RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > RRS facelift already??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

As I said funny how everyone's perceptions differ. Rightly or wrongly my perception of the old sport was that it was a bit of a fraud. Rightly or wrongly my perception of the new RRS is that it both deserves to be called a Range Rover and also a Sport. Ergo I didn't buy the first one but will be picking up the new one next week.

Post #471276 Fri Aug 28 2015 1:48pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I just look at them for what they are, and perhaps in relation to other LR vehicles. I don't buy for a badge. The old sport was a great car, regardless of what some might want it to be. Was it deserving of the term "Sport"? Maybe not, but I'd rather that than the sort of nonsense name they'd use nowadays. Is it a Range Rover? Well, it is capable of qualifying the plain English definitions of the term "Range Rover" and LR choose to call it that...Is that any different to when the naming of the original RR took place?...

Looking at the basics of the sport - the engine(s), transmission, electrical systems etc. - they were better than the FFRR back in 2005, and I would have considered it a fair choice to make for practical reasons, aside from the styling differences, where the FF will always be more to my taste. Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #471278 Fri Aug 28 2015 2:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In 2005 I changed from a 2003 L322 FFRR TD6 SE to an RRS TDv6 SE................. the RRS had a way nicer powertrain, the clattery wheezy BMW engine of the L322 really made me wonder why people rated BMW's so highly, the version of their 3.0 Straight in the FFRR was worse than a taxi engine, the PSA/Ford v6 in the RRS was so much smoother and quieter (relatively!) that I always wondered why the FFRR didn't get the same engine. Then I went for the TDv8............ in the RRS is was great but the same 3.6 in the FFRR was OK, just. The problem with the FFRR TDv8 wasn't so much the motor but the other bits and its lack of brakes after the RRS TDv8's Brmebos was hugely disappointing. The interior of the 2010 FFRR, even in the base Vogue that I had was streets ahead of the same year's RRS though. I reckoned that the TDv8 RRS HSE I ahd was the best car I had ever owned up to this year, the RRS2 HSE Dynamic SDv6 though eclipses it in most areas quieter, smoother, corners even better in Dynamic mode and even on 22" wheels is very very nice to do long days at the wheel. The nicest thing after running Evoque for 3 years and coming back to the RRS was to get back a left arm armrest though, it's the little things in life that matter, that was something I really missed after selling the RRS's and the FFRR's! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #471285 Fri Aug 28 2015 3:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

My only problem with the back end of the new RRS is the lack of split tailgate.

Post #471288 Fri Aug 28 2015 4:26pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If it had a split tailgate it would be a FFRR.............. Sport has never had one and LR don't seem seen to have lost too many sales because it has been missing since 2005. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #471292 Fri Aug 28 2015 5:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

It may not be a Sport feature but has always been a Range Rover feature but I agree there is little to differentiate these days so the FF needs some things all to itself.

Post #471294 Fri Aug 28 2015 5:33pm
wilf

Having recently taken a RRS2 by the scruff of the neck and thrown it around some country lane corners in dynamic + sport modes, I believe it so far outclasses the old car as to be unrecognisable. Just remarkable. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #471309 Fri Aug 28 2015 8:37pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

The first L320 had quite a bit of P38 about it. I had one of the first HST's of which the styling was 'challenging'. Replaced this for an AB in 2011, and this for another in 2012. To me, the L320 looked great apart from the rear and rear 3/4s, which to me was just far too 'boxy' and flat sided. Something of the Carlton 'Jelly Mould' about it to my eyes.

The 'Disco in Drag' handle never left the car.

I really like the L494; and no, not just the SVR. 

Post #471333 Sat Aug 29 2015 9:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123