RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > How to - wheel sealant application
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Bradders

United Kingdom 
How to - wheel sealant application

I thought it might be helpful to write up my experiences cleaning and sealing the wheels on my new BMW 320d, replacement for the RRS.

I have used this combination of products before and I am hugely impressed with the Gtechniq range.

1. C5 Wheel Armour
2. C2v3 Liquid Crystal

Click image to enlarge

C5 uses a chemical bond to become the functional surface of the wheel, making them dirt and brake dust repellent as well as being much, much easier to clean.

Also useful is anon-acidic wheel cleaner, I used Valet pro Dragon's Breath, a polish and pure alcohol.

I did this over the last days, two wheels at a time.

Starting off, I jacked up the car. Fortunately the chassis on the M Sport is quite stiff so one jacking point is sufficient to raise both wheels on one side of the car. I placed an axle stand under the rear jacking point as the car was going to be raised for at least 12 hours. Safety first, detailing chums Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

As the car is only 5 months only didn't expect the wheel to be too dirty and this is how the inside looked once taken off. Not too bad;

Click image to enlarge

A quick wash with washing up liquid in hot water (to help remove any grease and bake dust) and the wheels looked pretty good. A quick spray with Valet Pro Dragon's Breath wheel cleaner (it smells like rotten eggs) and the remaining brake dust turns purple as it dissolves. Really saves using any abrasive polish or harsh chemicals.

Click image to enlarge

Another rinse and wash later and the wheels looked really good. There were a stubborn few tar spots left on the inside so a polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish quickly removed them and provided a nice, smooth finish. I removed all residue of the polish with ISO Propanol Alcohol. A clay bar would also do the same job as the polishing stage.

It was raining by then and quite cold, so I brought the wheels inside ready for the C5 to be applied in the warmth! This is how they looked after the alcohol wipe;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The C5 is applied with the supplied cotton pads and I'd recommend wearing gloves too. A few dabs of the liquid goes a long way so it is used very sparingly and wiped over all the wheel surfaces, inside and out.

Click image to enlarge

This took about 10 minutes per wheel as it is quite tricky to get in-between the spokes. After applying the C5, the wheel is wiped with a dry micro fibre to ensure the C5 is evenly applied and that you haven't missed anywhere. I left the wheel overnight for the C5 to cure.

In the morning the surface of the wheel has changed and it feels slightly 'sticky'. This is transformed with the C2v3. The C2v3 is sprayed all over the wheel and quickly wiped over with a micro fibre. You can spray it on the micro fibre rather than the wheel itself and this does reduce any overspray. I left the wheels an hour or so and afterwards, the surface has changed quite dramatically to very smooth, almost glass like. This is this finish that the brake dust just washes off.

Click image to enlarge

A quick spray with water to show the beading effect you can expect;

Click image to enlarge

Wheels back on, and torqued up properly - unlike how BMW sold the car !!

Click image to enlarge

And the finished wheels back on;

Click image to enlarge

Centre badged lined up nicely…….. Whistle

Gtechniq reckon C5 lasts 12 months. I have found with C2v3, this combination lasts much longer, if regularly topped up. The C2v3 is used to top up the protection everyone 3-4 washes, and can be diluted with distilled water 1:2 for this. There are several other similar products to the Gtechniq range, and I suspect application would follow a similar process to this.

Hope this post is useful to all you keen detailers……….. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Last edited by Bradders on Sun Aug 10 2014 3:45pm. Edited 6 times in total

Post #432746 Sun Aug 10 2014 10:52am
panda

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Nice one Bradders.. you obviously have too much time on your hands. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

Supporting the London Air Ambulance with my Brothers

Post #432747 Sun Aug 10 2014 11:07am
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Nice write up.... Bradders

Really nice rims too... worth the hard work when they look that nice..

I'll be buying and applying Optimum Opti Coat 2 to my RRS when it arrives at the end of the month ...

am going to apply whatever is left to the wheels ... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Last edited by andman on Sun Aug 10 2014 7:46pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #432792 Sun Aug 10 2014 7:30pm
Bungleaio

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

If you judge C5 on cost per volume of liquid it is amazingly expensive but a little really does go a long way. It's the best wheel protector I've ever used.

I like the idea of the C2 to extend the life of it too, I might have to give that a go.

