RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Wheel Alignment outside of LR specifications
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

However, it is possible to compensate for the road camber but still keep within LR's tolerance. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #232125 Wed Jul 29 2009 12:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

rrsjo wrote:
Ok. The first thing to do is to find a straight, quiet and flat country road. Drive down the left hand side of the road and see if it pulls towards the kerb, which presumably it will. Preferably retrace your 'steps' before driving down the right hand side of the same stretch of road (so you are on the wrong side of the road this time) and obviously when nothing is coming in the opposite direction. If the car now pulls to the right then the chances are there is nothing wrong and it is the slight camber that causes the problem. If it pulls to the left, or even drives straight, then the alignment is wrong.

Thanks - I knew how to do that! Very Happy and this is what led me to assume it was car related and not camber/surface of the road.

FYI - Steering rack was replaced today and alas the rattle/reverboration remains as before. The dealer has been great in the diligent effort to try and investigate and resolve it, but ( and in their words) having replaced pretty much everything around the suspected area including the steering column and rack they are now going to ask Land Rover Australia to look at the car.

They also did a 4 wheel alignment today and guess what the car still seems to have a strong pull to the left! Big Cry

Last edited by 2nd Rower on Wed Jul 29 2009 12:57pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #232128 Wed Jul 29 2009 12:46pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

2nd Rower wrote:
They also did a 4 wheel alignment today and guess whatperception the car still seems to have a strong pull to the left! Big Cry

hate to say it 2nd, but i had more faith in a certain tyre outlet in Bentleigh than LR when it came to setting up the LR.. they had the D3 settings but could not put it in stress mode, but no bad wear at all. LR dealership had all the systems and totally screwed it up.. my faith in them is sorely tested when it comes to alignment.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #232130 Wed Jul 29 2009 12:51pm
redrover

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

2nd Rower wrote:
rrsjo wrote:
Ok. The first thing to do is to find a straight, quiet and flat country road. Drive down the left hand side of the road and see if it pulls towards the kerb, which presumably it will. Preferably retrace your 'steps' before driving down the right hand side of the same stretch of road (so you are on the wrong side of the road this time) and obviously when nothing is coming in the opposite direction. If the car now pulls to the right then the chances are there is nothing wrong and it is the slight camber that causes the problem. If it pulls to the left, or even drives straight, then the alignment is wrong.

Thanks - I knew how to do that! Very Happy and this is what led me to assume it was car related and not camber/surface of the road.

FYI - Steering rack was replaced today and alas the rattle/reverboration remains as before. The dealer has been great in the diligent effort to try and investigate and resolve it, but ( and in their words) having replaced pretty much everything around the suspected area including the steering column and rack they are now going to ask Land Rover Australia to look at the car.

They also did a 4 wheel alignment today and guess what the car still seems to have a strong pull to the left! Big Cry

Hi 2nd Rower,

Are your tyres relatively new or quite worn? My tyres are wearing out perfectly (so the alignment is good) and at 50000km's are starting to pull a bit on heavily worn roads, which is just about every road in Sydney.

I would be interested to see how you get on with the vibration. If it is the one that occurs at 1800-2000 rpm with a little bit of angle on the steering wheel then it is the same as mine. I have been fobbed off with software updates, moving around of wiring and some excuse about the torque converter locking up for too long now. I am not going to take it back till they fix it next time. Common consensus seems to be transfer box.

cheers,
Anthony TDV6, MYO7 Java with Ivory leather, 19 inch wheels

Post #233036 Sun Aug 09 2009 7:19am
rrsjo

I have mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating.

The old 4 WD Porsche remedy (only carry out if the tyres are not marked on their side wall as for use in a single direction of rotation only) is to swop the front wheels from side to side. I believe this helps due to the combination of a slight difference in circumference of tyres and the diff itself.

Anyway, for whatever reason it is worth a try and has worked for me in the past. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Last edited by rrsjo on Tue Aug 11 2009 8:27am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #233046 Sun Aug 09 2009 11:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

Hi Red Rover,

I'm trying to think when I got the Grabbers, and I believe they are coming up to about 1 year old and about 20km's life out of them with still plenty of tread left! The grabber AT2's were recommended to me by the dealer when I asked what all terrain tyres to get on the RRS. I do not think the pull is being caused by the tyres at all, but cannot be 100% on that. I Would think that the dealer (or the bridgestone tyre place they use) would have suggested so if they thought that was the case.

Land Rover Assist (aka RACV) diagnosed the problem as steering column related when I called them out back in Feb. When I took it to the dealer, they just said it was being caused by the All Terrain tyres. I didn't accept this and through persistance they now accept it's a fault but can't seem to diagnose the root cause problem depsite changing the steering column and rack.

