Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > What is this wire?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ansariwn

United Kingdom 
What is this wire?

Hi,

I have a Range Rover Sports 2018 (L494). Today I saw a wire dangling under the car next to the front passenger side wheel. Can anyone please tell me what is this wire for and how to fix it? Please see the attached picture

Post #616083 Sat Jul 24 2021 1:38am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Have you had brake pads changed recently? being n/s/f wheel could be broken pad wear sensor wire, although thought that might throw a warning light up if it is.

Cheers
Col

Post #616084 Sat Jul 24 2021 3:33am
ansariwn

United Kingdom 

Hi, the break pad worn warning light has been ON for the last 3 weeks and the vehicle is booked for repairs on 11 August.
It is just last week I changed the alloys on the vehicle and was concerned if this is the result of that replacement. Do you think this wire is related to break pads?

Post #616094 Sat Jul 24 2021 11:40am
Col

Yes I think it's the pad wear sensor wire, may have broken it when changing wheels, but if lights been on prior to changing wheels did you actualy check them when you changed the wheels?

Cheers
Col

Post #616095 Sat Jul 24 2021 11:50am
ansariwn

United Kingdom 

No, I didn’t check the break pads when the wheels were being replaced. However, the dealership told me that the front pads have 5mm thickness and the back pads have 6mm thickness before they sold it to me in June.
Is it possible for me to reconnect this wire? Any videos? Or shall I leave it for the dealership to fix in August?

Thanks.

Post #616097 Sat Jul 24 2021 12:46pm
Col

Your main problem is how worn the pads are, might need to drop wheel off to make it easier to see them, personally I would make sure the discs are o.k. if they are just stick a new set of pads in and renew the sensor, job done. Main Dealer will tell you, you need discs, pads and sensor at stupid money, as very unlikely they will do it under warranty as they will say it's a wear and tear item. Look for a good Indi rather than pay Main Dealer rip off prices.

Cheers
Col

Post #616118 Sun Jul 25 2021 2:45am
Farmer Chalk

Totally agree as above….

Does the wire hanging down still have a small black knobbly bit at the end of it, or a plug fitting? Or is it stripped wires..?

If it’s the former you should just be able to relocate it…. Which is a fairly simple job with the wheel off…

Alternatively save yourself hundreds by viewing this :

Same principle….different car…. However if the light is on sounds like you need a new pad sensor and pads…
Still a relatively easy job..

Post #616120 Sun Jul 25 2021 8:46am
ansariwn

United Kingdom 

Thank you for your replies. I am expecting the dealership will fix the issue (break pads) for me hopefully free of charge.
Basically, I bought the vehicle back in June and after the first few days the break pad worn light came ON. They have called the vehicle back to fix a couple of other issues as well that I raised. However, as I only noticed the dangling wire a few days ago, I wanted to ensure if there is any other problem. The wire doesn’t have a nob at the end so it seems it has broken from the pad sensor after being worn out.
Can I argue with the dealership to change the discs as well? Can it be argued or is it just the pads? Please see the image of disc attached.
Thanks

Post #616127 Sun Jul 25 2021 11:30am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

They are consumables & chargeable, pads, discs & sensor Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #616133 Sun Jul 25 2021 1:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1