RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 dislikes? What drives you bonkers on your new 494....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Farmer Chalk

L494 dislikes? What drives you bonkers on your new 494....

Stunning car but there a growing number of issues that I'm starting to rant about....what issues do current L 494 owners need to raise with JLR to design out on the facelift model....

These niggles are things which I would love changed about my car.....

1. No place to put my mobile or loose change.... There is no ashtray and my sliding door on my centre console has been scratched to pieces by the previous owner...

2. The plastics on the side panels and kick panels are really cheap quality plastic. Mine have scratched really easily where I have used the Hoover nozzle down the side of the seats...

3. The fuel tank bonk at low speed manoeuvres....

4. After washing The car the incessant drips that leave behind run marks from the front wing grills and the door mirrors.

5. The too aggressive stop start which kicks in miles too early.

6. The intermittent locking using the door handle sender to lock it... Spend hours with it locking /unlocking when I want it to do the opposite.

7. The lack of any boot storage drawers or bins. You open the boot using the electric release and the contents of your boot fall on the floor.

8. The little catch on the boot floor which is made out of cheap plastic which amputates your dogs toes...

9. Lack of a normal dipstick.

10. The ridiculous design of the central fridge lid which means you have to be a gynaecologist to get in there and when you do the bits on the cover tray fall down the side of the seats...

11. The need for a ten year old to be able to get their hand down to the fuse box to pull or insert fuses. Forget it if your an adult!

12. The smear of the offside wiper right in your line of vision where it jumps off the screen and leaves a smear instead!
Other than that I love it!
What irritates you about yours?

Post #468135 Mon Jul 20 2015 11:17pm
rigsby

England 

So far.... Just the long wait to delivery Big Cry MY16 AUTOBIOGRAPHY Indus silver with some toys

2012 3.0 SDV6 Luxury gone, but a great motor

Post #468149 Tue Jul 21 2015 7:31am
ExpatPom

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Fuji White

7 - bought one of these: http://accessories.landrover.com/au/en/ran...e-carrier/
12 - just replaced under warranty by LR replacing the wiper blade.

Very happy with mine otherwise Very Happy MY15.5 Fuji White, SDV8 HSE Dyn Stealth Pack
Gone: MY14 Fuji White, 3.0 TDV6 SE
Gone: MY10 Stornoway Grey, 3.0 TDV6

Post #468160 Tue Jul 21 2015 9:31am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Re: L494 dislikes? What drives you bonkers on your new 494..

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Stunning car but there a growing number of issues that I'm starting to rant about....what issues do current L 494 owners need to raise with JLR to design out on the facelift model....

These niggles are things which I would love changed about my car.....

1. No place to put my mobile or loose change.... There is no ashtray and my sliding door on my centre console has been scratched to pieces by the previous owner...

2. The plastics on the side panels and kick panels are really cheap quality plastic. Mine have scratched really easily where I have used the Hoover nozzle down the side of the seats...

3. The fuel tank bonk at low speed manoeuvres....

4. After washing The car the incessant drips that leave behind run marks from the front wing grills and the door mirrors.

5. The too aggressive stop start which kicks in miles too early.

6. The intermittent locking using the door handle sender to lock it... Spend hours with it locking /unlocking when I want it to do the opposite.

7. The lack of any boot storage drawers or bins. You open the boot using the electric release and the contents of your boot fall on the floor.

8. The little catch on the boot floor which is made out of cheap plastic which amputates your dogs toes...

9. Lack of a normal dipstick.

10. The ridiculous design of the central fridge lid which means you have to be a gynaecologist to get in there and when you do the bits on the cover tray fall down the side of the seats...

11. The need for a ten year old to be able to get their hand down to the fuse box to pull or insert fuses. Forget it if your an adult!

12. The smear of the offside wiper right in your line of vision where it jumps off the screen and leaves a smear instead!
Other than that I love it!
What irritates you about yours?

