RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 6 Pot Brembo v 6 Pot Land Rover Callipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>

jases4x4

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

Old ones here done about 500 miles in 2 months im just hoping new are not the same.

Post #633078 Mon May 15 2023 5:00pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

They do look a bit of a mess for pads that have only done 500 mls. but if they have been in and out several times I guess it wouldn't help, only asking but are you sure they were genuine EBC pads and not some knock off Chinese copies.

Cheers
Col

Post #633080 Mon May 15 2023 10:35pm
jases4x4

They came from a reputable retailer maltings 4x4 who have sent replacement which comes in same box with all stickers etc so they look genuine. Do you think having the discs rotate the wrong way would create excess wear? Do these look the right way?

Click image to enlarge

Post #633094 Tue May 16 2023 9:19pm
Col

The grooves on my EBC discs are slightly curved, but they appear to be going in the opposite direction to your's they curve back towards the top of the caliper rather than away from it. Will see if I can find a picture without the wheel on later to illustrate what I mean.

Wouldn't describe it as the best illustration Rolling with laughter but you might see what I mean about direction.

Cheers
Col

Post #633097 Tue May 16 2023 9:40pm
jases4x4

Yes that looks right, I walked past a Mercedes today with the disc going the same way you have shown, The opposite to mine so i thought I should ask this question and if so cut this be an issue wearing more of the pads maybe? i read on other posts it doesnt make a big difference.

Post #633098 Tue May 16 2023 10:07pm
Col

I do recall reading others saying the direction makes no difference, but as the manufacturer states which way round to fit them I tend to rely on that information rather than some "know it all expert".
Bit of a pain I know, but as you have tried most things It might be worth a shot at reversing them.

Cheers
Col

Post #633099 Tue May 16 2023 10:58pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6515 - makes total sense IMHO. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #633100 Tue May 16 2023 11:31pm
Col

The vanes in my particular EBC discs look more like the 'pillar' style vanes which do give the impression of being uni-directional, however the discs were actually marked O/S and N/S by the manufacturer so personally I will work on the basis that is the position they need to go. Can't really comment on other manufactures/fitment etc. because I really wouldn't know.

Cheers
Col

Post #633104 Wed May 17 2023 2:08am
jases4x4

TheWojtek wrote:
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6515 - makes total sense IMHO.

So going of this then mine are correct you’re saying?

The Terrafirma discs didnt come with any directional markings on them or the box.

Post #633108 Wed May 17 2023 7:54am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Well, in any doubt I would follow the manufacturer's instructions. Those who mark OS/NS discs do it for a reason. Those who don't - they may be omitting an important information so always worth double-checking the slots and vanes. The Zeckhausen guys have a very plausible logic behind the direction of the slots. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #633111 Wed May 17 2023 8:32am
Col

I'm inclined to think as far as the grooves on the disc face are concerned they are fitted the wrong way round, however I think you firstly need to determine which style of cooling vane you have, straight and pillar style are non directional, whereas the curved one's are if I understand correctly. Why not just email the manufacturer for advice and see if they bother to respond.

Cheers
Col

Post #633115 Wed May 17 2023 9:23am
jases4x4

Hi Gents, I think i will email Terrafirma and ask them, The Discs came in a box with no instructions what so ever but with them not been straight grooves maybe they should face a certain way, I will report back once they respond. Thanks again.

Post #633213 Fri May 19 2023 9:35pm
jases4x4

Hi Gents, Please let me know your thoughts, I have replaced the pads but still getting squeaking most of the time when braking, This is after a mile as soon as they have heated up. Now im thinking is the pistons sticking alittle, Enough to constantly cause friction with pads meaning they get super hot and with the pressure of braking they’re squeking?

When i lift foot of peddle theres no squealing, I sprayed water on the discs after a 10 mile drive last week and it hissed turning to steam, Would this sound like pistons? They’re new refurbished 6 pots from ssl wakefield so i have messaged them about replacing calipers but no reply as yet. Any experienced mechanics can advise please its 4 months of testing and second set of ebc yellowstuff pads? Thanks

Post #633788 Sat Jun 17 2023 3:33pm
Salisburylander

2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

See Col’s diagram ref groove direction.

Are you saying that the pistons are sticking in your newly refurbished calipers? If water boils on them if you haven’t actually used them much, then they just might be. I haven’t tried such an experiment on my car.

The EBC website states that Yellow Stuff pads are more for “Fast Road” use and “are perfect for occasional track days”! Perhaps time for a change of pad material.

I have been using EBC Ultimax 2 brake pads on my 6-pot calipers when I had them fitted and now with my 4-pot calipers. Haven’t had a problem with them squealing at all.

Post #633789 Sat Jun 17 2023 4:06pm
jases4x4

I have contacted Terrafirma who state they have not hd any issues with their discs and pads compatibility and they can rotate in any direction, See my photo below if you think this is right? I could swap them over to see if it makes a difference if you think that could stop the noise? Looking at cols diagram i do have them facing correct way?

I was thinking maybe 1 of the pistons could be sticking to get them so hot? Interesting you mentioned track racing because when im on dual carriage way hitting the roundabout hard braking theres no noise.

I only sprayed water experiment because when mr rears seized i could smell burning and when sprayed it confirmed they were so hot it turned to steam instantly.

Post #633791 Sat Jun 17 2023 4:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>