RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Wanting a RRS 2.7 TDV6 ........ Are they really that bad!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Flinders

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
Wanting a RRS 2.7 TDV6 ........ Are they really that bad!?

Hello to everyone! I have joined this forum to get advice as after a long time deliberating I have decided the RRS is the vehicle for me to tow horse trailer and be a vehicle for getting to work etc in.

Currently have Audi A5 2.7 so looking at the same engine in the RRS. Similar MPG, insurance etc but on reading all the posts on here of all that can go wrong......and does go wrong.... I am getting put off! Are they really that bad?! Laughing Big Cry

There must be some... Quite a few of you that have no problems? If so many have these problems why do people buy them? I need to be able to have towing up to 3.5tonnes and the RRS covers that. Used to a nice car in the A5 and the RRS has that. Had an L200 before and that cost a fortune when the auxiliary belt went and got into timing belt and bent most of the valves in an engine designed to be non interference so been put off other vehicles with a good towing capacity.

Have read so much on what to look for etc in the RRS but our budget will only allow for a 05 to early 08 plate if it has the higher mileage. Probably looking at wrong time too as with snow currently on the ground and winter the prices will be higher.

Can I have some good points for the RRS rather than all the bad stories and problems that are putting me off! Lol! I am female too so make it easy to understand if it's technical! Lol! Also some of the things to look for when going to view vehicles.

Thank you and big hello to everyone! Very Happy

Post #446566 Sun Dec 28 2014 3:37pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hi and welcome to the site. Thumbs Up Don't let the lack of replies put you off these vehicles further. Shocked
The other members are still compiling a list of faults that can go wrong with these vehicles. Embarassed
Joking a side, its pot luck as with any second hand vehicle to be honest. My advice would be, look out for one of our members cars coming up for sale, there has been some nice well maintained vehicles that has been for sale recently, or look for a low mileage vehicle with full service history. Things that need to be checked:- Suspension works as it should, goes up and down ok. Not too slowly. The vehicle sits level. All suspension joints are ok and not worn or knock. Very common on these vehicles. On the test drive, check that there are no strange noises from the front and rear diffs or from the gearbox. Check low gearbox settings including hill decent. Check condition of all the brakes. Check condition of battery and alternator. Also check if and when the cambelt was changed. It should be changed at 7 year old or at 115000 miles, whichever comes first. Also another vehicle to consider is the RRS sister the Discovery. Same running gear as the sport.
Good luck with your search.

Post #446592 Sun Dec 28 2014 6:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flinders

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Thank you for the welcome and info. I was beginning to wonder if no one had any good stories to tell! Lol!

I have downloaded the list of things to check that was attached to a post on here for someone who was also looking to buy an RRS.

I would be fine with a discovery but my OH won't entertain it! Lol! I would have loved a defender but as a 3rd vehicle and I was told by many people that with a defender especially the older ones to expect to spend all my time underneath it trying to fix one thing or another so all have their issues which ever model go for!

Will take my time finding the right one. Is it worth paying for RAC to come out a check one over that interested in or not?

Thank again for reply Thumbs Up

Post #446600 Sun Dec 28 2014 7:32pm
URX

Scotland 

I've had two, both from new and done nearly 90k between them with very little in the way of hassle or problems.
The ecu needed an update on the 1st one at 100miles, the wheel arch rubbers come apart and after over 60k miles the ARB bushes needed doing front and rear. Sounded like a rust set of mattress springs but was only a couple of hundred to get sorted by an Indy. The later one has needed 1 door handle under warranty.
The post 2010 interior is far superior but the tdv8 is the nicest engine
Overall both great cars and they have both been used off road ....more than just wet grass too Shocked

Post #446606 Sun Dec 28 2014 8:18pm
darrenmcneill

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

I purchased a 2006 with 127k miles in October, and I love it.

My issues are all age related really, which have only been noticed when in use. The thing is every "bit" costs money, so like ANY car, add these up and it can start to cost money.

Just like any car. Go onto any other car forum, and If you have a good read you'l be convinced that car is the worst in the world!

Dont forget forums are mainly to rectify issues, so that's what will be on them!

Its pot luck, like with any car! You just try to research as best you can. 2006 HSE for Sale - £7,499 (Manchester)
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46383.html

Post #446629 Mon Dec 29 2014 8:05am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

There are two rules you must stick to although these do not guarantee problem free motoring with these complicated and not very well built bits of kit
The first is don't buy blind and just because it gets your juices going, get any prospective car inspected by someone who knows them, the second is buy a comprehensive warranty as it will go wrong no matter how carefully you buy.
Only other bit of advise is don't blow your wod buying, you will need 1000's annually to keep these up to speed, decent tyres, not the budget ones seen on many cars, a service and brakes are all annual requirements especially if you tow. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #446631 Mon Dec 29 2014 8:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

"as it will go wrong no matter how carefully you buy. "

in my two years owning a 2.7 TDV6, nothing has gone wrong that isn't my fault. My fuel pump stopped working though that's because I messed with the fuse box. Bought her with a FLRSH, used only the best liquids in her, one owner from new. couldn't be happier! Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #446638 Mon Dec 29 2014 10:21am
simple1

