RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Wheel Alignment outside of LR specifications
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White
Wheel Alignment outside of LR specifications

My car has been continuing to pull to the left for some weeks since the Dealer checked/corrected the alignment. It has been back three times and they have confirmed each time that the alignment is correct, but the car was still pulling to the left slightly (exactly as if the tracking is out).

Having been requested by the dealer, I today went direct to the tyre shop they use for this to show them the problem. They agreed the car was pulling, but again found the alignment correct by LR standards. So they moved the alignment slightly outside the LR specs to counter what they consider to be a problem caused by road camber.

Now this hasn't solved it 100%, so I intend to go back and further query this with the dealer, but before I do I would like to understand if it is an acceptible practice to have a car's alignment slightly outside of the Land Rover Factory specs, particularly when it is believed it is the camber of the roads causing the movement to the left??

TIA

2R

Post #228417 Wed Jun 17 2009 9:53am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

There are folks out there with more knowledge about it than me, but I'd say that if you have to set your alignment outside the factory spec to cater for an inherent problem, then all you're doing is putting a sticking plaster on it. You're not getting to the root of the problem and resolving that, albeit that you're trying Wink

I'd say that if you deliberately run your car out of alignment for long, your tyres will start to wear unevenly which can then provide a host of other knock-on symptoms.

Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #228432 Wed Jun 17 2009 12:18pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Just thinking aloud - was the fuel tank full when the 4-wheel alignment was done? Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #228446 Wed Jun 17 2009 1:41pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i would have thought LR parameters are there for a reason, not to be adjusted by the tyre guys to correct things

Possible pulling could be caused by binding bearings/brakes or a difference in load in the car such as fat driver and all the luggage at one side, but with Air suspension that shouldn't effect it, unless the cars wasn't levelling out

Post #228447 Wed Jun 17 2009 1:47pm
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

How did you solve this issue?
I may be paranoic but I feel to be getting the same issue even after a dozen allignements by LR and non LR tire shops. Rolling Eyes

Post #231864 Sun Jul 26 2009 9:28am
2nd Rower

Welll its not fixed yet. Evil or Very Mad

They found last week that the steering wheel they replaced was one notch out, so this was contributing to the car not going in a straight line! They haven't done the realignment yet as they are replacing the steering rack on Wednesday in an attempt to fix a rattle/reverboration that has been going on since Feb.

So if all goes well I'll have a car back on Wed that no linger rattles and drives in a straight line! Laughing

Post #231871 Sun Jul 26 2009 12:05pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

2nd Rower wrote:

So if all goes well I'll have a car back on Wed that no linger rattles and drives in a straight line! Laughing

Don't hold your breath Evil or Very Mad Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #231872 Sun Jul 26 2009 12:55pm
C10KO

2nd Rower wrote:

They found last week that the steering wheel they replaced was one notch out, so this was contributing to the car not going in a straight line! They haven't done the realignment yet as they are replacing the steering rack on Wednesday in an attempt to fix a rattle/reverboration that has been going on since Feb.

Why do you need a car driving in a straight line, i don't know Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Please let me know if you got the problem solved... Thumbs Up

Post #231873 Sun Jul 26 2009 1:04pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

2nd Rower wrote:

They found last week that the steering wheel they replaced was one notch out, so this was contributing to the car not going in a straight line!

Sorry, but having the steering wheel one notch out, or even many notches out is not going to cause the car to pull to the left. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #231921 Mon Jul 27 2009 11:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

When I hold the steering wheel so that it is straight, then the car 'pulls' to the side!!! Laughing

Post #231979 Tue Jul 28 2009 5:46am
rrsjo

2nd Rower wrote:
When I hold the steering wheel so that it is straight, then the car 'pulls' to the side!!! Laughing

You mean when you let go of the steering wheel on a flat road the car steers straight BUT the steering wheel is not in the straight ahead position by a small margin. If your dealer trys to rectify this by moving the steering wheel on its splines (which is not the correct solution) then the steering sensor will be out of position and will probably give and error signal and require attention. Your dealer should be putting the car back on the alignment machine and adjusting both tie rods to get the steering wheel in the correct postion and which he should have done in the first place. Whistle Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #232019 Tue Jul 28 2009 1:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

No I mean when I let go of the steering wheel with the steering wheel true and straight and the car pulls to the left! Evil or Very Mad This on roads of no real camber, where the car previoulsy (i.e several maonths ago) had no issues and didn't pull to the side! Confused

I even demonstrated this the the wheel alignment place the dealer use by taking them ou myself!

Post #232069 Wed Jul 29 2009 5:45am
rrsjo

Ok. The first thing to do is to find a straight, quiet and flat country road. Drive down the left hand side of the road and see if it pulls towards the kerb, which presumably it will. Preferably retrace your 'steps' before driving down the right hand side of the same stretch of road (so you are on the wrong side of the road this time) and obviously when nothing is coming in the opposite direction. If the car now pulls to the right then the chances are there is nothing wrong and it is the slight camber that causes the problem. If it pulls to the left, or even drives straight, then the alignment is wrong. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #232071 Wed Jul 29 2009 7:01am
C10KO

I can prove rrsjo's words. My car also seemes to be pulling constantly to the left. As it was really driving me mad I was testing it quite extensively the orther day and can conclude it is clearly due to camber. Mainly since on some roads it also pulls to the right and on some (not many here around Grantham) it even goes straight Laughing

Post #232075 Wed Jul 29 2009 7:40am
awilde

Romania 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Driving a LHD Model in Europe I also experience that the car is pulling away from the center of the road, in this case pulling to the right. I am fairly sure that this is due to the camber of the road.

Post #232079 Wed Jul 29 2009 8:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>