RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Front parking sonsors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Front parking sonsors

I have just bought a 2014 L494 and the operation of the parking sensors seems strange. It is unlike my previous sport. Is it normal?

From turning the ignition on, the front parking sensors do not work unless specifically switched on using the switch next to the display screen. If you use reverse gear first, then the front sensors are also activated and stay on until the ignition is next turned off. On my previous car, the sensors were live all the time, unless you switched them off.

Is this correct operation, or are they faulty? It seems odd that you have to select them every time.

Also, is there any way to permanently disable the stop-start? Because it cuts the engine anytime that the wheels stop turning, it is downright dangerous when turning right. The engine restart may be instant, but then the torque convertor has to spin up before the car moves. I have already formed the habit of turning it off every start-up.

And don`t get me started on not having a dipstick. What a bloody daft idea!!

Thanks
Adam..

Post #520759 Mon Mar 13 2017 2:05pm
hafman

United Kingdom 

That front sensor behaviour is the same as my MY15.5

If you come to a stop VERY gently you can get the engine to not cut out if desired. Don't think you can disable the feature full time though.

Post #520760 Mon Mar 13 2017 2:09pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Regarding front parking sensors: I am sure that they can be set to either be on or off by pressing and holding down the button for around 6 seconds.

Regarding stop / start: I find that I have to apply just a little extra pressure for the engine to switch off. This could be just down to my driving style.

Hope that helps
Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Last edited by Violetpiano on Mon Mar 13 2017 3:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #520765 Mon Mar 13 2017 2:38pm
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

I find that too, thought it was my driving style but if I'm only lightly on the brake the stop/start doesn't kick in. Add a tad more pressure and the engine cuts out...

Post #520769 Mon Mar 13 2017 3:09pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

That's a design feature so that when you are in crawling, stop/start traffic the engine doesn't stop and start dozens of times. I have a hard job making the stop/start system work at all on my vehicle, but that's another story.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #520776 Mon Mar 13 2017 3:33pm
Black Bess

Thanks all for the info. Very helpful.

I have now adopted the habit of cancelling the start-stop every time I start up. On a manual car, you have to engage neutral and handbrake on for the engine to stop. Doing it when an automatic is in drive is crazy.

I will have to play around with the parking sensors to see if I can make them permanently on.

Thanks again
Adam..

Post #520839 Tue Mar 14 2017 10:20am
wilf

I am told that disconnecting the secondary (small) battery will inhibit the stop/start.

There was a software fix for MY 16 cars to ensure that the front sensors remained on if that was selected from the relevant screen. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #520851 Tue Mar 14 2017 12:37pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Stop-start will soon stop working on its own when the batteries go flat! Laughing

Incidentally, I had to remove the trim from the right hand side of the boot as well as the spare wheel to fit a battery charger socket and connection, and discovered that there are actually three batteries. One is huge (under the wheel), one is medium sized (mounted high in the right rear wing) and one is small (lower and aft in the same wing space). I'm guessing that (in the same order) they are engine start, accessories, and stop-start.

Post #520852 Tue Mar 14 2017 12:45pm
wilf

I am told that the little "stop/start" battery isn't used to start the engine, the main battery always does that. The little one powers the electrics while the engine is stopped.

No idea what the middle sized one is for! MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #520883 Tue Mar 14 2017 3:37pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Yes, I meant that it operates the stop/start system, which is why apparently that is disabled if you disconnect it. Given that people have disconnected it and everything else still works, that would suggest the middle-sized one operates all the other electronics/accessories.

Post #520886 Tue Mar 14 2017 3:44pm
IRBails

Australia 

wilf wrote:
I am told that the little "stop/start" battery isn't used to start the engine, the main battery always does that. The little one powers the electrics while the engine is stopped.

No idea what the middle sized one is for!

This is correct when you think about it you want the high drawing current as close to the source as possible , the loss of power by running heavy leads from the back of the car to the front would be very inefficient. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #520936 Tue Mar 14 2017 9:49pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

But the starter battery is still in the back.

Post #520937 Tue Mar 14 2017 9:51pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Regarding front parking sensors, mine come on whenever reverse is selected (or if I push the button) but turn off once your doing over about 10mph or thereabouts. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #520956 Wed Mar 15 2017 12:10am
IRBails

Australia 

donny dog wrote:
But the starter battery is still in the back.

The battery that powers the starter motor is the large Battery which as you say is at the back, I was reflecting on the R50 which had the accessory battery in the rear and the start battery in the front. My bad?? And the one thing I did say correctly was running leads a long way does lead to loss. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #520986 Wed Mar 15 2017 11:21am
Black Bess

Well, I sorted out the sensors at the front. It was as Violetpiano described above. By pressing and holding the button on the side of the display screen I was able to make them come on and stay on at all times, just like my old Sport.

Pity I cannot do the same for the auto stop-start, which is downright dangerous when turning right.

I am still kicking myself for giving up my lovely old 2005 sport for this thing. At least I am enjoying planning what I can exchange it for. Thumbs Up Very Happy

After two previous Range Rovers over the past 18 years, I fear this one will have a short tenure and be my last.

Post #521180 Fri Mar 17 2017 2:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>