Point proved. Whistle

IT WENT WRONG....... Big Cry
There is no argument, these are great cars but the historical failures, due in the main to very shabby build quality and engineering plus some suspect dealer skills make ownership a nightmare. Think I'm qualified to make that judgement after owning three of these over last 10 years. There are, as with many brands, cars that don't have issues other than self inflicted one, Aston Martin have build issues too, my cousin bought a brand new Vanquish which spent majority of its year of ownership in dealer or eventually returned to factory like many others.
I also had full dealer history, it didn't stop the car pooing itself even though it had just been serviced with dealer oils, fluids and genuine parts. Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #446641 Mon Dec 29 2014 10:59am
SRE

Spain 

Read ANY car forum and you will always get lists of problems. Forums like this are a great place to glean knowledge of how to identify and fix the odd fault. Unfortunately you seldom get forum members telling you that their cars are problem free and how great the cars really are. What you will find though is that a lot of forum members have owned Land Rovers for many years, so they can not be that bad, yes I think I have quite a few over the years Thumbs Up In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #446642 Mon Dec 29 2014 11:26am
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

yep without a doubt it's a car where a lot can go wrong and a lot needs doing to stop it from going wrong.

the op should certainly look at the buyers guide and use it when purchasing a car. i went into my purchase knowing nothing about a rrs and in hindsight I asked and checked too little. I did the regular things like check tyres, windscreen, service history, test drove. Though if there was a hidden fault I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #446643 Mon Dec 29 2014 11:30am
simple1

There are plenty here who have never had issues. My Fullfat hasn't been near a dealer in 18 months apart from services. For me that is some kind of record and it has done 10000 miles. Will probably fall over now. We have a disco 3 that we use for work, everybody drives it, hard. In the last year it has done 20000 miles, had a body off rebuild for brake pipes, heater plugs, a suspension pump and nsr air bag, new belts, front diff, centre prop and bearing, two rear wheel bearings, complete set of wishbone bushes, seat base, drivers window regulator and then a new intercooler.
Driving it recently I suspect it's going to need a rear diff in the new year. At 123000 miles, the things that have failed are numerous but expect would be classified as wear and tear. Only reason it's been kep is it manual and extremely useful for carrying spares. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #446684 Mon Dec 29 2014 6:27pm
ilard

United Kingdom 
Re: Wanting a RRS 2.7 TDV6 ........ Are they really that bad

Flinders wrote:
Can I have some good points for the RRS rather than all the bad stories and problems that are putting me off!

I think there are plenty of positives. For example, I switched from a coupe like you would be and one of the first joys was being able to carry rear passengers without bending their legs behind their backs, essential for long journeys in heavy traffic. And the suspension goes up and down so you can rise up for a better view of the horizon / cause during traffic jams. Oh, and you can drive over things that you're not supposed to drive over like high-sided central reservation kerb stones to escape aforementioned snarl ups.

So you see there are many many good things about the RRS! Especially in traffic jams! Thumbs Up

My wife and I won't even consider selling our RRS (except to get a new one in the future, perhaps). It just does everything we need, in some style, and in loads of comfort, in all weathers. And you can't argue with that. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #446691 Mon Dec 29 2014 7:25pm
butz_lufc

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Santorini Black

I bought my 2007 supercharged HST in july and i love it,sure I've had to do a few bits on it like the wheel bearing went with no prior notice,was just driving down the road and all of a sudden it sounded like the gear box had just had a spanner thrown in it.had to get it recovered into the local dealers but apart from that it drives like a dream

I've done 2 wheel bearings and rear discs and pads since I've owned it but they are just wear and tear items. all i would suggest is to get breakdown cover just in case something happens when your out and about.

one of my technicians at work used to work for land rover and recommended holding the car at certain speeds to make sure the gears stay in gear and don't keep going up and down gears. also raise the suspension and make sure it works ok and settles back in the correct position. listen out for knocks and also drive over some bumps at slow speed to see if the steering rack knocks. I'm no expert so i may be talking garbage but it worked for me Smile

let us know what you buy and good luck Smile

Post #446693 Mon Dec 29 2014 7:45pm
jon

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi flinders , I will try to stop you making the same mistake as I , like you I wanted one of these cars for along time and when I bought one it was absolutely faultless in terms of reliability issues and had none of the dreaded suspension issues etc .

However it was probably the most underwhelming dissapointing car I have ever owned. From its awfully dated displays/ sat nav to the sluggish sometimes worrying lack of get up and go at roundabouts etc it's difficult to put into words just how dissapointed I was.

The fact I chose to to drive one of my works fiesta vans just about sums it up .

Post #446696 Mon Dec 29 2014 8:07pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

At the risk of upsetting a few:
I've wanted a range rover for 44 years. Last year I thought what the hell and got one. I'n the last year a fair few things have gone wrong, although not as many as could have done- but still more wrong than any other car I've had. It's a nice place to be, but so are many other cars. For example, I've just bought a Merc E280 estate and the power compared to the sport is like night and day. The spec is similar, it's probably more comfortable, 35 mpg instead of 25, etc etc. As said, the older sports are quite outdated inside, most go wrong and deprecate quickly. I wouldn't buy another unless I could afford a new one with a dealer warranty.
And I hate to say I don't love the image either, (22 inch wheels don't help!).
Sorry to sound negative- it was an itch, now scratched.

Post #446708 Mon Dec 29 2014 9:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>