RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 dislikes? What drives you bonkers on your new 494....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

iainm

United Kingdom 

My niggles since March 30th and 6500miles

1. Horrible turbo lag when at roundabouts - real pain in the A$$ - never had that issue my previous 4.0d X5; its starting to get to the point where I want to get rid

2. Gear changes when overtaking - car always seems to get the wrong gear -especially on the motorway from 75, 80 if you want to pass anything

3. keyless - I have to almost hump the car with the key in my pocket to get the thing to lock

4. DAB loses reception - with regular monotony!! in the middle of Cardiff City - just drops off then a minute or so later comes back on.

5. Speed limit display on the screen and HUD - doesn't pick up minor roads, as my X5 used too!! just the usual --- lines on it

Vent over - Very Happy

On the plus side, its averaging nearly 40mpg!

Post #468526 Sat Jul 25 2015 3:07pm
robbo770

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

mikef wrote:
Here's my list

1. The touch screen infotainment display is hopeless. Too slow to fire up and too slow to respond and IMHO touch screen technology has no place in a moving vehicle
2. Delay in throttle response at slow speed. Even though I've had my engine remapped by DMS which has improved the situation slightly I hate that hesitation as, say, you approach a roundabout at slow speed and want to pull out into fast moving traffic. To be fair this seems to be a characteristic of the ZF box because I've experienced this on other cars with the same box
3. Why do I have to go in to the infotainment system to switch the heated seats on?
4. Boot too small for such a large vehicle and as already mentioned no cubby hole storage space in boot for odds and ends (as there was on my L322 FFRR)
5. No sunglasses holder (as there was on my L322)
6. Again as already mentioned, stop/start system is too aggressive and sometimes my car just stops and doesn't restart when changing from Drive to Reverse gear. I've got into the habit of switching the bloody thing off whenever I drive the car
7. The way water keeps dripping out of the tailgate frame long after you've washed the car or after rain

Before anyone suggests that I should have bought another car, I am generally super critical of any car that I own and actually overall I like my RRS a lot and its easily the best in its class (despite its silly price)
[/list]

Number 2 is actual a fault!!, as my car does this and has a gearbox reluctance to change down a gear,

Land Rover still trying to fix it, 5 weeks in garage!! The FFRR I have currently with the same engine and gearbox has no issues at all Rolling Eyes

Number 1 also a fault as the same system in the FFRR and it is much quicker and responds instantly.

Number 7 is because they made it all from plastic and bonded the two half together, not enough clears for water flow, and water sticks to rough finished plastic much more than metal due to the surface porosity.

All in the cars in some ways are getting cheap, but much better in others, loosing the will to stay will LR week by week currently as still no resolve on my situation due to stupid dealer! None currently

Gone
rejected RRS autobi Dynamic MY14.5 (Peter Vardy 👎)
D3 XXV full conversion
4.2 SC FFRR
4.4 FFRR
Freelander 1

Post #468580 Sun Jul 26 2015 6:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikef

United Kingdom 

Has anyone had numbers 1 and 2 successfully fixed?

Post #468649 Sun Jul 26 2015 8:27pm
gary3306

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

The thing that really P's me off big time about the 494, is the fact that I can't afford one yet Big Cry

Post #474255 Fri Sep 25 2015 9:05pm
GJW1

United Kingdom 

2. Robbo i guess this fault is not picked up by the computers Land Rover have ? I have this issue aswell as the one in the post I started.

3. My16 has sorted this now on the temp control buttons.

6. Can't say I've had this problem I think it's much better than on a Audi q3 actually.

Post #474269 Sat Sep 26 2015 12:29am
GJW1

United Kingdom 

mikef wrote:
Has anyone had numbers 1 and 2 successfully fixed?

My car is going in for gearbox recaliberation for continuing transmition gremlins if it works I'll let you know.

Post #474525 Sun Sep 27 2015 9:06pm
Screenwipe

United Kingdom 

1. Infotainment system is really dreadful. My 5 year old X5 which I sold was infinitely easier to use and much better quality graphics. I've seen the argument that if you want great infotainment, you don't buy an rrs, but it's nonsense. I'm not buying an rrs to go off road. I know that, you probably know that and most relevant of all, Land Rover know that. I'm paying a lot of money, the year is 2015; I should be getting something whose graphical appeal is better than that tank game you got free with your Atari. I gather the rear view cameras in my my16 are improved. Oh my god, how bad were they before?

2. USB movies plugged into the front can't be shown in the back. That is such stupid, stupid, thoughtless bad design and my dealer advise me right up to one week before delivery that it wasn't going to be a problem. Although I've cracked it now, figuring out how to get movies that worked onto USB was a ridiculous ordeal.

3. Parallel Park assist. It's a gimmick the kids love but day 2 it took me into a kerb and scraped my alloy. Other times I've been luckier and it's taken me up and onto the kerb or left me half way out in the middle of the road. Or just not worked. You absolutely cannot rely upon it and my advice to anyone considering paying for it is don't bother.

4. Ambient lighting. It came standard on my AB. HSE buyers, do not bother with it.

5. Rear windows don't open all the way down.

6. Cooling seats play havoc with your ageing father's mild incontinence. Be careful. Get them. But be careful.

7. I'm hoping it's just that I am not used to it yet, but I don't find the keyless locking particularly slick. I have yet to walk away without getting the fob out and pushing lock a few times before I feel happy it's fully secured.

8. The rear headphones I naively assumed would be Bluetooth but are (I think) infra red. That's all fine when everyone's sat and watching and things are working. But when you have a 3 year old handing you headphones that "don't work" you can't check their assertion from the front because your infra red is no longer connected. Minor, I know. But the rear media system cost me 1500 quid. Come on.

