RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Supercharged or td6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 
Re: Supercharged or td6?

Quote:
Just giving some thought to the V8 oil burner. Thus will surely end up burning as much as the V8 petrol engine at more cost? Be it in the RRS or RR. Maybe great for towing but not for everyday driving, as those who have had trheir td6's chipped there is more power at the expense of mpg?

A lot of the mods are reported to actually increase mpg rather than decrease it. I'd certainly look at the the V8 - the current V6 in non-chipped form can be a little disappointing sometimes performance-wise. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5564 Mon Nov 21 2005 6:40pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Gazzer wrote:
Thanx P. How is the 4S? Is it much better than the 2S?

I think we will end up with a regular size RR as when I explored the both of them y'day, the RR felt such a great car to be in, far more comfy.

G

WOW Love it.
Traction is incredible in the rain.
A lot of people seem to advise against the 4WD but the wider hips really look awesome and the extra traction in slippery conditions is really noticeable when pulling out of junctions quick and of course the 4 has the "Electronic Brake Prefill" and "All Wheel Brake Assist" which are extra benefits not found on the 2WD version. I think the extra cost of the 4WD is better value than the extra cost of the Cab.

Regards P Laughing 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #5570 Mon Nov 21 2005 8:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Gazzer wrote:
MDP wrote:
Gazzer wrote:
So what would you choose if you could do it all again? Supercharged or diesel?
Reason being, we are going to change our P38 early next year and still don't know which would be better.
G

I'd hang on a bit longer - wait for more info on the forthcoming new V8 diesel

Just giving some thought to the V8 oil burner. Thus will surely end up burning as much as the V8 petrol engine at more cost? Be it in the RRS or RR. Maybe great for towing but not for everyday driving, as those who have had trheir td6's chipped there is more power at the expense of mpg?

G

Hi G
I really don't think the V8 Diesel will burn any where near as much fuel as the V8 Petrol. Maybe you should look at comparison between Audi A8 Petrol V8 & Diesel V8.

Regards

Peter 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

Post #5571 Mon Nov 21 2005 8:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gruffalo

It has to be the RRS Supercharged, stuff the petrol costs, this is the most complete car I have ever found, all the off road ability expected from a Range Rover with near sport car feel if you want to press on abit. Don't forget that it is not just the engine but the whole feel of the car that is different especially with the anti roll system that is standard on the super changed model.

Post #5585 Mon Nov 21 2005 10:57pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Quote:
Hi G
I really don't think the V8 Diesel will burn any where near as much fuel as the V8 Petrol. Maybe you should look at comparison between Audi A8 Petrol V8 & Diesel V8.

Regards

Peter

Landrover have never been good at powerful, economical diesel engines though like they are not good at economical petrol engines, I don't think you can compare Audi to LR. I wish we could, Ideally the DV8 needs to be at least 300bhp, do 0-60 in about 8-9 seconds max, have bags of torque and even with spirited and urban driving to return 28mpg minimum. That means that on a run you'd be able to get about 34mpg.

If they can build this, I'd be seriously interested in swapping. Until then I'll stick to the SC or who knows, another brand if it seems even better? Audi's soft roader is out soon isn't it? L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5595 Tue Nov 22 2005 9:57am
Persuader

United Kingdom 

RRUK wrote:
Quote:
Hi G

Regards

Peter

Landrover have never been good at powerful, economical diesel engines though like they are not good at economical petrol engines, I don't think you can compare Audi to LR. I wish we could, Ideally the DV8 needs to be at least 300bhp, do 0-60 in about 8-9 seconds max, have bags of torque and even with spirited and urban driving to return 28mpg minimum. That means that on a run you'd be able to get about 34mpg.

If they can build this, I'd be seriously interested in swapping. Until then I'll stick to the SC or who knows, another brand if it seems even better? Audi's soft roader is out soon isn't it?

Is that not down to the weight of Land Rovers as opposed to Land Rover not being any good at developing Diesel engines. Remember the TDV6 ia a Peugeot unit that has been fettled by Ford and is now assembled by Ford and the TDV8 is a development of this. The TDV6 is a re-worked version of what was in the Peugeot 406 Coupe as i understand it. Also the new Diesel engines going into the Freelander are developed from the new Peugeot/Ciitroen 2.0 and 2.2 Diesels. In my experience Peugeot/Citroen are very much admired world-wide for their Diesel technology.

I'm not comparing Land Rover with Audi, I'm just suggesting that as audi has a V8 Diesel in its range that, anyone who can be bothered, compares it to the corresponding V8 Petrol in its range as I can not think of another UK car at the moments that offers the choice of V8 Diesel or V8 Petrol, apart from the Audi A8, like the Range Rover will. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

Last edited by Persuader on Tue Nov 22 2005 12:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5602 Tue Nov 22 2005 10:19am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

You're right, the weight is a big factor, we drive one of the heaviest cars on the road right now!

