RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Higher Mileage reliability?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black
Higher Mileage reliability?

Hello All,
I am just about to pull the trigger and order an RRS2, my question is though, have any of the old problems followed over into the new shape on mileage over 30/40k? ie, EPB,wishbone bushes,alternator,etc? Or is there any other common problems sent to frustrate us?
Reading some of the general dislikes, does anyone know if any of the common annoyances have been ironed out for next years model? In all likelihood I will be aiming for a MY16.5

Thanks
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #476423 Wed Oct 14 2015 11:14pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Can't comment on a high miler however mine is now 7 months old with 6k miles on the clock and is going in next week for:

1) Recall work - door may unlatch whilst car is moving!
2) Squeaky brakes
3) Discoloured SPORT badge on boot
4) Suspension noise/Knock
5) Mis-aligned steering wheel
6) Issue with car not engaging gear after stopping at traffic lights - something to do with the stop start function
7) Late throttle response
8 ) Slow start up of infotainment system screen - can take up to a min to kick in
9) Various rattles from trim around the car
10) Fuel tank sloshing!

All in all I still love the car to bits but when I compare it to my previous X5 and Cayenne those both had no issues and a much better build quality - I really hope Land Rover up the quality if these vehicles as we pay a huge amount of money for a premium product but things like the above really spoil the show.

Last edited by RRSman on Thu Oct 15 2015 11:58am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #476451 Thu Oct 15 2015 9:54am
Chrisr1806

England 

That's quite a list! My one didn't have any issues in the 18 months I owned it, apart from this recall (dealer can worry about that!) And the brakes squealing occasionally.

Excellent all round car though, can't wait for my next one to arrive. Very Happy Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #476459 Thu Oct 15 2015 11:12am
codfather

Thanks for the replies, number 4 on RRSman's list is a worry, i though with shaving half a tonne off the weight, that the wishbone bush problem would dissapear!

cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Post #476461 Thu Oct 15 2015 11:56am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've not noticed any suspension knocks on my 2015MY car delivered in March and it has been off roaded a couple of times in that time and I would have thought that any suspension rattles might have become more apparrent since then if they were ever present.
One thing to watch out for though is the Audio system, it appears that LR is in penny pinching mode again with DiscoSport and Evoque and for 2016MY they have reduced the basic standard system from the 380w DAB Meridan system with a CD player to an unbranded (according to the configurator and online brochure) 180w DAB radio and a CD player is now an optional extra............ possibly because fewer and fewer people are using CD's in the car and prefer to stream music from a USB memory stick or a mobile device, but it is still penny pinching and they haven't reduced the cost of the cars accordingly......I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same reductions appear on RRS and FFRR soon too. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #476462 Thu Oct 15 2015 12:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Mine now 10 months old and a shade over 20,000 miles on the clock. Had its first service and slight oil leak spotted from rear diff - new pinion seal fitted under warranty. Only one quality issue on the front seat base covers. Changed under warranty and now good.
Great car still cant resist driving it, hope you do to.

Post #476466 Thu Oct 15 2015 12:45pm

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I've not noticed any suspension knocks on my 2015MY car delivered in March and it has been off roaded a couple of times in that time and I would have thought that any suspension rattles might have become more apparrent since then if they were ever present.
One thing to watch out for though is the Audio system, it appears that LR is in penny pinching mode again with DiscoSport and Evoque and for 2016MY they have reduced the basic standard system from the 380w DAB Meridan system with a CD player to an unbranded (according to the configurator and online brochure) 180w DAB radio and a CD player is now an optional extra............ possibly because fewer and fewer people are using CD's in the car and prefer to stream music from a USB memory stick or a mobile device, but it is still penny pinching and they haven't reduced the cost of the cars accordingly......I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same reductions appear on RRS and FFRR soon too.

