RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Higher Mileage reliability?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

wilf

parish wrote:
I totally agree Wilf but I think if you had added Porsche to that comparison list I probably wouldn't. Even Porsche are not perfect but from personal experience having owned a 997 and a Macan (until a month ago) I never had even a hint of a problem. I also think there are degrees of problems - I seriously doubt any of the German manufacturers would allow a known problem such as fuel slap tanks to go on for as long as it seems to have.

Porsche kept the whole dropped liner thing very quiet when it blew up on 911s a few years back - in some cases, they changed engines without even telling the owners, I know two such people personally. So Porsche isn't perfect either, I am afraid. There are NO faultless manufacturers, period.

But I do agree about the tank slap issue - Jaguar XF owners have been complaining about it for many years. It should have been sorted.

Maybe it is a "characteristic" rather than a "fault"? Rolling Eyes MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #476718 Sat Oct 17 2015 8:27am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Porsche does indeed get it wrong sometimes and they had a major problem with the 991 GT3 when they had a couple of engine fires, caused by the conrod bolts letting go. There was something about the bolts - the material, the thread, the tightening torque - which caused them to let go. Lots of loose metal in the engine, fractured crankcase, oil leak and fire.

They could not predict which engines would fail so they pulled all 850 cars made to date off the road, suspended production and owners got £5k + £50 a day compensation and a free loan of a new or nearly new 911. One person I know put 6k miles on the loaner, including some track days with all the cosmetic implications of doing that.

They replaced the engine in every car; mine was done before I bought it and came with an engine change certificate.

The new engine came complete on a palette with no swapping of parts over to minimise the work installing it. The dealers also got, it's said, an invoice for £62k for the new engine which was only credited when the old engine made it back to Porsche, presumably to prevent the old engines finding their way into the wild.

Great car though and when I rev it to 9000 rpm, I think of the forces on those bolts and hope they got it right second time. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #476870 Sun Oct 18 2015 6:56am
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

codfather wrote:
Would anyone like to compare the new basic ICE with the old Harmon Kardon system?
I dont think spending £1k on a car hifi is on my priority list!

Cheers
Dave

There isn't really a xomparison

Post #476873 Sun Oct 18 2015 7:09am
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Is the basic system that bad?? MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #476885 Sun Oct 18 2015 8:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12