Post #432793 Sun Aug 10 2014 7:42pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

They look more like rubber bands than tyres Shocked

I don't think much of the valeting at the dealer you bought from Laughing

Good tip Brad - I'm going to have to sort mine - they're looking more gunmetal than silver at the moment Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #432795 Sun Aug 10 2014 7:46pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Cheers Panda. Thats pretty much what Mrs B said too Rolling with laughter

@Andman - The wheels are diamond cut on the face of the spokes and rim and gunmetal on the inner surface of the spokes. Needless to say I am parking about a foot from kerbs !! I've heard good things about Opticoat and I'd be interested to hear what you think. Are you applying it yourself ?

@Bungleaio - I used the 15ml bottle of C5 and that cost about £22.00. The C2 was about £20 but it will last me about a year as its diluted and only applied every few washes. As you stay, bearing in mind the results and long lasting properties I'm very happy with the cost.

@Muddy - surprisingly the ride is very compliant. I've left the suspension setting on comfort and its perfect for round town and also on the M way. Get your bucket out, its hard work but i reckon well worth the effort. Thumbs Up FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Last edited by Bradders on Mon Aug 11 2014 7:46am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #432824 Mon Aug 11 2014 7:06am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Good write up Bradders. Thumbs Up I used the C5 on my P1 wheels last friday before my trip down to Bruntingthorpe as i get a lot of brake dust off the pagid pads i have fitted to the car. Whistle A quick swill of with water and they are as good as new again this morning. Highly recommend C5. Thumbs Up

Post #432828 Mon Aug 11 2014 7:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

C5 is great used on my wife's car a couple of years back, could do with another coat now though

Post #432829 Mon Aug 11 2014 7:24am
andman

I've emailed Krystalkleendetail in Bicester for a quote to professionally do the Pro version... one of only 2 approved

companies in the UK at the moment... but it means staying in the UK for two extra days as it requires 24hrs cure time.

Opticoat 2 has been designed for home application as it doesn't set as quick and can be corrected more easily when applying.

Pro OC offers a Lifetime guarantee on new cars.... 5 years when applied on a used car...

I'm tempted to stay an extra two days and get a full detail and leather guard..

I'll let you know which route I go... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #432830 Mon Aug 11 2014 7:38am
Superclean

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Luxury Arctic Frost

Great post and perfectly executed tutorial on C5 application:) if you want a high hydrophobic action apply a couple of coats of EXOV2 and a quick trick of the trade. Once you've buffed off residue of the C5/EXOv2 use a heat gun to excellerated curing time. This will make the bond a lot stronger and durability will well and truly outlast 12 months for you:)

Cheers Always clean.

Post #434579 Fri Aug 29 2014 9:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Superclean

Another trick to.... If you want gob smacking durability apply Gtechniq crystal serum with EXOv2. Then put a coat of Gtechniq C0 aero coating. This added coating will stop all tar sticking to wheels. I'm pretty sure Rob the owner of a Gtechniq said there releasing to the public this winter.

Cheers Always clean.

Post #434582 Fri Aug 29 2014 9:28pm
andman

Just ordered up my Gtec C5 for my new Winter wheels, so I can seal them before the rubber goes on...

Bradders , I will follow your tutorial diligently... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #441927 Sat Nov 08 2014 8:23am
Superclean

I'll be getting my work van ready for winter next week.

Full correction detail, engine bay deep clean, wheel removal deep clean & interior detail. Then costings of choice:

Body: Gtechniq Crystal Serum, EXOv2 & C0 Aero coating.

Glass: Gtechniq G1

Wheels & Callipers: Gtechniq Crystal Serum, EXOv2 & C0 Aero coating.

Interior: Gtechniq L1 & I1.

Should take about 5 days Smile but has to be done as can not stand how much winter butchers vehicles. Always clean.

Post #441929 Sat Nov 08 2014 8:52am
andman

Mike... where can I get C0 aero coating.... it's not on the GT website 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #441930 Sat Nov 08 2014 9:03am
Superclean

Unfortunately I'm the only person who has it as I completed lmp1 & lmp2 cars at this years lemans 24 hour. I'm sure Gtech are going to offer it to the public in the next few months or so. Always clean.

Post #441931 Sat Nov 08 2014 9:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>