RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Supercharged or td6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Clears throat................. Martin I don't mean to be rude but have you been in a TDv6 lately? Having recently driven a 4.4V8 I can assure you that that there isn't much in it noisewise, so any more noisekilling panels are not necessary and I would say that at motorway speeds the TD is QUIETER than the V8 petrol............ yes the vibrations are noticable when it is idling but engine noise is exceptionally well suppressed, and it is certainly quieter than the TD6 RR.

I doubt there is much in at motorway speeds from inside the cabin but should you find yourself on the outside, the diesel is still fairly noisy compared to a petrol engine. Not quite as tractor-like as the TD4 in other LRs but even so. And you'll never get that throaty rumble of the V8 regardless of what you do to it... regardless of the fact they drink petrol like its going out of fashion, you can't beat the sound of the V8. I think after 3 months of owning my first diesel, my next car will be petrol again. There, I said it Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5726 Thu Nov 24 2005 12:30pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Persuader wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Clears throat................. Martin I don't mean to be rude but have you been in a TDv6 lately? Having recently driven a 4.4V8 I can assure you that that there isn't much in it noisewise, so any more noisekilling panels are not necessary and I would say that at motorway speeds the TD is QUIETER than the V8 petrol............ yes the vibrations are noticable when it is idling but engine noise is exceptionally well suppressed, and it is certainly quieter than the TD6 RR.

Totally agree Tim. The great thing about modern Turbo-Diesels's is that they don't need to rev as high as a petrol to gain maximum torque and when we have vehicles as heavy as ours torque is one of it's most important attributes. The V8 RRS will be mega I'm sure.

Incidentily stats from Audi website re comparison of their A8 Petrol 4.2 V8 and A8 4.2 Diesel V8.

Petrol 0-60 = 6.3 MPG = 23.5 335HP(6500RPM) 430 lb'ft Torque (3500RPM) Emission = 288
Diesel 0-60 = 5.9 MPG = 29.4 335HP(3780RPM) 479 lb'ft Torque(1600-3500PPM) Emmision = 258

So basicly chaps the diesel is faster accelerating, better on fuel, has the same horsepower at nearly half the RPM and has more torque over the entire rev range.

Who wants a petrol now???

And if Land Rover stick to recent form the TDv8 will be considerably less expensive than a petrol V8! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5728 Thu Nov 24 2005 12:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Persuader wrote:

Incidentily stats from Audi website re comparison of their A8 Petrol 4.2 V8 and A8 4.2 Diesel V8.

Petrol 0-60 = 6.3 MPG = 23.5 335HP(6500RPM) 430 lb'ft Torque (3500RPM) Emission = 288
Diesel 0-60 = 5.9 MPG = 29.4 335HP(3780RPM) 479 lb'ft Torque(1600-3500PPM) Emmision = 258

So basicly chaps the diesel is faster accelerating, better on fuel, has the same horsepower at nearly half the RPM and has more torque over the entire rev range.

The 4.2 audi Diesel has only just been launched ( this being thir best offering ) I think I would still go for their NEW offering of the forthcoming petrol version S8 allbeit a new V10 ( their ultimate petrol engine? ) = Audi has fitted a 5.2-litre V10 engine developed from the 5.0 V10 in the Lamborghini Gallardo, good for 450bhp and 398lb ft of torque and featuring the FSI direct-injection technology. Up to 90% of the torque is available at just 2,300rpm, peaking at 3,500rpm, though peak power is delivered at a high-revving 7,000rpm. The S8 is capable of accelerating 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds, though its top speed is electronically limited to 155mph (a performance that is pretty similar to that of the A8 W12). Fuel consumption, should this be a concern, is a relatively frugal 20.3mpg, aided by the S8's lightweight aluminium body and structure.

However - I will admit diesels are getting better and better , but from the outside they will always be a DIESEL and never sound as gorgeous as a stonking rumbly petrol V8 ( or even V10 in this instance )

Expect a huge price hike when LR launch the V8 Diesel 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5731 Thu Nov 24 2005 1:23pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I've not yet owned a Diesel myself, but the wife had an Audi A4 2.5V6 TDi, and that was amazing, good economy at 42mpg average, but ran out of puff easily when overtaking I found.

