RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Bigger Intercoolers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Bigger Intercoolers

Has anybody tried fitting a larger intercooler instead of chipping their RRS?
http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/index.htm 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #188127 Sat Sep 13 2008 8:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DMike

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Might just be because its late, but they dont list an uprated I/C for a RR sport, or a D3...

Post #188133 Sat Sep 13 2008 10:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

It's not because it's late it's because Twisted Performance don't do one..................... I posted the wrong URL.
and on investigation of the agent for the other intercooler people they "are working on one for the TDv6 but not yet the TDv8" 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #188153 Sun Sep 14 2008 8:53am
Josh

United Kingdom 

I spoke to someone about this couple of years ago and I think it wasn't possible or even necessary. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #188157 Sun Sep 14 2008 9:52am
dadanek

Czech Republic 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

The only thing I need bigger is BIGGER HAMMER! Laughing RANGE ROVER, MORE THAN A CAR, LESS THAN A KITKAT

Post #188158 Sun Sep 14 2008 10:19am
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

Bigger intercooler by itself won´t make much difference and it seems all of the mainstream tuners find that a sensible chipped output can be achieved within the std i/c capacity so why bother???

I had a D2 with the JE stage 2 tune which included a bigger intercooler - now that worked well! Very Happy Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #188352 Mon Sep 15 2008 9:33pm
DMike

A bigger capacity I/C cools the incoming air more than a standard one, making the air even more dense, allowing the turbo to fill the I/C with more air than normal, and also injecting more fuel, which gives the power increase.
The bigger the I/C, the greater the power increase (to a point)
Also works great with a custom re-map Thumbs Up

As for the standard I/C itself, i dont see how they can make the standard one any bigger. Theres not that much space between the grille and the radiator...

Post #188375 Tue Sep 16 2008 8:54am
simonsi

Agreed but unless the D3 engine management injects more fuel due to the lower charge air temp (and I don't think it will), you wouldn't get much increase from a bigger intercooler alone even if one can be fitted, you would need a remap to take advantage of it. Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails

Post #188386 Tue Sep 16 2008 9:22am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks guys, the reason I ask is that I have recently seen a TD5 Defender90 XS which has a conversion by Ashcroft Engineering to an automatic and it has also has a larger JJ Fearn Intercooler fitted. In the sale blurb there was no mention of it having been chipped as well but the dealer selling it does say that the power is now increased to 190BHP. I contacted them yesterday and it transpires that the car has also has the Fearn tune-up chip as well as the bigger I/C - they claim the cooling area has been increased from 6sq mtr to 28 sq mtr.
I dread to think what all this has done to the TD5 engine in the way of longevity! The car I was interested in is a 2004 90 XS with only 20k miles 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #188397 Tue Sep 16 2008 9:54am
simonsi

Tim in Scotland wrote:
...power is now increased to 190BHP. I contacted them yesterday and it transpires that the car has also has the Fearn tune-up chip as well as the bigger I/C - they claim the cooling area has been increased from 6sq mtr to 28 sq mtr.
I dread to think what all this has done to the TD5 engine in the way of longevity! The car I was interested in is a 2004 90 XS with only 20k miles

My D2 had the Stage 2 JE tune fitted at 80,000miles and was still going fine at 192,00miles when I sold it, JE also quote 190hp for their S2 with bigger intercooler so I guess the TD5 bottom end is fine for that power output, much better than the factory 136hp Very Happy Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels

Post #188436 Tue Sep 16 2008 4:11pm
DMike

simonsi wrote:
Agreed but unless the D3 engine management injects more fuel due to the lower charge air temp (and I don't think it will), you wouldn't get much increase from a bigger intercooler alone even if one can be fitted, you would need a remap to take advantage of it.

Ah, but it does. Open the bonnet, count all the sensors you can see on the engine. Take that number, treble it, and you are close to what is actually fitted, that isnt visible... And remember that becasue the air is denser, there is also more air being pumped in, as well as being colder

But i agree, to make the most of a bigger intercooler, a remap is essential

I was looking for a bigger I/C on my own car and most seem to claim 15-20bhp increase as a stand alone upgrade. So, another say 15bhp ontop of an already remapped TDV6 will be very noticeable Thumbs Up

Post #188440 Tue Sep 16 2008 4:34pm
Tim in Scotland

Si, that amount of extra performance must have given the GTi brigade a nasty fright now and again! That's one reason that I fancy that 90.......................... sort of a stealth car with some extra muscle for offroad use too!
Reliablity is of prime importance to me - anything more than changing filters and topping up and I need an expert! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #188447 Tue Sep 16 2008 5:16pm
simonsi

DMike wrote:
Ah, but it does. Open the bonnet, count all the sensors you can see on the engine. Take that number, treble it, and you are close to what is actually fitted, that isnt visible... And remember that becasue the air is denser, there is also more air being pumped in, as well as being colder

But i agree, to make the most of a bigger intercooler, a remap is essential

I was looking for a bigger I/C on my own car and most seem to claim 15-20bhp increase as a stand alone upgrade. So, another say 15bhp ontop of an already remapped TDV6 will be very noticeable Thumbs Up

There are loads of sensors but unless one of them measures the effect of the intercooler (eg charge air temp post-intercooler), the engine management will never know and will assume the effect of the std intercooler based on ambient temp, incoming air temp and road speed for instance. Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels

Post #188557 Wed Sep 17 2008 11:03am
rrmad

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I had a larger intercooler along with remap on my TDV6 Sport. Performance was very simalar to TDV8. Intercooler was designed to fit in front of radiator and a/c condensor about 6 times bigger than standard. Neat installation and conected into existing pipe work. The twin intercoolers on the TDV8 would make it a little more difficult.

Post #191064 Mon Oct 06 2008 10:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1