Land Rovers have never been lightweight cars though and so they know what they are contending with when they select and tweak a diesel engine. It's easy to see what the market is doing and how good the competitors are, so why Landrover cannot react to this with a fantastic diesel engine I have no idea.

It would make them a much more successful car sales organisation as a result and help to rid them of the environmentally unfriendly badge they have. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5605 Tue Nov 22 2005 11:07am
MDP

United Kingdom 

VWs' Touareg V10 diesel compares to the sport/supercharged .......advantage?????.... look at the figures

Power
5.0 V10 TDI (4,921cc): 230kW (313PS) at 3,750 rpm / 750Nm (553 lb ft) torque at 2,000 rpm.

Performance
5.0 V10 TDI auto: 0-60 7.5 seconds; top speed 140mph; combined consumption 12.2 litres/100km (23.2mpg); CO2 emissions 329g/km; Euro 4.

Kerb weight: 2,214 – 2,524kg = VW

Unladen total (EEC Kerb) in Kg.
TD6 Diesel - 2455
Petrol V8 - 2480
Supercharged - 2572
Max Torque 550Nm/3500rpm

So its nearly as heavy as the supercharged - has similar performance ( a lot more torque ) - and does more to the gallon 23.2 compared to the superchargeds 17.8

It would be interesting to see what LR would charge for this if it was ever fitted - you can bet it would cost more than the petrol supercharged! Confused 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5609 Tue Nov 22 2005 11:19am
rich1231

Has anyone had their RRS SC tuned?

DMS are saying they can get 450HP out of it.

Cheers

Rich

Post #5626 Tue Nov 22 2005 3:04pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

rich1231 wrote:
Has anyone had their RRS SC tuned?

DMS are saying they can get 450HP out of it.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

There are many tuners out there all rushing to develop their products for the Supercharged - from simple re maps to engine overhauls. Overfinch have already launched a 5.0l 500bhp version.

http://www.overfinch.co.uk/?node_id=1.4&am...4f73e38f57

There is also a link to price list in my Gallery:-

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayim...&pos=3

Not cheap Confused 

Post #5628 Tue Nov 22 2005 5:57pm
rich1231

Thanks MDP!

Post #5631 Tue Nov 22 2005 10:38pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Just wait until the V8 arrives...when we get our hands on one it'll definately blow the SC into the weeds!!

If only they could make a diesel sound like a petrol Wink

Post #5676 Wed Nov 23 2005 10:05pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

turbochip wrote:
Just wait until the V8 arrives...when we get our hands on one it'll definately blow the SC into the weeds!!

If only they could make a diesel sound like a petrol Wink

Now there is a challenge. What about a shed load of soundproofing material for a start & a free set of ear muffs Wink 

Post #5716 Thu Nov 24 2005 11:14am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Clears throat................. Martin I don't mean to be rude but have you been in a TDv6 lately? Having recently driven a 4.4V8 I can assure you that that there isn't much in it noisewise, so any more noisekilling panels are not necessary and I would say that at motorway speeds the TD is QUIETER than the V8 petrol............ yes the vibrations are noticable when it is idling but engine noise is exceptionally well suppressed, and it is certainly quieter than the TD6 RR. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5720 Thu Nov 24 2005 11:38am
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Clears throat................. Martin I don't mean to be rude but have you been in a TDv6 lately? Having recently driven a 4.4V8 I can assure you that that there isn't much in it noisewise, so any more noisekilling panels are not necessary and I would say that at motorway speeds the TD is QUIETER than the V8 petrol............ yes the vibrations are noticable when it is idling but engine noise is exceptionally well suppressed, and it is certainly quieter than the TD6 RR.

Totally agree Tim. The great thing about modern Turbo-Diesels's is that they don't need to rev as high as a petrol to gain maximum torque and when we have vehicles as heavy as ours torque is one of it's most important attributes. The V8 RRS will be mega I'm sure.

Incidentily stats from Audi website re comparison of their A8 Petrol 4.2 V8 and A8 4.2 Diesel V8.

Petrol 0-60 = 6.3 MPG = 23.5 335HP(6500RPM) 430 lb'ft Torque (3500RPM) Emission = 288
Diesel 0-60 = 5.9 MPG = 29.4 335HP(3780RPM) 479 lb'ft Torque(1600-3500PPM) Emmision = 258

So basicly chaps the diesel is faster accelerating, better on fuel, has the same horsepower at nearly half the RPM and has more torque over the entire rev range.

Who wants a petrol now??? 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

Post #5723 Thu Nov 24 2005 12:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>