9. Echoing others, the cool box lid is ridiculous, and the general lack of strange options from front to boot is disappointing.

Actve cruise control is absolutely fantastic and the car overall is lovely. I wouldn't have bothered writing this if it wasn't for the crap infotainment as the others are minor or my own silly fault. I understand improvements are on their way for the infotainment and I really hope though doubt very much that Land Rover will aoffer an upgrade solution for us Atari guys.

Post #475445 Tue Oct 06 2015 9:38am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Some of mine are:

- The shape of wing mirrors. They are a lot less high at the outer edge than the inner edge. I adjust mine as outwards as possible to increase the viewing area while still being able to see "a hint" of the rear door handle so I am aware of my own car too. Still on a couple of occasions I came frighteningly close to other cars when changing lanes and they were changing lanes too. It is hard to explain but happens when, say, I am changing from lane 3 to 2 and the other car is changing from 1 to 2. I have blind spot monitoring and closing vehicle sensing but it normally detects cars in the lane next to you only and not more lanes apart. So you can't see it in the mirror and blind spot monitor doesn't detect it either until it is too late. Old shape had big, rectangular wing mirrors and offered a much better and safer view due to the top outer corner IMHO.

- The viewing area through the rear glass is significantly reduced compared to the previous model and it is not just due to the rear headrests but more to do with the shape.

- Not a major issue but I find accessing the front door storage compartments ridiculously difficult when sat in the seat with doors closed. It used to be very easy in the old shape. They have either reduced the gap between seat and door or raised the storage compartment walls (or both) and it has become too tight. Even my wife struggles and she is very thin.

I know I keep comparing to my previous car but it is hard not to. By the way it does many things a lot better than the previous car too and it is definitely a step forward as a whole. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #475448 Tue Oct 06 2015 10:18am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

So far on my 2015MY build in March I have three niggles:
1) The electronic dipstick - totally useless and unreliable. For months it has sat firmly on the 10/10th mark then after a long run it registered 8/10ths (which I was expecting after 4000 miles and previous RRS's oil consumption) then after another long run and parked on my level drive it registered 10/10ths again and now fluctates all the time even when parked in the same place on my drive. I check the oil 1st thing in the morning weekly after the car has sat on the level all night - why does it fluctuate so much when the car has been stopped so long?

2) The centre headrestraint on the rear seat cannot be dropped low enough to prevent it obscuring part of the rear view mirror - on all my previous Range Rovers I have been able to drop it down either by pushing it into the cut out of the seat back or by folding down the centre arm rest which caused it to retract.

3) Why oh why did LR change the way the rear seat folds - the old way the squab lifted to create a hard barrier to stop items sliding forward when the seats were folded but also the seat backs folded into the space where the squab had been to create a totally flat loadspace, also the cargo lashing points are all but useless for most loads as when the rear seat is lowered you can only lash down the bit in the old boot. Also in the Mk1 RRS there were two very useful stowage areas in the wells under the rear seat squab that now cannot be accessed, I used to keep my recovery strop and various wet weather clothing under there in my older cars, now they have to slide around in a box in the boot.

Otherwise I happy - at least the car doesn't have numerous rattles and squeaks unlike my last Halewood built product. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #475449 Tue Oct 06 2015 10:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hedders007

Hi Tim,

Ref the oil level check, the manual states that the oil must have reached operating temperature then left to settle for ten minutes before reading.

Hope that helps you get more constant readings!

H.

Post #475496 Tue Oct 06 2015 4:51pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thanks, suppsoe I should have "RTFM"............. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #475506 Tue Oct 06 2015 6:12pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Niggles after 125 miles !
1. external pillar plastics showing many micro scratches and i have only washed it once and that was with snow foam and no wiping!. so no cloth contact.
2. Poor drivers side car mat protection design.. carpet getting hammered as no mat protection.
3. No where to place or stow loose coin.
4. Poor leather finish to seats and other trim areas compared to 2013 model.
5. Turbo lag on pull away, worse than previous model. Will see if this improves as engine loosens.
6. Rear panel fit/movement.
7. Rear seat fold up design to extended load area.. does not fold flat
8. Rear luggage area..poor compared to previous model.

I am pleased i did not purchase the AB now.. D4 2012 Santorini Black gone
RRS 2013 Santorini HSE Black gone
MY2016 RRS HSE Dynamic arrived September, but will it stay.. maybe not.

Post #475639 Wed Oct 07 2015 4:20pm
Autobiography

The leather quality is noticeably better on Autobiography derivatives vs HSE derivatives IMHO.

Post #475648 Wed Oct 07 2015 6:54pm
bluestone

United Kingdom 

It's such a fantastic car, but for the 70k price tag there is no excuse for such a poor infotainment system.

It can be embarrassingly ostentatious, but I can't blame LR for that. I do find it awkward turning up to work in it.

Other than that however no complaints so far. MY16 (65) RRS, HSE, White, 21" 507s, Pan/Black Roof, 7 Seats, Ebony/Cirrus, Surround Cams, Fully Color Coded

Post #475662 Wed Oct 07 2015 7:59pm
iainm

United Kingdom 

[quote
5. Turbo lag on pull away, worse than previous model. Will see if this improves as engine loosens.
..[/quote]

Had this on mine - drove me nuts - its a quick fix that Strastone knew about; brake and accelerator cannot be used at the same time; what was happening is the brake was not releasing once accelerator was pressed; only a split second or two, but enough to make the car do sod all for a couple of secs when trying to pull away at roundabouts etc. They adjusted something on the brake and hey presto- no turbo lag anymore.....

Just have to sort the oil leaks now.... Big Cry

Post #475707 Thu Oct 08 2015 7:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>