No such issues with my MY12 RRS. Thumbs Up
If i had that many gripes about my motor, it would be going. It sounds like it is spoiling your ownership of the car. Sad

Post #468167 Tue Jul 21 2015 11:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

No it doesn't because it's still an outstanding car....it does rewrite the handling of a large 4x4 but all of those things relate to issues of practicality on a day to day basis...

They just need to consider them moving forward! Very Happy

Post #468180 Tue Jul 21 2015 1:24pm
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Heated seats switch....... Evil or Very Mad
Now changed on latest models??

Post #468182 Tue Jul 21 2015 1:29pm
kljw

Scotland 

The fact that it has spent the last 4/5 weeks being repaired?

Post #468191 Tue Jul 21 2015 4:34pm
mcgroa

Agree The windscreen smear right in front of eyes is bloody annoying

Agree The auto start stop that just decides to turn everything off mid reverse manuever

The rear wash wipe that always has big drip lines once it stops wiping

Agree lack of Cuby storage and same in boot. Nowhere to put ANYTHING like first aid kit, rug, hivis etc

Cup holder grips that come out with the cup

Seat Memory not tied to keys.

Fuel tank slop. But you can get that fixed under warranty.

Post #468215 Tue Jul 21 2015 9:41pm
kljw

Scotland 

I'm not that only one t have the smear, thought this was the wiper blade, but appears to be on other vehicles as well.

Post #468235 Wed Jul 22 2015 11:08am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Lovin' mine... Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #468243 Wed Jul 22 2015 12:16pm
rangiejools

Australia 

Love mine but still got the smear! Lack of storage is a bit of pain but not a deal breaker for me....slow infotainment system a bit of a nuisance. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #468250 Wed Jul 22 2015 1:46pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Mobile phone can be kept under the Nav screen near the sliding door for the cup holders there is a little panel hiding under there to keep a phone. Anyhow I use this and it works a treat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenu-Airframe-Port...B00D901B4W

Post #468274 Wed Jul 22 2015 8:45pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

My phone sits next to the iPod on the tray in the centre box; the iPod plugged into the USB and the phone into the InControl port. 

Post #468276 Wed Jul 22 2015 8:51pm
Steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

At the minute, just the fact it won't be here until the end of October Sad Still, it gives me something to look forward to Smile Swmbo is not happy because I said that I'll need two days a week so she has to drive the Volvo to work on those days ! To quote that big insurance advert from a few years back : ""There could be trouble ahead" Rolling with laughter MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
My15 Volvo V70 Some bronze type colour
My02 D2 off road project in a scratched black
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair Wink
2 large GSDs called Abbs & Bailey

Post #468295 Thu Jul 23 2015 5:39am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Here's my list

1. The touch screen infotainment display is hopeless. Too slow to fire up and too slow to respond and IMHO touch screen technology has no place in a moving vehicle
2. Delay in throttle response at slow speed. Even though I've had my engine remapped by DMS which has improved the situation slightly I hate that hesitation as, say, you approach a roundabout at slow speed and want to pull out into fast moving traffic. To be fair this seems to be a characteristic of the ZF box because I've experienced this on other cars with the same box
3. Why do I have to go in to the infotainment system to switch the heated seats on?
4. Boot too small for such a large vehicle and as already mentioned no cubby hole storage space in boot for odds and ends (as there was on my L322 FFRR)
5. No sunglasses holder (as there was on my L322)
6. Again as already mentioned, stop/start system is too aggressive and sometimes my car just stops and doesn't restart when changing from Drive to Reverse gear. I've got into the habit of switching the bloody thing off whenever I drive the car
7. The way water keeps dripping out of the tailgate frame long after you've washed the car or after rain

Before anyone suggests that I should have bought another car, I am generally super critical of any car that I own and actually overall I like my RRS a lot and its easily the best in its class (despite its silly price)
[/list]

Post #468430 Fri Jul 24 2015 1:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>