RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Question on JE Exhaust installation - TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Question on JE Exhaust installation - TDV6

Received the TDV6 exhaust from JE Engineering today - beautiful! I'm thinking of fitting it myself. Looks like removing the old exhaust is pretty straightforward. One clamp to loosen, unhook the various hangers and remove. The JE exhaust on the other hand is in seven parts and without any assembly instructions.

Has anyone fitted one of these themselves and, if so - are there any pointers to offer? I'm wondering as an example, if it is better to loosely assemble the bits (after using the factory exhaust as a pattern for what goes where) and then hang it, or hang the muffler bit, then just add the rest, part by part.

I'm better at mountain bikes than cars, so my wife is particularly worried about my doing this myself. Any advice is welcome. I'd have it fitted at the dealer, but I'm (a) impatient and won't wait for an appointment and (b) keen to see if I can actually do this myself. I've been so lucky at putting the other bits on, I've been emboldened by early success. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #56317 Tue Sep 19 2006 5:47pm
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

I would email JE and get them to do you some instructions of some sort, I am sure they will help out seeing as you have just bought it from them.

Post #56324 Tue Sep 19 2006 6:28pm
Singletrack

Have done that already Rolling Eyes however - item (a) from my post below applies in this instance also. Impatient. Exclamation Won't wait. Wink

Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless. My grasp of the obvious is not as tenuous as it might seem. Laughing 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #56325 Tue Sep 19 2006 6:43pm
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

Might be worth posting on Disco3.co.uk I think there may be a person in Ireland who has fitted one to a D3.

Post #56326 Tue Sep 19 2006 6:50pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Paulb has one fitted to his TDV6 - he is also a good friend of Jonathan - owner of JE - so would expect he may have some idea of how it all fits together Confused

I have the S/C version fitted to mine - but had them fit it - so i'm not much help sorry Sad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #56341 Tue Sep 19 2006 8:01pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Don't take this the wrong way, Singletrack, but if I was you and had the same "I wonder how you do this?" thoughts about fitting something as vital (and expensive) as a new exhaust system I'd be booking in with a decent fitter rather than attempting it myself. It'd be an awful shame if it all went a bit pear shaped... Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #56348 Tue Sep 19 2006 8:53pm
Singletrack

Schmoogle...did my wife call you? Shocked She keeps saying the same thing.

You just need to know that in Belgium you don't just drive up to a garage with bits and say "fit these". In most cases, they will just tell you to take a hike, in others, they will explain in detail why they cannot do it. The principal reason being that they are not making the margin on the part and labour only is loss making for them. Significant is that customer service will never figure in this dialogue. The dealer's response is that it violates the "conformité" of the vehicle (just as 22" wheels or an ECU upgrade would). This is not about warranty, but about legal certification.

On the other hand, if I am prepared to offer an exaggerated sum of cash...

The worst in all this is that I'm currently contemplating three job offers - two in the UK and one in the US...all of which would require me to sell off a brand new RRS with less than 1,000 KM on it. Shocked Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I try not to think about it. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #56408 Wed Sep 20 2006 5:57am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Fair enough... Smile

Why not save the exaggerated sum of money and try and get it fitted somewhere around Dover/Folkestone - might be worth a quick trip over on the Shuttle, no?

Good luck with deciding on your job offers... if you move to the UK would you not bring your RRS with you? 

Post #56424 Wed Sep 20 2006 8:49am
Singletrack

If the move is to the UK we certainly would bring the RRS....for a short while, until the whole "steering wheel on the wrong side of the car thing" made our getting over the "driving on the wrong side of the road" paradigm too difficult to overcome. I'm guessing that the resale value of left hand drive models in the UK is pretty poor... Shocked 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #56661 Wed Sep 20 2006 2:11pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Yep, there's not much market for them here, strangely... Wink although I'm sure someone would buy it. You wouldn't be getting top dollar though, of course. 

Post #56670 Wed Sep 20 2006 2:19pm
PaulB

England 

Hi,
I'll ask Jonathan tomorrow for you.
I'll also try to take a couple of pictures of the under side of my car so you can hopefully work out where all the bits go Wink
Cheers,
Paul

Post #56905 Wed Sep 20 2006 9:41pm
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

hehe! If you follow the PaulB and Jonathan route your car will be out of warranty before you get it fitted. Simply mail sales@jeengineering.co.uk whence the ever-competent Annette will arrange via myself to have detailed fitting instructions to be mailed to you within the hour.
One very serious instruction. Make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that your car is on very substantial stands, preferably a ramp, and restrained from moving one milimetre. It is not required that the wheels be removed, but DO NOT rely on the vehicle jack under any circumstances whatsoever. Use a first class exhaust assembly compound too. Fear not, mountain bikes are much more complicated contrivances! Smile

Post #56945 Wed Sep 20 2006 11:07pm
Singletrack

Thanks Cornelius...I emailed Annette two days ago (before posting the message) but have not had a reply yet. I do understand JE are a small outfit so I am not faulting them on response time. I have been looking for stands but cannot find any which will support the weight of the vehicle so I may ultimately be compelled to try and find someone to fit it. I agree the vehicle jack should not be relied upon for this.

I'm frustrated of course because I was really keen to undertake this project myself.

If you have ever tried to purge the disk brakes on a mountain bike or attempted to correctly torque the bolts on a carbon frame without crushing it...yes, they are much more complicated! 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #57207 Thu Sep 21 2006 7:49pm
PaulB

England 

I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone today as some doppy prat cut through the mains cable outside our office and we've had no power or telephones all day Mad
I'll try JE tomorrow for you.

CV,
What's your problem ? I simply offered to try to help help and you start making snide remarks. Mad Mad

Paul

Post #57214 Thu Sep 21 2006 9:36pm
PaulB

England 

I've spoken to Jonathan this morning about fitting the exhaust and it really is pretty straight forward.
If you start at the front and losely assemble the pieces on the car working towards the rear, you can then go back along the pipes adjusting and tightening them.

To start with, take your existing pipes off and lay them on the ground. You can then lay out the new pipes along side to the same pattern. It is then a simple matter of taking them in turn starting from the front.

JE don't have any written instructions, mainly because they fit most pipes themselves, but also because it is self explanatory once you start.

Have fun.

Paul

Post #57364 Fri Sep 22 2006 12:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>