PLEASE LandRover, PLEASE make a really good diesel that has 300BHP, oodles of torque and will do more than 30mpg!! L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5734 Thu Nov 24 2005 1:56pm
Tim in Scotland

The problem for Land Rover is that bucketsful of torque at high revs (= lots of power) doesn't make a good offroader! Tonnes of torque low down in the rev band at low revs is what makes an offroader and I think that LR are not prepared to compromise on that front - even if you never take your car offroad you EXPECT it to be good offroad because it is a Land Rover, otherwise you will end up with a Subaru Imprezza on stilts - all go and little offroad ability. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Fri Nov 25 2005 12:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5744 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Persuader

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
Persuader wrote:

The 4.2 audi Diesel has only just been launched ( this being thir best offering ) I think I would still go for their NEW offering of the forthcoming petrol version S8 allbeit a new V10 ( their ultimate petrol engine? ) = Audi has fitted a 5.2-litre V10 engine developed from the 5.0 V10 in the Lamborghini Gallardo, good for 450bhp and 398lb ft of torque and featuring the FSI direct-injection technology. Up to 90% of the torque is available at just 2,300rpm, peaking at 3,500rpm, though peak power is delivered at a high-revving 7,000rpm. The S8 is capable of accelerating 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds, though its top speed is electronically limited to 155mph (a performance that is pretty similar to that of the A8 W12). Fuel consumption, should this be a concern, is a relatively frugal 20.3mpg, aided by the S8's lightweight aluminium body and structure.

However - I will admit diesels are getting better and better , but from the outside they will always be a DIESEL and never sound as gorgeous as a stonking rumbly petrol V8 ( or even V10 in this instance )

Expect a huge price hike when LR launch the V8 Diesel

Hi Martin

The V8 Diesel has been around for some while on the European mainland. The purpose of my post was to compare a similar size engined V8 Diesel with a V8 petrol as RR will be launching a V8 Diesel soon but you are quoting stats from a petol car that dosen't have a Diesel comparable. very clever pro-petrol tactic Laughing

Incidentily have you heard the new V10 M5 at idle?. It sounds like a previous generation Diesel. Embarassed

My main point is that, in my opinion, it's daft to have a high horse power gas guzzling petrol engine in a heavy off-roader when for every day driving, on-road and off-road it is low -rev torque that is of paramount importance and a charged Diesel engine will always have more of this than a petrol engine due to its combustion method.

The best solution, I think finance allowing, is mine which is to have a RRS Diesel and a Porsche 997. Cool

GAZZER it's your fault you started this topic. Rolling Eyes

Peter 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #5870 Fri Nov 25 2005 12:03pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Persuader wrote:

The best solution, I think finance allowing, is mine which is to have a RRS Diesel and a Porsche 997. Cool

GAZZER it's your fault you started this topic. Rolling Eyes

Peter

Hi Peter,

Like your thinking - but if I change to the V8 Diesel then the other car would have to be the new Audi RS4...... theres just too many options... my head hurts Crying or Very sad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5871 Fri Nov 25 2005 12:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Stuff your RS4 Martin. sorry but if I had to exchange my Defender for something else then it would have to be the Aston Martin V8 Vantage that I have just been to see in Edinburgh.
There is no mistake in the first sentence you did read Defender - I would not change my TDv6 for anything except another Sport, doesn't matter which engine but I would prefer a deisel! I would even give up playing offroaders for an AM! It is truely beautiful, pity there is no 4WD version with a green oval on the back (yet!) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5884 Fri Nov 25 2005 3:43pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Laughing Laughing You'll have a long wait, Tim! 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5886 Fri Nov 25 2005 3:47pm
Tim in Scotland

Next April Shmoogle....................... and it will match the Sport but have tan hides instead of Aspen. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5887 Fri Nov 25 2005 3:50pm
Tim in Scotland

But it won't belong to me................................... it transpires that on the day my brother took delivery of his DB9 earlier this year he immediately placed an order for the V8 and got right to the top of the queue!
Oh to work in the oil industry............................. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5888 Fri Nov 25 2005 3:55pm
Mr G in NYC

United States 

OR.................
What about a 4x4 Bentley !!!!!
Does not VW own Bentley or is
it Rolls Royce?? I forget in this
polygot world of mega brand
portfolios...........................
Shame LR and AM are owned by
Ford. I would have prefered for
them to be still 100% British and
Independent. Why the hell did Rover
allow the Mini to be retained by BMW !!!!!
I loved the Mini, spent many youthfull
years changing clutch's and stripping
engines on the little beast.
Rambling again !! LOL

Post #5891 Fri Nov 25 2005 4:00pm
Tim in Scotland

Bentley Contis and GTs are 4WD G

BTW have I missed something, cruising on the M40 the other week a 4 door Bentley GT-a-like flew passed.............. is there now a saloon version on the market? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Fri Nov 25 2005 4:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5893 Fri Nov 25 2005 4:04pm
Mr G in NYC

United States 
SAD DAY

Lets all tip our hats and bow our heads and toast the greatest football
player the world has ever seen. "George Best" who sadly passed away
today.....his death even made the news here in NYC on CNN.
Saw him play a few times........magic......loved his taste in cars e types
daimlers astons et all and the girls !! Talk about living life to the full !
God bless him....he was a STAR !!!

Post #5895 Fri Nov 25 2005 4:06pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
BTW have I missed something, cruising on the M40 the other week a 4 door Bentley GT-a-like flew passed.............. is there now a saloon version on the market?

Yup, Bentley Flying Spur - basically a 4 door saloon version of the GT Cool Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #5896 Fri Nov 25 2005 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>