RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Wanting a RRS 2.7 TDV6 ........ Are they really that bad!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Be worth checking the wheels and tyres for load ratings - perhaps invest in some 19 inch rims and tyres if you're going to be towing a lot. Also, if you're going to be towing a lot (every weekend for example) then it would be worth investing in the "heavy duty" tow bar in place of the plug-in tow ball. See a recent thread on here about LR doing a check of the tow bar for slack. Hate to think how unpleasant it would be to see a loaded horse trailer departing from the back of the RRS... Big Cry 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #447745 Wed Jan 07 2015 9:27pm
Flinders

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Checked the tyres and load rating as that was on the list of things to check that I printed off here. Very Happy

I am watching on eBay some genuine Range Rover wheels 20" ones. Will 20" be safe for towing?

Already seen the problems with the tow bars as warnings were written in Horse & Hound so already planning on getting a fixed tow bar fitted. Plenty of things to sort before we get towing!

Husband will be gutted if the 22's have to come off! Shocked

Post #447757 Wed Jan 07 2015 10:41pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you get Land Rover wheels then they'll be fine for towing as they, along with the vehicle, are designed / built to tow up to 3.5 tonnes. Get an aftermarket wheel and you need to be careful.

If the wheels and tyres that are currently fitted are rated the same as Land Rover's approved wheels then you could, in principle, tow with them. The only thing that would worry me is that the low side wall of the 22 inch tyres is potentially more prone to damage from pinching (where the rim goes over a stone, for example, and physically pinches the tyre between rim and stone - this can cause the tyre to fail). This is obviously a bigger risk if you're going to be towing the trailer in to fields, stony yards, along tracks etc. If you only ever drive on tarmac then you'd be ok.

You could perhaps buy hubby a nice trolley jack and axle stands and then he could swap the 22s back on when you use it for holidays etc.! Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #447764 Wed Jan 07 2015 11:24pm
Nhlboy44

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Hi there
Sounds like you got a good deal not like me.
I searched for ages and eventuly bought a RRS Blue beige leather 67k FSH 2 local owners checked SH with RR dealer etc.
4000 miles later and engine. Blown,well crank it seems, so now need new engine. I've since learned that the TD2.7 V6 are prone to crank problems but I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Hope you get to enjoy your new car.

Post #447767 Wed Jan 07 2015 11:32pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

A lot depends on how its driven. If its only been doing short journeys and not been warmed up properly, then this shortens the life of an engine. If you drive it like simple (forum member) As if you have stole it when its cold, Shocked Then this will also reduce the life of the engine. Whistle Not knowing how its been driven previously, is always going to be a risk with any second hand vehicle.

Flinders, If your other half is going to be changing over the wheels on your sport, just make sure he follows the correct procedure and avoid placing the jack under the suspension compressor as many owners have done by mistake previously, at great expense to them. Embarassed Banging Head

Post #447785 Thu Jan 08 2015 8:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Loggo

United Kingdom 

She is beautiful, Flinders. Can I ask where you bought her? Did they have any others available? And how much, if it's not a rude question?

Post #447835 Thu Jan 08 2015 5:57pm
Flinders

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Nhlboy44 so sorry you had a bad experience. That was my worry when I was reading reviews etc on here. I suppose it is luck of the draw and thankfully we have taken warranty that will cover those kinds of problems if it does happen to us. I just made sure we could check everything as recommended on here and that we have SH and warranty.

I will certainly be looking for another set of wheels to tow with and that they are genuine Land Rover so correct ratings and that my hubby fits them by correct procedure. so thanks for that tip that could have ended in a costly mistake!

Loggo, we got ours from Stratstone/Evans Halshaw. They have many coming on and it was just under the £14k mark. If you go onto the stratstones website for Land Rover and click the links it takes you to Evans Halshaw who are the sister company. Got the backing of good companies rather than back street dealer. Had nothing but trouble with my audi and that had full audi service history but bought from backstreet dealer. Had to get recompense by using section 75 as paid my deposit by credit card so had the cover to claim if anything went wrong! Big lesson that was about paying deposits but managed to get money back. Very Happy

Not driven her yet....... Not sure when I will be allowed! Lol!

Post #447867 Thu Jan 08 2015 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123