Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Help required! TDV8 A/C condenser removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ragpicker

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Sumatra Black
Help required! TDV8 A/C condenser removal

Hi Chaps!

So armed with the guide from Disco Mike on here for replacing the a/c condenser on a Disco 3 I thought I'd have a go at doing it on our TDV8.

I got to this:

Click image to enlarge

I then could not for the life of me figure out how to get the condenser out! I still had the big plastic air scoop attached by the incredibly fiddly 8mm bolts either side of it (I can't see how that comes out either, even when you've undone those Censored bolts).

I then looked at the condenser ECP have sent me and it is completely different to the one on our car. The dryer unit is in front of the condenser rather than behind it, the bracket mounts are in the wrong place, but it was the correct dimensions. With that I put the whole thing back together and was suitably fuming!

So, can someone please tell me how I would get the condenser out from this point? I had pulled the crash bracket off as you can see, disconnected the power steering cooler, undone the a/c lines and the small hidden bolt underneath them and undone the top two bolts from the condenser.

Where have I gone wrong, and does anyone have a link to a TDV8 condenser please??

Ta!

Post #500454 Sat Jul 09 2016 2:58pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Your not far away Laughing

Condenser is the first full height radiator in the rad pack Thumbs Up

Post #500459 Sat Jul 09 2016 4:10pm
ragpicker

Hi,

Yeah, I know which one the condenser is but I simply cannot figure out how to remove it. I've disconnected the A/C lines, removed the PS cooler (still in situ in the pic), undone the upper bolts holding the condenser to the bracket, but the condenser will not budge!

Are there more bolts to remove which are holding it in place? Will removing the air duct make things easier? How do you remove it because even when the 2 bolts holding it in place are removed it still doesn't look like it will come out.

The process seems significantly different to the one for the Disco 3, and there are no DIYs out there for the TDV8... Crying or Very sad

Post #500460 Sat Jul 09 2016 4:15pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Never actually done one on a TDV8, but done them on the 4.2 which is very similar.

Been trying to find the picture of the 4.2 to see what else came off, but can't seem to find it

Post #500462 Sat Jul 09 2016 4:39pm
Rasher 007

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi fella, changed mine yesterday so know what you are talking about!!! I undid top pipes and top 2 bolts from the intercooler and also the 2 bolts thru front air duct from bottom of intercooler. This allowed more movement. As you look at vehicle from front, the right hand air duct screw that you talk about can be undone with an air ratchet and 8 MM. socket but the left one is basically impossible. Undo the right one and with intercooler movement you can wiggle the right side free but the tabs on the bottom that the bottom bolts go thru on condenser ( 4 bolts in all)! Are what's hooking up on plastic cowling. Look at new condenser and you will see the 4 tabs. When you start wiggling condenser about, you will see. I gently used a pry bar to ease plastic on left hand side. Any consolation, new one goes in easier!!!!! This is all assuming you undid all 4 bolts that hold condenser to intercooler. Also, whilst intercooler is loose clear leaves and litter from between it and main radiator. Hope this helps If a hammer won't fix it.... It's electrical!!

Post #500472 Sat Jul 09 2016 8:05pm
ragpicker

Cheers Rasher!!

So it wasn't just me being dumb then! Them little 8mm bolts are a nightmare! I was basically taking the right hand one out when I decided I'd check the new condenser - glad I did because it was the wrong one! So i've put it all back together again until I can get one that fits and will have another go.

So undo the right bolt with an air ratchet, use a crow bar and wiggle the intercooler until you can see the other 2 bolts at the bottom, and then wiggle the condenser out?

Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks for taking the time to register so you could make that your first post! Much appreciated!! Bow down

Post #500473 Sat Jul 09 2016 8:12pm
Rasher 007

No need to wiggle to see front 4 bolts but they are the same as top 2 and a little hidden behind rubber flaps looking thru air duct at front it would help if you could see a new condenser so you have an idea where you're looking

If a hammer won't fix it.... It's electrical!!

Post #500474 Sat Jul 09 2016 8:22pm
ragpicker

Where did you get the condenser and how much?

Cheapest I've found is £197 from here: https://www.trillickautoparts.com/item/lr018405/84261

Post #500475 Sat Jul 09 2016 9:22pm
Rasher 007

Hello again .i do quite a bit on cars and local motor factors got it for me (sc spares in Ashford Kent and strood) but they got it from auto air in Gloucester . Only £118 but four bolt holes weren't big enough to take original anti vibration grommets not a problem as I made some rubber washers but I seriously recommend you buy 2 new o rings from land rover as you don't wanna risk them leaking!! £9 for the pair!!!!! Yeah! I bloody know 9 quid! I'm gonna try do a link but newbee as you know so il give you all photos and try to answer any questions . I looked at mine again and you can't see bottom 2 bolts until bumper is off but they are there!! As I say a bit hidden under rubber flaps . Hope all the pictures help cos you guys on here have helped a lot of people including myself. Job took about four hours with photos, visitors fags and coffee but whose counting? Recharged by a mate for £30 now perfect

If a hammer won't fix it.... It's electrical!!

Post #500478 Sat Jul 09 2016 10:06pm
ragpicker

So i thought I'd finish this story off -

Got my new condenser yesterday, because there were no seized bolts to contend with this time the whole procedure took 50 mins from start to finish (not including re-gas).

The procedure is as above - remove grill and lights and bumper, unclip crash sensors and electrical connectors, Remove large T40 bolts from crash barrier (black framed thing), unhook bonnet cable. Remove black crash barrier. Remove 4 a/c condener bolts and 2 p/s cooler bolts. Use air ratchet to remove bolt holding air duct in place. Pull condenser and re-fit.

Due to Rasher's advice I bought an air ratchet which is what made me really stuck the first time. Invaluable bit of advice that - thanks!

Post #501261 Wed Jul 20 2016 9:31am
Rasher 007

Hi ragpicker, just read your final post and pleased to have helped.
I wonder where you sourced the condenser in the end and how much??
40 degrees here in Kent yesterday but me wife and daughter cool as a cucumber
And I hope same for you. Now you've done it, you'd do it again eh? Well done and
Just in time for heatwave If a hammer won't fix it.... It's electrical!!

Post #501373 Thu Jul 21 2016 4:58pm
ragpicker

Hello mate!

Yeah I'd do it again in a flash. Its actually quite an easy job once you've un-siezed a couple of the bolts, found the hidden bolts and figured out how to remove the little bolt/screw holding the nearside bit of the duct in place. Like I said, only 50 mins from start to finish with my old air tools and new air ratchet out!

The intercooler looks an easy job too with it just being in the middle of that rad pack.

In the end I went for this https://www.trillickautoparts.com/item/lr018405/84261

£200 and delivered within 24 hours!

Once I'd finished there was no-where open to re-gas the system so I used a full bottle of the EZ Cool stuff from Halfords (contains 410g refrigerent) and this is working really well until I can get it properly vacuumed and re-gassed.

Thanks again!

Post #501374 Thu Jul 21 2016 5:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1