RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RRS as alternative solo touring accommodation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Rolo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Chawton White
RRS as alternative solo touring accommodation

Hi, here's my first question on this Forum:

My 2011 RRS, Autobigraphy is on its way to me and it'll be with me before the middle of March. I'm buying it off my brother who's purchasing a 2014 replacement. So, I know it's history and mine has just 30,000 miles on it and it's never been off-road. It comes with many extras, Paddles, running boards, front and rear TVs, heated steering wheel, etc, etc.

As I've got a lot of time on my hands, I'm intending to use it for UK/European touring, single occupancy, to support my passion for urban/landscape photography. I'm desparately hoping that I can use the rear as accommodation to enable me to be on location at sunset and sunrise and not concerning myself with looking for campsites, nor B&Bs. I've got a variety of lightweight camping equipment, if needed.

I can't find dimensioned diagrams of the boot area, nor photos of the RRS with under-floor storage. I'd also like to see if there's any storage space under the floor; I'm presuming there's a single floor pan running from front to back with the fuel tank and battery in there, but what else. If anybody can direct me to such info, I'll be grateful. At 6ft tall, I'm anticipating that I'll need to remove the rear passenger seat base for extra length. I acknowledge that a Defender 110 might be better suited to transformation, but the RRS has the edge for me !

Thanks for any info provided.

Gary

Post #489418 Mon Feb 29 2016 3:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Both Hannibal and Howling Moon make roof tents that would suit an RRS and much more comfortable than sleeping curled up in the boot. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #489420 Mon Feb 29 2016 4:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I don't think that you can lay down with the seats folded, though I may be wrong....... Confused

Jim

Post #489423 Mon Feb 29 2016 5:28pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I don't think you will fit easily if you are taller than 5'7"... maybe diagonally and with knees a bit bent you could have a restless night. I have to say the thought of sleeping in my car would fill me with horror!

But at least you will enjoy the drive as the RRS is a great continental mile muncher in my experience.

There is no space underneath - unless you removed your spacesaver spare wheel, but you wouldnt fit much. The space behind front seats and rear seats is also pretty tiny, but you may fit a long thin bag (like the old army kit bags). You would probably need a roofbox if you carry a lot of photographic equipment and sandwiches.

Perhaps you could tow a caravan? Rolling Eyes L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #489430 Mon Feb 29 2016 6:27pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The battery is in the engine compartment. The fuel tank is under the vehicle on the driver's side.

You could mount a false floor over the flattened rear seats and sleep on that. Would be very tight though. You could remove the rear seats fully and make a false floor for storage but the length would be the same and thus short for lying down in.

If you want to sleep inside, a Disco would be better as it's longer and had more vertical room too.

As already said, the best option would be a roof tent. That way you can use the car's interior for secure storage. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #489439 Mon Feb 29 2016 8:14pm
Rolo

Thanks for your responses, although quite disheartening.

The roof tent is not for me as my intention would be to be stealthy and be able to park on car parks, lay-bys, city streets without being noticed. I met a guy who did similar with a VW Caddy and spent 3 months at a time para-gliding in France.

From reviews, it appears that the length with back seats down is 72" and I'm presuming that's from the inside of the tailgate to the base of the upturned seat. My thinking is that with the rear seat base unbolted and removed, another 3" say would be immediately available, but more usefully the back of the front seat could be positioned another 12" forward, say, or lowered to provide an inclined space. However, nobody has suggested this as a possibility and I don't have an RRS to hand and I've searched the web with every phrase I can think of its yielded very little. Strangely, I can't even find a layout drawing for the RRS. Back in the day, one could sleep in the back of a Cortina estate, or a Volvo 940 estate and the RRS appears to be a much larger vehicle, but maybe not.

As the battery is in the engine compartment, what's under the cargo space floor ? I see the extra row of seats (7) retract into the floor. Anybody got a photo ?

I submit that a Defender would make a better expedition vehicle and a VW Transporter 4Motion a better mobile hotel, but I'm committed to finding a solution with the RRS. Was truly hoping it would open up experiences beyond Camping Club sites and Travel Lodges.

Really hoping someone can enlighten me.

Gary

Post #489459 Mon Feb 29 2016 9:02pm
RRSTDV8

The RRS that you are obtaining does not have 7 seats. The new version does and the current and previous Discovery does/did. The space below the cargo floor (I assume you mean boot) has a tool tray which includes the jack. It would be possible to modify this to provide some storage but it would be very limited in capacity.

Click image to enlarge

The rear seat lower cushion can be removed and the front passenger seat motored forward although I don't think it's as much as 12 inches. This would give a longer load bay. You'd have to fit a bit of floor in the gap to give you a bed. A couple of boxes arranged behind the driver's seat would give storage. It would be very "cosy".

