RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Compomotive's new PD1880 18" wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Compomotive's new PD1880 18" wheels

I have been in contact with Compomotive this morning and in reply to my inquiry I received the following email

Quote:
Tim,

Ok thanks for your reply…
Ok so yes the 8x18 PD wheel will clear the Brembo brakes with ease.
We can produce this wheel without the Bowler logo so I guess that this is the way to go forward with this enquiry.
Now that I know what you want I will reply shortly with some costings.

This opens up a whole new world of MT and AT tyres for both RRSports with Brembos and DR.

Quite fancy an RRS with Bowler logo'd wheels........................... beats having Kahn on them! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #144363 Tue Nov 06 2007 2:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

So you are going to take it off road then Tim? Thumbs Up
Looking at the 19" wheels that are on the car just now, they just clear the brakes and no more, I can't even get my pinky between the caliper and the wheel rim!
So, what are the tyre options for the 18" rim then?
SWMBO seen a disco3 with an expidition roof rack .... "I like that" she says... Shocked she also likes the G4 RRS Thumbs Up Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #144364 Tue Nov 06 2007 3:04pm
Tim in Scotland

Ali, I'm looking for a set of winter tyres and wheels - I have now got a set of 19" wheels thanks to Salmon Fisher.
Re Tyres, all the well known brands seem to make AT's and MT tyres up to 18" but no bigger so there is more choice and if I could get a set of BFG AT's to fit in the arches those are the tyres I would have Cool But while they make 18" tyres the profile is too high to fit into the arches on full lock! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #144365 Tue Nov 06 2007 3:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The tyre fitters checked the arches for the MT/Rs touching as it looks close when at access hight.
Like yourself I was looking for a winter / offroad wheel and tyre esp. if I have to go to Germany as they require it from October onwards. In Switzerland they require you to carry snowchains from 15th october, but not planning to go back there too soon. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #144367 Tue Nov 06 2007 4:17pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Tim any pic's of the wheels ? RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #144371 Tue Nov 06 2007 5:35pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Howdy Jay, there is a thread on rr.net about this wheel. They charge US$426 each here in the US, not bad considering the current exchange rate and transportation costs across the pond:

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19909

Manufacturer's page: http://www.comp.co.uk/news/detail.asp?news...RAID+WHEEL 

Last edited by umbertob on Tue Nov 06 2007 5:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #144373 Tue Nov 06 2007 5:45pm
Tim in Scotland

Here's a direct link to the piccy just for Jay
http://www.comp.co.uk/news/detail.asp?news...RAID+WHEEL 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #144375 Tue Nov 06 2007 5:48pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Like those! Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #144380 Tue Nov 06 2007 6:21pm
Tim in Scotland

Nice and simple and should be easy to clean the mud out of them after a play off road! I don't know how well the white or gold coloured sets will stand up to off-roading though Big Cry 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #144384 Tue Nov 06 2007 6:31pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Ali, I'm looking for a set of winter tyres and wheels - I have now got a set of 19" wheels thanks to Salmon Fisher.
Re Tyres, all the well known brands seem to make AT's and MT tyres up to 18" but no bigger so there is more choice and if I could get a set of BFG AT's to fit in the arches those are the tyres I would have Cool But while they make 18" tyres the profile is too high to fit into the arches on full lock!

Tim, can you confirm that the old style 19 inch wheel will also clear the Brombos on a TDV8? SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #163182 Wed Apr 02 2008 4:05pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I'm not Tim Wink but the 19s have always cleared the Brembos.... the only 18s that will are the Compomotives in this thread Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #163183 Wed Apr 02 2008 4:07pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Yeah I am aware about that Shmoogle, but I am in the process of ordering a TDV8 and the dealer is very firm about the fact that the old style 19 inch wheel does not clear the Brembos. I am asking cause the TDV8 comes with the 20" wheels and I'd like to keep my 2005 19 inch alloys for winter and offroad tyres. SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #163186 Wed Apr 02 2008 4:38pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Nice and simple and should be easy to clean the mud out of them after a play off road! I don't know how well the white or gold coloured sets will stand up to off-roading though Big Cry

Novice question Embarassed .....will these have any impact on speedo readings or does the tyre size compensate for that Question TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #163264 Thu Apr 03 2008 11:20am
umbertob

Roland wrote:
Yeah I am aware about that Shmoogle, but I am in the process of ordering a TDV8 and the dealer is very firm about the fact that the old style 19 inch wheel does not clear the Brembos. I am asking cause the TDV8 comes with the 20" wheels and I'd like to keep my 2005 19 inch alloys for winter and offroad tyres.

When the RRS first came out in 2005, a few units were apparently fitted with 8x19 wheels. The 8" width was not sufficient to clear the Brembo calipers. Shortly thereafter, the same mold was "stretched" to 9" wide to fit the Brembos. Unless you read the specs on the alloy (I think it's stamped or printed inside one of the spokes) or physically measure it, it's impossible to tell the difference between the two wheels by looks alone. The mildly redesigned 19" rim on 2007+ models should also be compatible with the bigger front brakes. In the US, I don't think we ever got those "skinny" 19s, but some early production models in Europe may have them. The door tag on my NA-spec HSE actually lists them both: 8.0x19 and 9.0x19. If you own a MY05 or early 06, your dealer may have a point. 

Post #163347 Thu Apr 03 2008 11:22pm
umbertob

Josh wrote:

Novice question Embarassed .....will these have any impact on speedo readings or does the tyre size compensate for that Question

The tyre size will compensate for that... If you pick the correct tyre size. Smile Usually, if you go with 18s you also buy all-terrains with the most sidewall the car will take for off-roading purposes. Doing so will therefore screw up your speedo some. For instance, my 285/60/18s make the speedo about 6mph slower than it should be due to the larger total circumference of the 18" off-road wheels as opposed to my stock 19" setup. No biggie, though. As long as you remember you are traveling a bit faster than the speedo reading, it won't affect the car. The satnav calibrates separately so that's not an issue either.

A tire calculator helps if you are comparing different size wheels: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos 

Post #163348 Thu Apr 03 2008 11:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>