RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Looks like my clutch is dying!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Im going to do the 4ltrs drain and refill run for a few miles , then drop the sump and add a new one with some more new oil. Sad so yes the flushing will be done.

Ill get a price for the sump today for you.
Im still sticking with the LR oil even tho its a arm and leg to buy,every 2 years or so is not bad i suppose.

Regards Pete 

Post #196558 Mon Nov 17 2008 12:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

UPDATE

Took the RRS into Guava Guildford and their prognosis is wonky rear offside driveshaft and leaky diff. Fingers crossed. Great service from Guava! Thumbs Up 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #196583 Mon Nov 17 2008 1:36pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

told you....

Driver abuse. Laughing

Mart
(still joking) Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #196585 Mon Nov 17 2008 1:39pm
bellautos

Ive done my oil drain and refill today, ill leave it like that for now and may be change the sump/filter next service with new oil again.

3.65Ltrs came out and nearly 4ltrs went back in using the correct LR method of filling etc etc.
Took me about 1.5hrs giving plenty of time for the last dregs to drip out of the sump and not just rushing it.
I pre warmed the oil to 45C in warm water because the PDF says filling needs to be measured between 30 and 50c when i added the most of the oil i logged it onto IDS Diagnostics the oil temp had droped to 35c due to the gearbox been cold, i ran the engine as per and all is well Smile

http://www.bellautoservices.co.uk/TDV6-auto-trans-oil-temp.JPG

Regards Pete 

Last edited by bellautos on Tue Nov 18 2008 11:37pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #196621 Mon Nov 17 2008 5:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Pete,
It will be interesting to know if it sounds or behaves differently.

What colour was the old oil?
Did it smell burnt ?

Was it like brown sauce? Whistle

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio

Post #196622 Mon Nov 17 2008 5:28pm
bellautos

Yes ill let you know if it made any difference.

Re the oil , Hummmm My car has done 53K with 1 owner and its never been off road or hard worked.
Yes the oil was very dirty as you say a bit like watery brown sauce,defenetly not and no where near clean.

It actualy makes you think why LR advise that you only change it at 150k or 10years.
It didnt smell burnt but it was well dirty.

The sump does not look fun to remove,i can imagine the front row of bolts are hard to get at.

Regards Pete 

Post #196627 Mon Nov 17 2008 5:50pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Does it have a drain plug , I had it in mind you had to remove the sump to drain the oil.

Is there a special tool to get at the bolts or is it just a question of skinned knuckles?

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio

Post #196630 Mon Nov 17 2008 6:10pm
bellautos

It has a drain plug m8,see the pdf in the above post and it has some nice pictures in also Smile

I think only skinned knuckles possibily from what i seen there are probabaly only 3 or 4 at the front.

Regards Pete 

Post #196642 Mon Nov 17 2008 8:42pm
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

Nutty Nige wrote:
What would you prefer is the obvious question - a transmission service every 2 years at £80 or a replacement transmission 6 months after warranty expires at a guess I would think around £4000 - £7000. It depends on application if you potter round all day chances are it will be fine.
If you get it stuck in the mud or tow a heavy obstacle behind when do you think - I will now stop for an hour to let the transmission fluid cool down due to the excessive pressure and heat I have just bestowed upom my car?? Your choice.

I agree Nutty..but if that's all they are charging you for the fluid change that would be a surprise. Here in the U.S. the cost of labor and fluid is upwards of $450 just for the transmission and an additional $250 or so for the differentials- I checked just 3 months ago at the 50K service on the transmission and differentials. The only one I had done that was reasonable at $100 was the transfer case. At any rate, I do think the transmission must have a longer extended warranty period than the original 4/50. PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #196650 Tue Nov 18 2008 5:19am
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

bellautos wrote:
Ive done my oil drain and refill today, ill leave it like that for now and may be change the sump/filter next service with new oil again.

3.65Ltrs came out and nearly 4ltrs went back in using the correct LR method of filling etc etc.
Took me about 1.5hrs giving plenty of time for the last dregs to drip out of the sump and notjust rushing it.
I pre warmed the oil to 45C in warm water because the PDF says filling needsto be measured between 30 and 50c when i added the mostof the oil i logged it onto IDS Diagnostics the oil temp haddroped to 35c due to the gearbox been cold, i ran the engine as per and all is well Smile

http://www.bellautoservices.co.uk/TDV6-auto-trans-oil-temp.JPG

Regards Pete

well done pete. you have just reduced the chances of a burn up of the forward drive clutches, and the lock-up clutch by a mile. You are right about the fluid amount when draining, don't be worried about that because there is between a half and one litre of fluid left in the torque convertor that will not drain back, (sits in the lower half - obviously)

Regards
Nigel. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #196721 Tue Nov 18 2008 11:16pm
bellautos

Thanks Nutty Nige for the reasurance,

do you think i would gain any more from changing the oil again after a few or 500 ish miles with this lot of new oil in ?

Im not botherd about the cost of the oil or doing it again so soon ,id prefer to have a mechanicly perfect car.

Regards Pete 

Post #196724 Tue Nov 18 2008 11:45pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It will not do any harm - I would but then I am real fussy about it - that is the only way to get most of the old stuff out. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #196773 Wed Nov 19 2008 12:31pm
bellautos

Thanks Nige , ill do it again after a few miles.

Regards Pete 

Post #196774 Wed Nov 19 2008 12:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123