As for being stealthy whilst parked on the street, I'm not sure the RRS is stealthy - especially with someone getting ready for bed inside it! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #489502 Mon Feb 29 2016 10:36pm
Rolo

Thanks for your responses. Some hope then. Smile

Can I ask whether the RRS doors can be locked, or programmed to lock, whilst I'm inside AND the bottom tailgate is open ?

Gary

Post #489556 Tue Mar 01 2016 12:41pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

You can lock vehicle then open tailgate while doors remain locked but not lock doors when tailgate already open if that makes sense

Years ago I had a Landcruiser and seats folded flat to make a bed and it had rear heating to use when parked. I know owners who sleep in discos but RRS is not that practical I'm afraid Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #489560 Tue Mar 01 2016 1:01pm
Rolo

"You can lock vehicle then open tailgate while doors remain locked but not lock doors when tailgate already open if that makes sense "

Thanks, Muddy.

Does that mean whilst the car is locked, you can open the full tailgate and climb inside and then lock close the upper tailgate, whilst leaving the bottom tailgate open ? Will the motion sensors not set the alarm off. What I'm thinking here is that the dropped bottom tailgate would offer a foot (?) extra length. A canvas, or fibreglass, box could be fitted to keep the weather out.

Sorry if I'm being persistant on this, but I was really looking forward to this oportunity to enhance my travels by not having the bother of searching for accomodation. I photograph into the dark hours and travelling back to a campsite can mean a 50 mile trip to find gates locked, fuel consumed, neighbours asleep etc. Then another 50 miles to continue the journey from where I left off the night before. Whereas if I stay near/at the night location, I can shoot the sunrise at 4am and be back in my sleeping bag for a late lay in. Half the mileage, half the travel time; twice the activity. In Scotland I can put a tent up and camp wild, but not so in Paris, or Seville. Smile

Gary

Post #489563 Tue Mar 01 2016 1:33pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Pressing lock once will ensure motion sensor is not armed so you can move around inside without fear

LR sold a day tent that fitted over tailgate which would be good for your needs perhaps

Security would be a concern for me if tailgate was open while asleep though as I think you run risk of carjacking

http://accessories.landrover.com/gl/en/dis...-main-pod/ Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #489565 Tue Mar 01 2016 1:41pm
Rolo

Security is obviously an issue, but I'm not thinking of having the upper section of the tailgate open, or even unlocked/tied, and the bottom section would be covered in some fashion by tent fabric, plywood, or aluminium. Obviously this is a last resort, as I'd rather be locked in the RRS and completely hidden from prying eyes.

A photographer friend of mine has just spent 2 weeks living in a rented Discovery in Iceland; another, a couple, 4 weeks in Tuscany in a 20 year old VW Transporter. In the photo circles I'm in, people do this all the time, many in small and unsuitable cars.

In your part of the world, I might be touring the coast from Robin Hoods Bay up to Berwick on Tweed and find myself overnighting at Whitby Abbey, or Staithes, say. I don't think anybody is likely to point a gun at me there - famous last words ! Neutral) Similarly in Brittany, or the Pyrenees. The RRS is perfect for the driving needs; just need to extend the chassis. Ha.

Post #489568 Tue Mar 01 2016 2:05pm
RRSTDV8

Quote:
The RRS is perfect for the driving needs; just need to extend the chassis.

Land Rover already did that; it's called Discovery. Whistle

Seriously, rather than buy the RRS, buy a Disco commercial. Nice flat load bed that is long enough to sleep in. Cheaper too so you'd have money for the inevitable bills. Thumbs Up

Anyway, as I'm currently sat in my RRS I've just measured it for you. With the passenger seat fully forwards with the back rest fully forward, you get about 80 inches of load bay length. Head room from the load bay formed by the back seats is about 35 inches. There is enough room to lie down but it won't be roomy. Obviously you'd have to remove the rear seat base to make it work. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #489574 Tue Mar 01 2016 2:58pm
Rolo

RRSTDV8,
That's brilliant. Thanks very much for your trouble.

At 80" it seems to be perfect to get by with me being 72" tall. I won't miss the seat base on solo trips and I can travel with the bedroom in situ. Smile Not sure if it will be feet forward, or head forward, but I'll sort that out when it arrives.

I accept there are more suitable vehicles out there, with an American mobile home being the leading choice. I've been contemplating a Transporter for a long time, but couldn't come to terms with the driving comforts as I'm transferring from a current edition BMW 530D. A Discovery probably would be more suitable than an RRS and a Defender has it's attractions, but I'm not going into Africa. I'm sure the RRS will surpass all of my driving demands and will provide a better vehicle for tenting.

For the condition and features, my RRS is at a good price. In the last 3 years, it's only been out of Greater Manchester twice and the furthest it's been is Kendal for a day.

So, really pleased with your info.

Cheers,

Gary

Post #489578 Tue Mar 01 2016 3:53pm
RRSTDV8

Three years of short journeys? Not sure that's a good thing really... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #489591 Tue Mar 01 2016 5:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>