RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RRS as alternative solo touring accommodation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

DrRob

United Kingdom 

Any more progress and piccies? Intrigued by this Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #491621 Wed Mar 23 2016 9:53pm
Rolo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Chawton White

Dr Rob,
Job is now finished and all photos in the gallery.

Option is to provide sleeping accommodation for two, or for one complete with a 41 litre fridge.

What's become apparent is that the tied down boot unit provides very secure storage for valuables as access is only possible from the tailgate and double-locking prevents that from opening. An opportunity thief can smash a window, but can't steal what's in the drawers.

Boot unit will be in place forever and are kept in place by plastic ties. The rear passenger seat units can be removed in a matter of seconds. The two loops and karabiners are to attach to luggage, such as my camera bag, chair, or whatever.

BTW that's an Exped Megamat 10 XLW which is 77.6" x 30.3" x 4" and there's room to spare in the length. I'm 6ft tall and it's spacious.

I'm pleased with the way it's turned out. Smile

Gary

Last edited by Rolo on Tue Apr 05 2016 1:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #492767 Tue Apr 05 2016 1:09pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What do you do if you get a flat tyre? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #492772 Tue Apr 05 2016 1:25pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Step 1: get out of bed.
Step 2: put the kettle on.
Step 3: call the breakdown services.

Rolling with laughter L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #492774 Tue Apr 05 2016 1:31pm
Rolo

Flat tyre ?

Call Green Flag and cut the rear tie wraps; remove the rear unit and access as normally. Two drawers can be removed in 20 seconds and the whole boot unit can be on the floor, or on the front storage lockers in less than two minutes.

I have taken the precaution of removing the locking nut and placing it in front of the car as at least half of the few punctures I've suffered have gone straight to a tyre fitting bay.

I carry a Ring 12v tyre compressor (£18 from Amazon) that will buy time for all but a blow-out.

Gary

Post #492775 Tue Apr 05 2016 1:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #492785 Tue Apr 05 2016 2:43pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

That Sir, is a work of art Thumbs Up
Now, how much to make more for forum members? Whistle Whistle Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #492918 Wed Apr 06 2016 9:40am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Next job then is one of these http://www.dormobile.co.uk/conversions.html 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #492919 Wed Apr 06 2016 9:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rolo

DrRob wrote:
That Sir, is a work of art Thumbs Up
Now, how much to make more for forum members? Whistle Whistle

Based on the price for just a boxed drawer of £895, I reckon more than anyone would want to pay. Smile

Gary

Post #493916 Tue Apr 19 2016 10:00am
Rolo

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Next job then is one of these http://www.dormobile.co.uk/conversions.html

Keep wondering if I dare cut through the roof, not ! Ha.

Gary

Post #493917 Tue Apr 19 2016 10:02am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Rolo wrote:
I have taken the precaution of removing the locking nut and placing it in front of the car as at least half of the few punctures I've suffered have gone straight to a tyre fitting bay.

Suggest you bin the lockers anyway - they split and leave you in the proverbial excrement... Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #493918 Tue Apr 19 2016 10:21am
Rolo

Returned yesterday from my first solo trip, 12 days in the Outer Hebrides, Harris and Lewis. All was exactly as expected with few surprises. Minor changes needed to the gear I took, but not to the installation. Great success.

Range Rover Sport was great to drive and gave comfort and security overnight. My sleeping mat is an Exped Megamat 10 LXW, which might be the biggest and most comfortable on the market And was especially purchased for this camper. At 6ft, I did prefer to move the front passenger seat forward for a few extra inches, but pushed it back during the day, sometimes. I'd regularly sleep through until past 8am. Headroom was fine.

I've been an avid small tent camper, in saloon cars and motorcycles, for several decades and this new solution has many, many advantages in comparison: Little time wasted in looking for overnight locations; no set up time; confidence and security of gear (valuables kept in the drawers would be almost impossible for a theif to access as they'd have to get the tailgate open); parking spots are so easy to access compared to cars and mobile homes; the drawer system made brewing and cooking so easy. I was asked by dozens of people where I was staying and not one had suspected I was sleeping in the Range Rover Sport. I even pointed to "my camper" once when asked where I was staying and the lady said"you've got another vehicle on the island?". Smile

I was invited into a couple of mobile homes for a coffee and yes, they are luxurious by comparison with showers and sinks .... etc and especially the ability to sit round and chat when it was snowing outside and blowing a gale.

Disappointments ? Mainly only the info panel telling me the battery power was low. I've not got a purpose made aux battery container, but I'll investigate how to get more power on board. The satNav was not as good as my superb previous BMW installation. So few places named, but I got around that by using the 'map'. Still need to work out how to set coordinates. My fridge was very good, but until the weather heats up, I'll probably take the extra locker instead.

So, all in all a fine way of touring and I look forward to some continental trips.

Gary

Post #493923 Tue Apr 19 2016 10:49am
CornishRob

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Gary,
Ooo.. that looks excellent, and love that you are already out there using it. One thing I'd ask your opinion on is a fridge. I'm off over the Pyrenees in July, so I keep thinking about buying a fridge (not one of those noisy cooler things) for use during the day. We will be staying in hotels during the night, Embarassed , (I know, but I have my wife with me ), so only need it to keep supplies cool during the day.
There seem to be a number of absorption coolers that run from 12v, mains, or a gas canister, like this that I was considering.
http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/dometic-co...ridge-4017

Post #494082 Thu Apr 21 2016 1:11pm
Rolo

Rob,
That's the exact one I'm using; the Dometic RC2200. I bought mine from Amazon Warehouse at less than £200.

You can see it installed on the two photos here. I charged it overnight before I left for the trip and then charged it on 12v most days using the socket nearest the SatNav screen to assist in not forgetting it was plugged in. It runs silently. At 41 litres capacity it's very spacious and easily accommodated all my supplies including 4.5L of water, 5 pints of milk,bread, chocolate, biscuits, bag of apples, oranges etc. I use the Platypus water containers as they stand tall and have a small footprint.

Placed on the seat, as shown, it is very secure. Bear in mind that to do this the seat base has to be removed with is 3 small bolts.

Post #494083 Thu Apr 21 2016 1:29pm
CornishRob

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Ah, OK Laughing

I'll be putting mine, or something like it in the boot space on the left hand side next to the rear 12v power outlet, so I need to check that it'll fit there. It might be a bit big for this trip, So I'd better check that I can get everything else in the boot as well as this.

Post #494086 Thu Apr 21 2016 2:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>