RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Supercharged or td6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Supercharged or td6?

So what would you choose if you could do it all again? Supercharged or diesel? The fuel economy would really start to get on my nerves I think with a s/c. But they make me drool the most. Either that I will get the regular Rangie.

Reason being, we are going to change our P38 early next year and still don't know which would be better. My head says reg RR, but the RRS is sweeeeeet! Cool

i would like honest opions about how you think the fuel economy plays a part in you everyday enjoyment of the car?

G 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #5397 Thu Nov 17 2005 10:40pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

As I'm getting into my dottage at 49,have just sold a 2003 Range Rover TD6 for a TDv6 Sport, have also got the "need for speed" thing out of my system and have run numerous petrol and diesel cars all at my own expense over the last 25 years of motoring I would say.................. it's horses for courses!
Modern diesels are getting better and better but they will never give you the same "get up and go" from the traffic lights as a petrol engine, but once they are in the torque band then you have wads and wads of creamy torque to play with from about 1600rpm to 4000rpm. Lets face it if you choose to cruise at the legal limit all day then there is little between whichever engine you choose except that you will get nearly twice the range out of a tank full of diesel than you would out of a tank full of 4*, but then does that matter as you have to stop for driver/passenger comfort on a long run every couple of hours anyway, even if it is just to stretch your legs! Generally I try not to go over 3 hours at a stretch and usually break after 2-2.5 hours, so filling up with petrol isn't going to make that much difference to the time taken on a long trip. However, do you feel that it is worth paying some £3000 more to have a thirsty V8 petrol engine over a more frugal, slightly less refined (not a lot in it these days) diesel car of the same spec? I only do about 6000 miles a year and was always told that to make a diesel worth while you need to cover more than 12000 miles a year, these days I don't think it matters.
However, what sort of driving do you do? Lots of short stop start trips in town or moderate (>30 miles) or long distance motorway hauls with little stop start town stuff? If you only do short hops and commuting then you will not see much difference between a diesel engine's fuel consumption and that of a petrol engine, both are not efficient in that sort of driving. If your trip to work is 30-50 miles each way on the motorway then you will find the diesel more economical to run as they need to be well warmed up and running at steady revs to show decent economy returns.
So in the end I would say it comes down to personnal prefence, if I could afford to run a V8 or S/C then I'm sure I would have bought one - I ran a TVR 450SEAC for a couple of years and then a V8 Discovery and neither could in any way have been classed as economical cars, but with careful driving I could get both to do 20mpg with a very light right foot. If your car is a company car then at present either engine has CO2 emissions that put in the highest band for company car tax, but that is all going to change next year I believe so you may want to take that into acocunt.
As for the difference between the V8 and the S/C I cannot comment not having driven too many S/c's, but I would imagine that despite what the government fuel consumption figures say, in real life motoring there probably isn't that much difference in fuel consumption but a big difference in the "traffic light GP" perfromance!
As for comparing the regular RR to the RRS then I have run both and still love the big RR for it's cabin ambiance and Grand Touring ablity and comfort. It is VAST inside, you really do feel superior to all other road users as you sit so much higher than even a P38A so if you need all that interior space then go for the RR, if you don't and you are happy with a more car like interior, slightly lower roofline then go for the Sport. Remember that 2006 Rangies now have the TDv6 engine and aslo much better driving dynamics than pre2006 cars (despite the clever air suspension the pre 2006 cars could roll around as much as the P38A in spirited driving!). Personnally I think that the aircon/ ventilation on the Sport doesn't even compare with the sophistcated humidity controlled system on the big RR which once it was set I found I never had to adjust and could tell whenever somebody else had driven the car and fiddled with it. I would also think that if you regularly carry rear seat passengers then they would prefer an L322 RR to a Sport as there is acres of legroom in the back of the big Rangie and a bit less in the Sport! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5399 Thu Nov 17 2005 11:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Fuel prices are only going to rise. Diesel may get even more expensive than petrol, but then they still will be cheaper to run. And you've got to also consider that the diesel is cheaper to buy and would sell much quicker when used.
I'd love a supercharged, but it costs £13,500 more than the diesel and drinks more fuel and I can't see that it is ever worth it. For that price you could have a new TDV6 and then buy a second car to have your kicks in, like a 2002 Vauxhall VX220 with 26k miles (just looked at Autotrader website).

If the Supercharged looked different (i.e. body kit or flared wings etc) then there might be more justification for paying such a high premium. As it is, you can cheaply upgrade the grill and side vents and make any normal model look as good as the supercharged. The diesels aren’t ‘that’s slow either – in ‘real life’ driving. They are still fun to drive. They get better as the engine beds in. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #5400 Thu Nov 17 2005 11:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Remember that 2006 Rangies now have the TDv6 engine

Teeny weeny pedant mode on - the full size RR is still running the Td6 (BMW 3.0 diesel). The petrol engine has changed to the Jaguar V8, but I presume that the diesel is waiting for the TDV8 Cool Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #5401 Fri Nov 18 2005 12:03am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I'd still go for the SC despite the higher fuel costs, its just too much fun to drive, I've yet to drive ANY diesel that puts a smile on your face like a smooth torquey V8 Petrol does.

