RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Compomotive's new PD1880 18" wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Roland

Switzerland 

Thanks for the information, Umberto. That's good news cause my car is a 06MY, means I should have the 9x19 then. Have exchanged the 19" wheels with the winter tires with the 20" summer tires last weekend so it should be easy to find the specs on the inside of the wheels. SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #163367 Fri Apr 04 2008 8:21am
Japseroony

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi Guys,

Just contacted Compomotive today re these wheels and they say they dont have any and probably wont for at least 8 weeks but Bowler will have them as an off the shelf unit.

As a result I have today spoken to Bowler who inform me that whilst they will fit, you have to take off each break unit the "harmonic damper" which will cause severe break squeeling. He advised that this is not a problem for racing but woud be a serious issue for on road as it is very loud and can not be stopped Exclamation Exclamation

The cost from Bowler direct is £194.16 + VAT each and wheel nuts would be required at £2.50 each. He went on to say that Compomotive should not be selling these direct as Bowler have these made and they are patented to them Question Question so not sure why they are offering them to me at £971.00 inclusive when they get them in Exclamation Exclamation

Tim, did you get any or not?

Russell.

Oh, nearly forgot, but I was on a LR Experience day last week and they had a RRS TDV8 with 19" off a Discovery3 on it so maybe LR do make a 19" wheel that will fit. "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #164394 Thu Apr 10 2008 2:36pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yes, Bowler designed them especially to fit the Nemesis but I understood that Compomotive were selling them under license. Maybe that's not the case... Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #164395 Thu Apr 10 2008 3:10pm
Pelyma

England 

Does the FFRR 19" wheel fit? I picked up 4 with new tyres for £395 Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #164396 Thu Apr 10 2008 3:18pm
Japseroony

shmoogle wrote:
Yes, Bowler designed them especially to fit the Nemesis but I understood that Compomotive were selling them under license. Maybe that's not the case... Confused

Hmmnnn, not according to Bowler today as they say only Bowler can sell them but maybe the chap I was talking to was misinformed Question

Anyway, I think the break squeeling is more of an issue and would put most people off buying them unfortunately Sad Big Cry "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #164398 Thu Apr 10 2008 3:23pm
Japseroony

Pelyma wrote:
Does the FFRR 19" wheel fit? I picked up 4 with new tyres for £395

Not sure, but if they do fit did the person you bought them off have any more Question "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #164399 Thu Apr 10 2008 3:24pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

If you look in this thread...

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21546

They say that the harmonic dampers can be "turned in" - not sure if that means that they can be altered so as not to impede the rim or not.... there are plenty of people using them, so it can't be all bad. 

Post #164400 Thu Apr 10 2008 3:34pm
Leo

Kenya 

shmoogle wrote:

Not quite, AFAIK, Compomotive designed and built the wheel, which is available with or without the 'Bowler' logo and in a few different sizes. The damper blocks on the calipers just need to be turned around - makes no difference to their function.

Jasperoony, LR definitely make a 19" wheel that fits - standard issue in these parts. Have a look at the LR website for details though you will surely have more choice in off-road tyres if you buy the Compomotives. However, being in the UK, there are often very cheap 19" rims on ebay and you can get Goodyear MT/Rs relatively easily.

Last edited by Leo on Thu Apr 10 2008 4:04pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #164406 Thu Apr 10 2008 3:57pm
mambo

This isn't the huge hanging damper we're talking about - it's a small block on the caliper itself which can just be taken out and put in backwards; I remember an aussie on here that machined himself a custom pair and also ran without them for a bit on stock LR 18"s. I don't think turning the blocks around will help with the LR wheel though.

Post #164407 Thu Apr 10 2008 4:01pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Aside from the very early batch that Umberto was talking about earlier on, the stock "HSE" 19in alloy fits over the Brembos anyway without any modification of the brake block. Evidently, for the Compomotives this brake block doesn't need to be removed (as Bowler apparently said) just turned around... Thumbs Up 

Post #164408 Thu Apr 10 2008 4:09pm
Pelyma

England 

Japseroony wrote:
Pelyma wrote:
Does the FFRR 19" wheel fit? I picked up 4 with new tyres for £395

Not sure, but if they do fit did the person you bought them off have any more Question

They have them all the time and 19" RRS wheels, they couldn't sell any of those at all. i sold my original wheels for £200 so effectively put new tyres all round for £195 Mr. Green Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #164416 Thu Apr 10 2008 5:39pm
Japseroony

shmoogle wrote:
If you look in this thread...

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21546

They say that the harmonic dampers can be "turned in" - not sure if that means that they can be altered so as not to impede the rim or not.... there are plenty of people using them, so it can't be all bad.

Has anyone actually done this and does it work Question If so then how long does it take and can a DIY person do it or does it need a LR trained mechanic (if there is such a thing) to do this Question "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #164456 Fri Apr 11 2008 7:20am
mambo

Read the thread he linked. All it needs is an allen key.

Post #164464 Fri Apr 11 2008 8:54am
matt lister

United Kingdom 

Good morning to all posters,
I would just like to clear up some confusion about the fitment to the pd1880 to range rover sport with brembo caliper set up.
For all my sins i am the purchasing manager for Bowler off road and have been speaking to one of the members of the forum regarding the fitment of the pd1880.
When this wheel is fitted to range rover sports with brembo brake set up you have to remove the harmonic damper from the brake calliper. this causes excessive brake squeal that is not acceptable on a road car. Turning the damper is not recomeded as you are taking the brake system away from its type approval and may have implications in a accident or any warranty claims. The pd1880 is only available through Bowler off road when required. There is a very visually similar wheel style the mo1881 which is for road cars and only rated to a weight of two tonnes so not suitable for range rover sports but may fit with the harmonic damper. The pd1880 is a motorsport wheel and has a higher strength and falls in line with all f.i.a regulations regarding maximum rolling radius. Please feel free to copy and paste this message on other forums to clear up the confusion.

all the best with your range rover sports

Matt lister
Purchasing Manager
Bowler off road Ltd

Last edited by matt lister on Mon Apr 14 2008 10:22am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #165049 Mon Apr 14 2008 10:07am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the clarification, Matt.... so where do Compomotive come into all this? Are they Bowler's supplier? Confused 

Post #165053 Mon Apr 14 2008 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>