at purchase. 6000 miles later--needed oil change due to dilution. Told it might happen again. I monitored mileage to next service and it did jump about, from 3850 one week, to needing an oil change (0 miles) a week later!
I asked if the history showed previous early oil changes--they said it didn't. I find that hard to believe. they said it was driving style too. I said I do long commutes and about 25000 miles per year.

Its been great in every other way, (after I upgraded the terrible stock audio). However, a high end vehicle should not require this oil change and who knows what the engine will be like in 5 years time.

By the looks of it there is little we can do apart from complain? I've considered exchanging for a different make but of course would lose at least £5-10k on any trade in.

If there is a lawyer out there--what about a class action? The vehicle is not fit for purpose and does not perform as intended.

Ask for an oil test. every 6,000 miles would be a good time to change most vehicles are 10,000 miles change anyway, so this could be a great way to give you long engine life. I aim to change mine every 12,000 k's so not much difference. All diesels no matter what brand with DFP suffer similar dilution. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #573168 Tue Jan 15 2019 9:16pm
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 
Re: Oil Dilution

Hi Antmac,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of this.

Please DM me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details for me to assist further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

Antmac wrote:

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #573362 Fri Jan 18 2019 3:19pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Visited Stratstone Aylesbury yesterday... hadn’t been back since sept 2018... noticed significant improvements from an interaction perspective.... new service manager seems to be making good progress.

Returned due to car saying it needed a service.. actually due May 2019.

Fixed within an hour.. apparently original fix for fuel dilution and service indictaor issue hadn’t been applied correctly.

Will continue to monitor...

Prashan MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #573416 Sat Jan 19 2019 8:25am
Coedlan

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Visited Stratstone Aylesbury yesterday... hadn’t been back since sept 2018... noticed significant improvements from an interaction perspective.... new service manager seems to be making good progress.

Fixed within an hour.. apparently original fix for fuel dilution and service indictaor issue hadn’t been applied correctly.

Prashan

Does this mean that the “fix” has simply relaxed the criteria for an oil dilution related oil change? ie increased the risk?

Post #573423 Sat Jan 19 2019 11:12am
J2D

United Kingdom 

Did they check for oil dilution?
I had exactly the same scenario, and service not due until March, but oil was 6% diluted so they did an oil change as a ‘good will’ which we are untitled to in between every service up to 50k miles apparently 2016 Fuji White Autobiography SDV6 - Fully loaded with almost every extra! 😁

Post #573428 Sat Jan 19 2019 12:03pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Remember that oil dilution percentage is just a calculation, it could be much higher or much lower.

You need to send it off for testing if you want to know the real figure. Over on the Disc05 forum several have done this and results varied, quite a few had very little oil dilution. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #573430 Sat Jan 19 2019 12:35pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Coedlan wrote:
Quote:

Prashan

Does this mean that the “fix” has simply relaxed the criteria for an oil dilution related oil change? ie increased the risk?

I was told the oil was fine - was initially changed at a service prior to collection in May 2018, then oil and filter changed in Sept 2018 as part of the fix...didn’t get more detail around what was done yesterday - even when asked. MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #573432 Sat Jan 19 2019 1:02pm
Antmac

A quick update.
Picked car up after oil service and checked indicator. Which frustratingly advised 4050 to next oil service. I walked straight back in and asked how this was possible, remaining calm at all times😫.
They advised it had now returned to the 16000 mile service interval and would need another oil service in 4000 miles regardless.
So that will mean in 16000 miles 4 oil changes. One at 27k, one at 33k, one at 39k and the next one at 43 k.
They did do a software upgrade but didn’t advise what it did.
I have raised a warranty issue with LR.
They will get back to me next week apparently.
Will update.

Post #573487 Sun Jan 20 2019 9:35am
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

So mine went from service now to 10k Miles... looks like it takes them a few attempts before they can fix it. Keep us posted and I’ll monitor mine too MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #573491 Sun Jan 20 2019 10:37am
Barryp

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Fuji White

Just read this announcement from Toyota Australia who have also had DPF and oil dilution issues.
I think LR need to do this as well.
Apparently you can press the button for a regen when you know you are going for a longer trip.
See quote below:

"Toyota will shortly announce the addition of a diesel particular filter (DPF) regeneration switch for the Landcruiser Prado and HiLux, as part of a rolling technical change on both models.
CarAdvice can exclusively reveal the change, which comes after a surge in complaints about particulate filter issues from Prado and HiLux owners who primarily drive short distances. Toyota is yet to provide comment regarding the complaints, or provide a specific reason for the change.
A diesel particulate filter works by catching harmful diesel particles, storing them and then burning them off at high temperatures as the filter becomes full.This process requires high exhaust temperatures and can only be actioned when the vehicle is at operating temperature. If a vehicle is primarily driven in and around the city, with limited long-duration driving, the fliter can become clogged, which ultimately leads to a full replacement of the unit being required"

Regards
Barry 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 SE Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 SE Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, Gone after 12 years! Was Excellent.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW

Post #574246 Fri Feb 01 2019 7:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>