Tim, The configurator may have changed or is inaccurate, likewise with the brochure, my copy of the MY16 brochure quotes 'Range Rover Audio System (250w) with eight speakers'. The Topix build schedule for my vehicle qoutes 'LO LINE AUDIO SYSTEM 400W' (copied and pasted), it also has a CD/DVD. The car is a MY16 V6 HSE Dynamic built 3rd week September and I did not up-spec the audio system. We all hear things differently but to me its better than the 850w Meridian system in my previous Evoque. Problem with the Evoque there is so much going on with engine noise, road noise and rattles you can not appreciate a good system.
Tony 2018 MY19 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, Ebony/Ivory, Sliding pano, Adaptive cruise, Black wheels. Arrived 3rd September 2018
2015 MY16 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, ebony/cirrus, sliding pano, cameras, black wheels - Arrived 1 October 2015

Post #476467 Thu Oct 15 2015 1:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Tony, mine has the basic 380w Meridian and compared to the 850w in the two Evoques I had it has more "sparkle" to the sound, maybe something to do with the larger interior but as you say more likely to be due to the lack of "background" noises that were present in the Evoque. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #476471 Thu Oct 15 2015 2:26pm
parish

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:
Can't comment on a high miler however mine is now 7 months old with 6k miles on the clock and is going in next week for:

1) Recall work - door may unlatch whilst car is moving!
2) Squeaky brakes
3) Discoloured SPORT badge on boot
4) Suspension noise/Knock
5) Mis-aligned steering wheel
6) Issue with car not engaging gear after stopping at traffic lights - something to do with the stop start function
7) Late throttle response
8 ) Slow start up of infotainment system screen - can take up to a min to kick in
9) Various rattles from trim around the car
10) Fuel tank sloshing!

All in all I still love the car to bits but when I compare it to my previous X5 and Cayenne those both had no issues and a much better build quality - I really hope Land Rover up the quality if these vehicles as we pay a huge amount of money for a premium product but things like the above really spoil the show.

If that was my car I would reject it and demand a replacement. I had an RRS1 (MY2011) that developed an electrical fault and ended up rejecting the car. It was a battle with LR (as always) that took 9 months but I won and got a replacement car. It's depressing to see that LR build quality seems to have not improved reading this thread and (and others) making me wonder whether to press the button on my order any day now. I believe unless you stand up to companies on poor quality it will not improve. That's why German cars are superior build as the Germans just don't tolerate poor quality.

Post #476599 Fri Oct 16 2015 3:58pm
Chrisr1806

England 

No the Germans will just lie to you about emissions instead. Rolling with laughter Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #476612 Fri Oct 16 2015 4:56pm
parish

United Kingdom 

Ha - nice one !

Post #476614 Fri Oct 16 2015 4:58pm
wilf

I think if you read the BMW/Merc/Audi forums you will also find unhappy people with issues on their cars, and often an even less helpful response from their dealers/manufacturer than we sometimes see from JLR.

ALL marques have their problems, and even in cars costing close to 6 figures, it is often a component worth a few pence that causes the issues.

There is no such thing as a faultless car make. Just lucky and unlucky owners. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #476661 Fri Oct 16 2015 8:39pm
parish

United Kingdom 

I totally agree Wilf but I think if you had added Porsche to that comparison list I probably wouldn't. Even Porsche are not perfect but from personal experience having owned a 997 and a Macan (until a month ago) I never had even a hint of a problem. I also think there are degrees of problems - I seriously doubt any of the German manufacturers would allow a known problem such as fuel slap tanks to go on for as long as it seems to have.

Post #476671 Fri Oct 16 2015 8:59pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

wilf wrote:
ALL marques have their problems, and even in cars costing close to 6 figures, it is often a component worth a few pence that causes the issues..

My boss is about to reject his Bentley Mulsanne....!! He's had more issues, which are much more serious than any I've seen on an RRS.

Fuel tank filling with water, a boot full of water, EML's galore, suspension knocks...the lot, so it's not just RRS's I think the more one pays for a car, the more issues which are likely to arise... 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #476704 Fri Oct 16 2015 11:00pm
codfather

Would anyone like to compare the new basic ICE with the old Harmon Kardon system?
I dont think spending £1k on a car hifi is on my priority list!

Cheers

Post #476707 Fri Oct 16 2015 11:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>