RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Brand new RRSport stolen off driveway without keys!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>

JaneF

United Kingdom 
Brand new RRSport stolen off driveway without keys!

Hi there, we've just had our brand new Range Rover Sport stolen off our driveway overnight in London without the thieves taking our keys.
The tracker device(non RR) allowed it to be recovered quickly with only damage where they had tried brutally and unsuccessfully to remove the tracker. It's in for repairs but how do we stop it happening again? It seems like the car is completely vulnerable- should I go to Halfords and buy a big yellow steering wheel lock? Any ideas?

Post #422263 Fri Apr 25 2014 12:48pm
Sag

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

That is disgusting, sorry to hear it. Glad you managed to get it back so soon LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #422265 Fri Apr 25 2014 12:54pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

That's not good at all, firstly having it stolen, but them not needing the keys is worrying

The stand out comment is they had tried to remove the tracker, I thought these were hidden away and needed searching for abouts the car

Personally, I would buy anything I could to deter the theiving scum, until LR fix this issue

It's been reported that's this is going on all over and I believe there was mention of a recall/update

Ps moved to MY14 General Setion

Post #422267 Fri Apr 25 2014 1:24pm
JPR 1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

How did they start the car without the key I wonder. I had mine take few years ago with the key.
Never saw it again.
I now have a large heavy duty steering lock from Disklok iron gates at home, CCTV and Tracker, plus the huge guard dog as in my Avatar. Very Happy

Read in Auto Express last week Range Rover is now the UKs most stolen vehicle.

Glad you got yours back. Current Volvo XC90 R Design T8
Gone 2010 TDV8. Stornoway Grey
Gone VW R50, AUDI S8, ML320 Sport, FFRR V8
Stolen 2007 TDV8.

Post #422268 Fri Apr 25 2014 1:26pm
JaneF

United Kingdom 

The police said they could have copied the signal from our key to a device to gain entry(?). I'm no expert on this, but we'd like a response from Land Rover as to what we should do(we are still awaiting their return call). If I deposited £65,000 in a bank account and two weeks later it disappeared, the bank would have a level of responsibility/accountability to me to assure their security systems, my investment, and their brand reputation.

Post #422271 Fri Apr 25 2014 1:38pm
JPR 1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I agree, surely with todays technology we should be able to do away with the key.
Mercedes have the key card, and Audi have the fingerprint start. Current Volvo XC90 R Design T8
Gone 2010 TDV8. Stornoway Grey
Gone VW R50, AUDI S8, ML320 Sport, FFRR V8
Stolen 2007 TDV8.

Post #422272 Fri Apr 25 2014 1:42pm
The Red One

United Kingdom 

You make a very valid point about the responsibility of JLR on the security of such a prestigious vehicle. I also though that trackers were fitted in places that made it virtually impossible to take out, which is why they do not suggest they are transferred to another vehicle and offer a new unit when transferring subscription.
I have decided to update the doors on my garage to make it more secure, but also to keep it out of site too. Let's hope JLR come back with some solution soon as the car is very much sort after and this makes them desirable by undesirables.
Jane, keep us posted on what JLR come back to you with. Thumbs Up

Post #422274 Fri Apr 25 2014 1:47pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Shocked Sorry to hear this Jane I would drop it back off at the dealer and insist they make it more secure as there is obviously a problem with the security on the new RRS2 which L/R are aware of. Lucky you had a tracker otherwise i don't think you would have seen it again. In my case i wouldn't want to see mine again, hence why i haven't had a tracker fitted to mine. Hope you get it sorted one way or another.

Post #422276 Fri Apr 25 2014 2:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chrisr1806

England 

This kind of theft is happening a lot with the Evoque at the moment. Very worrying. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #422285 Fri Apr 25 2014 3:20pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It just shows that the thieves have caught up with clever tech we have come to believe is secure.

Perhaps cars now need two stage security - clever key and PIN for example. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #422288 Fri Apr 25 2014 3:31pm
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

It's quite possible they 'lifted' it.

Think of when you see someone's car being taken away for parking offences...

Post #422291 Fri Apr 25 2014 3:48pm
Jens0n

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Friendly Question to Npinks, why move to the general 14MY section?

If it's something like what colour should my new car be, what options, how's stop start technology working for you then maybe but...just a thought and my $0.02

Something like this, I' think LR customers relations is a much better place to provoke a response and make people aware of the problem.

J Gone - MY12 SDV6, Orkney Grey, Ivory interior, Privacy Glass

Post #422292 Fri Apr 25 2014 3:49pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Nick has also left the original post in LRCR so the OP may well still get a response from Pete. Thumbs Up

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic35741.html

Post #422296 Fri Apr 25 2014 4:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tom1s

Scotland 

Sorry to hear about your car Jane...Ive only had mine about 10 days now and I decided against a tracker. It did prompt me to buy GAP insurance independently just in case! I hope LR manage to help make your and all our cars more secure since I'm guessing you won't be the last person to suffer in this way. MY14.5 RRS HSE SDV6 in Corris Grey, Ivory interior, piano black trim, privacy glass,
panoramic sunroof, Meridian Premium System, Parking Assist and full size spare

Post #422298 Fri Apr 25 2014 4:47pm
JaneF

United Kingdom 

Customer relations have called me back this afternoon. So far there is nothing to be done from their perspective other than fix the damage that was done trying to remove the tracker. But in my view they have sold me a very expensive (and don't get me wrong it's gorgeous and we love it!) but a product nonetheless in which the security technology is not effective at the time we took delivery. A quick search on YouTube provides many videos in how to steal a RR in under 25seconds, and even links to buy devices to clone the key. For a premium car it shouldn't be that easy. Apple provide an iOS update with urgency the minute a security breach is identified. My iPhone has fingerprint technology. Why will RR not do something similar? Even reverting to an old fashioned hard key would give me better security. When it returns to us it will just be sitting there on our drive awaiting the next bunch of thieves! In fact the weaker the security is, the more thieves will be attracted to easy pickings!
I'll admit the customer services response has so far been disappointing, but I'm sure it will improve with some friendly pressure from the RR community in general!! So get posting and lobbying!

Post #422300 Fri Apr 25 2014 5:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>