RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RRS as alternative solo touring accommodation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

CornishRob

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Hi !

I'd like to encourage you not to give up on your quest of using the RRS in your planned trips. If we all took the obvious route (or well traveled), then we'd be just be clones. (I'm not trying to disparage any of the previous comments about more sensible options Embarassed ).

One of the reasons I bought mine was for overland travel. Having grown up with the more usual Series/Defender, and the usual noisy and not very comfortable ride, there was no way I was going to drive around Europe in one. And as soon I test drove the RRS I knew it was the right vehicle for long distances, so I came from the other direction, and am slowly adapting it, (though I'm not sleeping in it !).

To be specific on some of your questions, I was looking at a new tent the other day and noticed that you can get extensions for normal tents that allow a larger sitting area. It struck me at the time that they look like they would easily fit over the back of my RRS, kind of like the Oz tent.
I'd love a roof tent, but at £1200 for the roof rack and another £1200 for the tent ....

Post #490375 Tue Mar 08 2016 3:19pm
Rolo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Chawton White

Thanks for that Rob.
I am now in possession of my Range Rover Sport and am developing the sleeping arrangements. There's oceans of room.

Currently, I'm finishing off the woodwork for the the 2 drawer system located in the boot. That will take all of my camping accessories, pots, pans, cutlery tray, food, cookers- including a 240v induction hob. Everything will be in chubby holes within the drawers. So, zero on show.

I've now temporarily removed the near side seat pan which gives more than enough length. It's surprising how much space that opens up. I intend to accommodate a mountain quality tent in there, spare boots, coats valuable camera gear, plus emergency gear etc.

Tomorrow I'll commence on the box/drawer system for the area forward of the boot to the rear of the passenger seat. This will then provide a massive amount of storage space for clothes, etc. I intend to remove this between trips and re-fit the seat pan. Reckon it will be re-configured in 10 minutes. When I'm travelling only my camera bag, sleeping bag and Thermarest mat will be on show. Plan to finish it all off in matching black carpet.

For regular camping, I have a Karsten 200 pneumatic tent with porch awning. Using the 12v output in the boot to drive an RAC compressor, I can have the tent fully erected in less tha 5 minutes. Amazingly sturdy, this thing will withstand a force 12 gale. It is well suited to fit on a roof rack, but have to say that's of no interest to me.

Gary

Post #490391 Tue Mar 08 2016 6:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Off Topic Pedant hat is on ................... Force 8 is a gale, Force 12 a hurricane............. Doubt your tent would withstand a Force 12............... Wink But I know what you mean, your tent is built like a brick outhouse! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #490401 Tue Mar 08 2016 6:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rolo

Tim, I'm just repeating the manufacture's claims. Tbh, I'd be gone by Force 11. Smile

It is heavy, about 20 kilos, plus pump, plus Range Rover Sport ! My mountain tent weighs less than 5 kilo incl poles and pegs. Lovely tent indeed and fabulous once inside.

Beauty is, for a quick overnighter in kinder weather, the Karsten only needs 4 pegs to set it.

Some might think that an Range Rover Sport is not ideal for my purpose, but I think it's going to be life enhancing. Smile

Post #490406 Tue Mar 08 2016 7:25pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your interior system... Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #490414 Tue Mar 08 2016 8:22pm
CornishRob

Wow, I admire your "just do it" attitude, and that all the kit is removable, should you need to use it for "normal" car duties.
My RRS is in much the same mold, most of the time it looks like the usual standard Sport, but it only takes half a day to swap wheels, add the roof rack, and fill the boot with camping kit, and it's ready. Thumbs Up

We're off to the Pyrenees in the summer, though I had to bribe my wife by stopping in hotels Laughing which road we take between hotels, is a completely different matter, hence the all-terrain tyres Very Happy

Post #490435 Wed Mar 09 2016 8:10am
Rolo

Golden rule is don't damage the car ! Smile

Had to rethink design (?) to ensure easy access to spare wheel ratchet. Not a simple solution at the roadside, but hopefully it'll be a rare occurrence.

Storage above & below rear seats is extremely spacious, but the rear door opening is surprisingly restricted because of door opening angle and will not allow a drawer system. Consequently, it'll be a lift-off cover with pigeon holes below, the biggest of which will accept a 30"x20" oil-filled radiator I have to hand. Not sure if I need underfloor heating (Ha!), but maybe if I park on a camping site, or a French Aire, I could plug into a mains supply. May never be installed, but the option will be available.