I love the effortlessness, the grace, the power, the noise. Diesels don't do any of that for me.

Yet.

That may change with the TDV8 L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5403 Fri Nov 18 2005 12:22am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

RRUK wrote:
I've yet to drive ANY diesel that puts a smile on your face like a smooth torquey V8 Petrol does.

Ever driven a Golf GT TDi? That puts a smile on your face. Fab car - you can go nuts in it and it still returns near 55mpg!

Yes, when the V8 diesel comes out, I'll probably part-ex my V6. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #5404 Fri Nov 18 2005 12:45am
Gazzer

Tim, thanx for your generous reply. Appreciate the insight esp. with the big RR experience. It will be the wifes car, and she does short journeys with a long blat a few times a month. The P38 does about 16mpg with the present driving style around town. It will be the 'family' car and am leaning towards the big RR which we'll get the 4.4ltr Vogue (used) I'm thinking maybe get the Sport for me now Very Happy

I think you are probably right unless you need a long range cruiser the petrol is the best way to go.

Many thanks guys n gals.

So td owners don't you have that little niggle saying I was I got the s/c RRS???? Wink

Post #5407 Fri Nov 18 2005 9:53am
Biggles

England 

It would be a diesel for me. Although I did almost buy the supercharged, I decided against and do not regret my decision.
I held of buying the bigger range rover mainly because of the extra size but deep down because I knew I would not be happy with its road holding when pushed and always thought the BMW 6 cylinder derv engine was just a little over matched.
I think Tims, impressions are great because he has actually owned both and gives the best perspective, I have driven and also know people with the regular rangie and still feel happy and smug when I get back in my sport. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #5408 Fri Nov 18 2005 10:14am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

As you have been running a 4.6P38 then I think that you would find the TD6 too much of a come down performance wise............. 13.6secs 0-60 even if you do get nearly 30mpg on a good day would be a huge change in performance! A 2nd hand low miles 4.4V8 L322 Vogue would be a better bet, and the price of a nice 3 year old car will be quite reasonable as the last owner will have taken the depreciation hit. My TD6 fell from £43000 in June 2003 to £29000 in June 2005 despite only having 17000 miles on it, what counted most was it's colour and spec. Monte Carlo Blue was not that popular a colour (more popular than Icelandic Blue, Alveston Red and White though!) and mine was an SE spec with heated seats front and rear as the only optional extras, so didn't have the fancy satnav/tv and other fancy toys like heated steering wheel etc. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5409 Fri Nov 18 2005 11:29am
Mr G in NYC

United States 

Only one option for me .....the RRSport SC, okay its heavy on gas, but
I only drive about 5k miles per year so might as well make them
memorable miles!! Its just so much more fun to drive than the big
brother RR, which is a fabulous car I hasten to add, but i love the fact that
if prompted......you can open up the throttle and release all 390+bhp and
go like the clappers !! It really does like to go fast ! and that for me is what
having a cool car is all about......being a speed junky....within reason of course !! happy motoring everyone.

Post #5416 Fri Nov 18 2005 3:34pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Hi Gazzer

As you know my wife has the Sport TDV6, however a close friend has the Supercharged. Our type of driving is similiar and he seems to average 14-16mpg whereas we average 23-24mpg. Now that we have had the TDV6 chipped we have the gorgeous torque of the turbo-diesel, the much better fuel consumption and now the accelerative performance very close to that of a normally aspirated V8. Personally I can't see the point in paying more for the NA Petrol when the Torque of a Diesel allows you to get away with a smaller capacity engine and therefore, coupled with the fact it's a diesel, much better miles per gallon and range.

Regards
P 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #5454 Sat Nov 19 2005 10:57am
Gazzer

Thanx P. How is the 4S? Is it much better than the 2S?

I think we will end up with a regular size RR as when I explored the both of them y'day, the RR felt such a great car to be in, far more comfy.

Post #5461 Sat Nov 19 2005 5:52pm
MDP

United Kingdom 
Re: Supercharged or td6?

Gazzer wrote:
So what would you choose if you could do it all again? Supercharged or diesel?
Reason being, we are going to change our P38 early next year and still don't know which would be better.
G

I'd hang on a bit longer - wait for more info on the forthcoming new V8 diesel 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5520 Mon Nov 21 2005 12:48pm
Gazzer

MDP wrote:
Gazzer wrote:
Reason being, we are going to change our P38 early next year and still don't know which would be better.
G

Just giving some thought to the V8 oil burner. Thus will surely end up burning as much as the V8 petrol engine at more cost? Be it in the RRS or RR. Maybe great for towing but not for everyday driving, as those who have had trheir td6's chipped there is more power at the expense of mpg?

Post #5559 Mon Nov 21 2005 6:31pm
Gazzer

Gazzer wrote:
MDP wrote:
Gazzer wrote:
G

Just giving some thought to the V8 oil burner. Thus will surely end up burning as much as the V8 petrol engine at more cost? Be it in the RRS or RR. Maybe great for towing but not for everyday driving, as those who have had trheir td6's chipped there is more power at the expense of less mpg?

G
 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE

Post #5560 Mon Nov 21 2005 6:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>