RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Brand new RRSport stolen off driveway without keys!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>

philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Yes, we should all go round telling everyone how Censored the cars are so the riffraff don't buy them and there's no demand for parts or the whole car.

Until we come to sell that is, when it returns to being the best all round car on the road (which it is). 

Post #422910 Wed Apr 30 2014 8:42pm
hunter

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

There is another thread with the same subject matter..i have posted this on that thread also..but its my opinion....

Im in the camp that we take responsibility for our own security, Land Rover give us the basics and its up to us to enhance it if we feel the need too. Its a bit like a house builder..they give us doors and windows with locks but is up to us to fit alarms,security lighting, dogs etc. Many years ago i had a Xr4i (yes im showing my age) and three times in a week someone in the middle of the night tried to remove the wheel arch trim ( much the same as the spate of headlight thefts in todays RRS ) and it was really Censored me off....so off to the hardware store i went and bought some chemical metal and two packs of razor blades....i cut the razor blades in half and fixed them under the wheel arch trim where it fixed to the car under the arch...no-one would have any legitimate reason for having their hands there. Two days later....i got up to a undamaged car with a good patch of claret on the ground....and it never got touched again. But times wernt so politicaly correct then, and im not sure i would condone this type of thing now. But as i say, Land Rover give us the same basics as all the other manufacturers out there its our responsibility to deside if these deterents are adequate or not...and then take appropriate measures until we feel we have suficient deterents in place. Gone but not forgotten, 2005 RRS SC first edition, BMW 2010 Z4,TVR Tamora, TVR Cerb, MERC SL 55 AMG, E46 M3, Z4, Jag S type R, Skyline R33 GTR 640 bhp, Evo FQ 400, L322 RR, X5, Lotus Esprit V8 twin turbo, Lotus Elise 135r, Nissan Murano, Honda S2000, 911, Boxster s...and a few more

Post #422949 Thu May 01 2014 7:07am
JaneF

United Kingdom 

Fine- let's go back to basics then and give me an old fashioned key(or give me the option to buy an old fashioned key!). I can reconcile myself to a theft if they get hold of the key somehow, or smash a window to gain entry. I don't think it's acceptable to have the car just driven off. If they know the security technology is compromised, they need to provide a mechanical/physical component as well. (And that might be an old style key).

Post #422986 Thu May 01 2014 1:50pm
JaneF

United Kingdom 

And on your builder analogy, you'd be a bit annoyed with your builder if he fitted locks to your doors and windows if you both knew that all the local criminals had the masterkeys. Adding an alarm isn't the solution....calling in a locksmith to change the locks is what you would do. I can't do that.

Post #422987 Thu May 01 2014 2:02pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Jane really sorry to hear of your aggro.... itīs very frustrating and annoying... I have to say it would p.... me off having to have the car back... but hey ho.. thatīs what trackers do... !!

Unless it was a specific insurance requirement I never fitted tracker for that reason and always opted to pay a higher premium.

Although this has also reminded me partly of why I left London and now live in the safest place in the world .... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #423038 Thu May 01 2014 10:27pm
robot

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Jane you are correct in what you say and it is clear to see your frustration , however should your car be a target then the chances are it will be , I would think the scroats that have this technology would be the ones to great length to obtain their ill gotten gains whether that be breaking into your home or hijacking as I put in my earlier post I hope things settle down for you and you can enjoy the car

Post #423040 Thu May 01 2014 10:40pm
Mikey72

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

JaneF wrote:
Fine- let's go back to basics then and give me an old fashioned key(or give me the option to buy an old fashioned key!). I can reconcile myself to a theft if they get hold of the key somehow, or smash a window to gain entry. I don't think it's acceptable to have the car just driven off. If they know the security technology is compromised, they need to provide a mechanical/physical component as well. (And that might be an old style key).

I can understand why you feel this way. But trust me as someone who had my BMW stolen, when having conversations with the police it becomes very apparent that these criminals will stop at nothing. The stories of people being attack, threatened at knife point, or homes broken in to in order to get the keys, if you really think the good old fashion key is better then I'm sorry but you really haven't thought it through and it is just a knee jerk reaction.

You have your car back, you have insurance, just enjoy it and stop worrying about what could happen. Anything can be stolen, does it stop you buying or owning anything else? Be thankful that you have your health.

Post #423051 Thu May 01 2014 11:21pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

How can you stop worrying about what could happen Shocked when you have just gone through what Jane and her husband have Question Whistle It mentally scars you, possibly leading to stress.

Post #423052 Thu May 01 2014 11:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

+ 1 Ady.....

Mikey... if only life were that simple.... We are programmed to be concerned about events after we have had a bad experience of one.... admittedly some to a greater extent than others... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #423053 Thu May 01 2014 11:58pm
Mikey72

Ady 555 wrote:
How can you stop worrying about what could happen Shocked when you have just gone through what Jane and her husband have Question Whistle It mentally scars you, possibly leading to stress.

I've been through it, it is far from pleasant but life is full of stressful and negative experiences. I've had a bank card cloned and a huge sum of money allowed to go out, very stressful but it got resolved I don't now spend each day worrying it may happen again. My wife's car got smashed up by someone driving like an idiot, wrote off her car, but she came out with minor bruises and you move on and again accept that things like this can happen.

Said it before and I will again, it's more important that you have your health, for everything else their is insurance that can replace it, your own health and safety cannot be replaced by any amount of insurance payout.

Anyway for me this thread has ran its course. The OP said she had her car back only one person on this whole thread as far as I can see has had their RRS stolen, so if it was such a huge problem as a tiny few have suggested why aren't more on here in the same position?

Best of luck to the OP.

Post #423057 Fri May 02 2014 1:59am
martyn05

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

MSN Cars - Most stolen car list:

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/the-most-stole...uk#image=7 2006 RRS SC Bonatti Grey (the 55th car/van I have owned)
2005 GSX 1400 K5

Post #423065 Fri May 02 2014 7:58am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Its obvious to me that everyone who buys a RRS, isn't a member on here. This forum isn't in the workshop manual when you buy a sport, so i guess the people that arn't on here, don't know we are here.

Post #423066 Fri May 02 2014 8:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikey72

And Ady it's obvious to me that according to the members bit there are 184 pages with 50 per page which works out at over 9000 members. I accept not all active or owners but 1 person out of 9000...

Now go sign up to any BMW forum with similar no of members or less (trust me I am a member of 2 of them) and you will find many many posts about thefts from people who have actually had theirs stolen not just commenting on others. Which is made even more obvious by that most stolen link having so many BMWs at the top of the list.

Ideally no cars would get stolen, sadly that is not realistic.

Post #423071 Fri May 02 2014 8:57am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

BMW owners are more enthusiastic about their motors than Range Rover owners, hence more BMW owners go on forums.

Post #423072 Fri May 02 2014 9:07am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Really Shocked

I thought LR owners were the most enthusiastic - hence we keep buying them despite the faults, ridiculous prices and ease with which parts can be removed Rolling Eyes

Or maybe BMW's are just more common Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #423081 Fri May 02 2014 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>