I've been asked whether I should have bought a Transit van ! That was someone who uses his for the equivalent of a school run and absolutely nothing else - he's never done more than a 100 mile trip in his. I wonder if others feel the same and it's just a fashion statement at best ? My wife is appalled that I've removed one rear passenger seat base (temporarily), but I feel fully justified in turning my Range Rover Sport into an adventure vehicle. I'd absolutely love to tour Iceland for a month in it - maybe the ferry is less than car hire. Here we go ..... Smile

Post #490469 Wed Mar 09 2016 12:19pm
RRSTDV8

Making a CamperRRS Cool is something I've thought about because the cost of a roof rack and roof tent etc. is pretty high for the occasional trip. Making a one-man bed vehicle does makes sense. I'd never measured the load bed with seat forward etc. so assumed it was too short. You've got me thinking now. Photos please! Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #490490 Wed Mar 09 2016 7:48pm
Rolo

With the rear passenger seat base out there's enough length for me and I'm 6 feet tall. More room is available if the front passenger seat is set further forward, but I'm trying to keep it as an alternative day seat in best position.

Total cost of wood is £100, so this is not a high risk project and it offers potentional accommodation & fuel savings. I'd like to find some black carpet, 3m X 1m. In addition, I've ordered today a pair of black tint, Clima rear wind deflectors for the rear, for ventilation, without incoming rain and nosy parkers.

Last year, after very hot nights under canvas in France, I bought a 12v shower extractor fan, as used on boats. Fits in the palm of one hand, almost. Added a switched 12v plug and extension lead off eBay, so it can feed off the car and change the air in the car several times a minute, stopping condensation. Cost about £35, plus switch. Not sure if the Range Rover Sport electronics will shut it down.

Check out Www.wildcamping.co.uk. It's for vehicles, not tents. Lists thousands of useful facilities in UK and France.

Gary

Post #490494 Wed Mar 09 2016 8:41pm
RRSTDV8

It would seem to be prudent to consider an auxiliary battery to run your odds and sods. Protects the main battery and the RRS is actually designed to have one fitted. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #490503 Wed Mar 09 2016 9:59pm
Rolo

Wasn't aware of that and don't know how integrated it is. Any clues ?

Gary

Post #490510 Wed Mar 09 2016 11:11pm
RRSTDV8

Traxide (an Aussie company) do a well regarded system. There are others. It's worth having a search on Disco3 as they are much more in to modifying their vehicles for camping etc.

The auxiliary battery sits in the spare battery box in front of the driver - it's the big empty space in front of the brake servo Whistle . There is even a set of threaded clamp bosses in the base of the box just as in the main battery box. The D4 has slightly different bits in that area I believe but I think the facelifted RRS that you have should be the same as the D3 and pre-facelift RRS. Easy enough to lift the bonnet and check. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #490521 Thu Mar 10 2016 10:40am
CornishRob

Quote:
Protects the main battery and the RRS is actually designed to have one fitted.

Wow, I didn't know that, Thumbs Up Landrover. Although they come in for some criticism for some of the things they do, fitting a space for an extra battery on their premium product, is not something just about any other manufacturer would do. Bow down

Post #490588 Fri Mar 11 2016 7:56am
Rolo

Made some progress since my last post. Woodwork is finished. Need to stain and buy and fit a black carpet.

Boot area is intended to be a permanent configuration. This will be sufficient for tent camping trips.

Rear passenger seat area will be installed and removed around longer trips when sleeping in the RRS might be more appropriate and always a good failsafe for locations with no available accommodation.

Here's some photos, prior to carpeting. You can observe how I have ensured there are no sharp corners/edges and that is no resting on, nor rubbing of leather materials. Click on Gallery below to view. Last should be first.

Hope this is of interest to a few. Smile

Gary

Post #490807 Sun Mar 13 2016 8:14pm
CornishRob

I like it. As you say, it looks like an hour or two would have it back to normal.

Your woodworking skills make it look good, too. Bow down What are you intending to do for food storage, ie fridge/coolbox ?
I've been looking at absorption coolers, they can run from +12V, mains or gas, and are portable, basically a big coolbox. I need something for our trip around the Pyrenees in the summer, as I don't know how readily available fresh food will be during the day.

Post #491015 Tue Mar 15 2016 8:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>