So the car is now to be looked at by Land Rover Australia on Wed. The car has been in somewhere above 10 times to try and diagnose and have the problem fixed. The dealer at one point even put a set of new wheels and tyres (normal road tyres) and found the the problem still existed - thus ruling out the tyres or tyre wear for this issue. Not sure of the revs, but my rattle/vibration seems to consistently occur at 60kh/h or thereabouts.

To be honest I'm getting a little frustrated as it's driving 'like a dog' with the pull to the left, nevermind the premature wear this is causing to my tyres over the last 6 months of having the problem!

Thanks
2R

Post #233047 Sun Aug 09 2009 12:01pm
redrover

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

2nd Rower wrote:
Hi Red Rover,

I'm trying to think when I got the Grabbers, and I believe they are coming up to about 1 year old and about 20km's life out of them with still plenty of tread left! The grabber AT2's were recommended to me by the dealer when I asked what all terrain tyres to get on the RRS. I do not think the pull is being caused by the tyres at all, but cannot be 100% on that. I Would think that the dealer (or the bridgestone tyre place they use) would have suggested so if they thought that was the case.

Land Rover Assist (aka RACV) diagnosed the problem as steering column related when I called them out back in Feb. When I took it to the dealer, they just said it was being caused by the All Terrain tyres. I didn't accept this and through persistance they now accept it's a fault but can't seem to diagnose the root cause problem depsite changing the steering column and rack.

So the car is now to be looked at by Land Rover Australia on Wed. The car has been in somewhere above 10 times to try and diagnose and have the problem fixed. The dealer at one point even put a set of new wheels and tyres (normal road tyres) and found the the problem still existed - thus ruling out the tyres or tyre wear for this issue. Not sure of the revs, but my rattle/vibration seems to consistently occur at 60kh/h or thereabouts.

To be honest I'm getting a little frustrated as it's driving 'like a dog' with the pull to the left, nevermind the premature wear this is causing to my tyres over the last 6 months of having the problem!

Thanks
2R

If its is constantly pulling to the left regardless of roads, wheels, tyres and alignments, then you would be beginning to suspect power steering hydraulics or possibly even DSC (slightly braking the front left wheel)?? Is there any more brake dust on this wheel compared to the others? TDV6, MYO7 Java with Ivory leather, 19 inch wheels

Post #233052 Sun Aug 09 2009 2:11pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Just learned of a good point from JKP regarding taking off wheels, changing for a new set, not liking them so return to set 1 and the car pulls to one side or the other............ when an hour before the steering had been fine.
If you have taken your wheels off recently (all of them) and then put them on again make sure that you label the wheels and make sure that you put the same one back where it was before otherwise you end up with a tyre that was say worn on the shoulder on the front offside back on the rear nearside etc and the difference in wear on the tyres can be enough to make the steering pull to one side or the other - strange but true! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #233150 Mon Aug 10 2009 6:41pm
2nd Rower

Thanks Tim - I'm taking a punt by assuming the dealer has followed this Whistle

2nd Rower wrote:
So the car is now to be looked at by Land Rover Australia on Wed.

Now scheduled for Friday as LRA couldn't do Wed! Rolling Eyes

Post #233189 Mon Aug 10 2009 10:35pm
rrsjo

rrsjo wrote:
I have mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating.

The old 4 WD Porsche remedy (only carry out if the tyres are not marked on their side wall as for use in a single direction of rotation only) is to swop the front wheels from side to side. I believe this helps due to the combination of a slight difference in circumference of tyres and the diff itself.

Anyway, for whatever reason it is worth a try and has worked for me in the past.

I still suggest you try this. Wink Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #233208 Tue Aug 11 2009 8:30am
2nd Rower

Thanks RRSJO - appreciate the input.... At this stage and 6 or so months after having asked them to align the wheels I would have hoped that such a simple resolution would have been tried by the boffins at my dealer and the Bridgestone tyre centre!

I'm a little over it now and just want the two matters fixed... Waiting with baited breath for teh expert from Land Rover to have a drive on Friday!

Post #233213 Tue Aug 11 2009 8:48am
BKHK

Australia 

2nd

Try Lance Dixon, they have their own tyre department now and as a main stealer they should know what they are doing

Post #233400 Thu Aug 13 2009 2:13am
2nd Rower

So the LRA Rep had a drive with me, he asked for the the car to be realigned/tracked and tyres rotated again after I left the dealer. My perception from collecting the car is it is still pulling over and above what would be causded by any camber..

They are suggesting maybe the tyres so I have asked them to categorically prove this.

Post #233621 Sun Aug 16 2009 3:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12