RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Brand new RRSport stolen off driveway without keys!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>

Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The enjoyment of owning a RRS is fast disappearing if that is L/R attitude to this whole farce of their security. Whistle Come next year our insurance premiums will have gone through the roof, thats if there is an insurance company prepared to take the risk of insuring a RRS by then. Whistle First the spare wheels going missing, then the rear lights, then the front lights and grill, now the entire car Twisted Evil Give me one good reason to own a RRS now. Crying or Very sad

Jane, how did they gain entry to your car? Pm me if you wish.

Post #422771 Tue Apr 29 2014 7:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I know what you mean, been out off buying a newer LR due to this flaw in the security

But where do you go? Audi BMW etc all suffer

Post #422782 Tue Apr 29 2014 8:25pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Seems that we need to go back to something with the old fashioned key... Whistle

Post #422783 Tue Apr 29 2014 8:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Yes for a grand and keep the other £60k in the bank

Post #422786 Tue Apr 29 2014 8:52pm
Mikey72

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

JaneF wrote:
The police said they could have copied the signal from our key to a device to gain entry(?). I'm no expert on this, but we'd like a response from Land Rover as to what we should do(we are still awaiting their return call). If I deposited £65,000 in a bank account and two weeks later it disappeared, the bank would have a level of responsibility/accountability to me to assure their security systems, my investment, and their brand reputation.

Hope you don't mind me saying but that is an awful analogy.

If you had put your money (RRS) in a bank (LR dealership) and it was stolen, then of course it is the responsibility of the bank (LR dealership) to replace this. But of you have your money (RRS) in your possession after taking it out of the bank (dealership), and it gets stolen, does the bank (LR or dealership) then give you that money back or say it is their fault you had YOUR property stolen?

Very poor and irrelevant comparison. Anything you own that gets stolen while in your possession is your responsibility (not your fault before anyone tries to claim I said that) but not the fault of whatever company produced the product, be it your house, TV, wallet, money or car.

Horrible thing to go through and I know from past experience with my BMW, but blaming anyone but the thieves is not going to resolve it.

Post #422836 Wed Apr 30 2014 9:49am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Obviously the scumbags who steal are to blame but manufacturers make big claims about updated security of their products and massively increase prices yet it appears they can now be stolen easier than before - this does not add up Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #422838 Wed Apr 30 2014 9:59am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

If they make to technology available to every Tom Dick and Harry, what do they expect Question Whistle It should be licenced and regulated properly. Once it gets into the wrong hands, everyone that owns such a vehicle is potentially a victim. Sad Whats the saying.... It takes a theif to catch a theif. Perhaps Thacham should employ a few. Embarassed

Post #422844 Wed Apr 30 2014 10:17am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

In recent years we have added immobilisers, dead locks, laminated glass, interior sensors and coded keys to make cars more difficult to steal then stories of houses being broken into for keys started to surface but now they can take it or remove the contents/lights/grille without a scratch leaving you potentioly uninsured Shocked

And don't get me started on the mouse under the bonnet that squeaks if the alarm is triggered Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #422845 Wed Apr 30 2014 10:24am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Ady 555 wrote:
If they make to technology available to every Tom Dick and Harry, what do they expect Question Whistle It should be licenced and regulated properly. Once it gets into the wrong hands, everyone that owns such a vehicle is potentially a victim. Sad Whats the saying.... It takes a theif to catch a theif. Perhaps Thacham should employ a few. Embarassed

If they're prepared to steal a car do you really think they'll care about whether their theft technology is legal or not? If something can be stolen then it will be - they'll just get hold of (and then clone) the relevant kit even if it's "licenced and regulated". Getting some young mechanic in a dealership to "lose the kit" for an hour so it could be cloned wouldn't be that difficult.

A better bet would be to ensure that evidence of the theft can be used in court and that the police/CPS take the case through. And then the courts need to punish the theives properly. Perhaps manufacturers can help here by ensuring all of the parts in the vehicle are marked with the VIN. RFID would be one method.

The real problem is, of course, the demand for these cars (and of course the parts). Sort out the demand and there is no need to supply and thus no need for the crime. All of the people who have lost parts due to theft have done so because someone somewhere else wasn't prepared to pay the correct price for the parts (be that individuals buying on ebay or a company doing conversions on the cheap). So long as people want to mod on the cheap then parts will be stolen (unless cheaper aftermarket parts are available). Perhaps LR (or more likely their suppliers) should now be making the parts cheaper. Why do the lights cost several hundred pounds each? They're mostly just plastic mouldings. Sure, they have the xenon bulb and ballast in them but even these are quite cheap these days.

The thieves are just one link in the chain. You just need to break the chain at any point and the thefts will stop. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #422852 Wed Apr 30 2014 12:38pm
AK-Hammer

United Kingdom 

Found this article which was interesting

http://topmotors.com/news/post/top-ten-mos...-in-the-uk

Defender is the most nicked car the UK, with the RR in 6th. The rest of the top 10 are various german marques.

And interestingly, after London, the next worse area for stolen cars is....Bradford.... Shocked

Post #422856 Wed Apr 30 2014 1:08pm
somchie

Sweden 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Well... Land Rover made a service action here in Sweden, recalling Disco 4, RRS (old and new) to have updated security systems.

Older cars got new hardware and software, newer cars (like my new RRS) only new software.

A lot of new model RR and RRS have been stolen here! (and still are) Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic -14
Defender 110 SW LXV -14
Range Rover 5.0 Supercharged -10

Post #422863 Wed Apr 30 2014 1:32pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Ady 555 wrote:

If they're prepared to steal a car do you really think they'll care about whether their theft technology is legal or not? If something can be stolen then it will be - they'll just get hold of (and then clone) the relevant kit even if it's "licenced and regulated". Getting some young mechanic in a dealership to "lose the kit" for an hour so it could be cloned wouldn't be that difficult.

Do you honestly think they would let a young apprentice loose with such an important licenced piece of kit Question Shocked Certainly not where i take my car. Because this kit isn't licenced, anyone can get hold of one, hence why we now have this big mess of security on anything with a remote control or keyless entry. If the kits wasn't widely available, then the problem wouldn't be as bad as it is today. I'm not saying it wouldn't exsist. I'm not surprised Bradford is an hotspot either, but i won't say on a public forum my reasons why. Whistle

Post #422868 Wed Apr 30 2014 2:23pm
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 

Hi All,

I​ would like to share with you a response in relation this concern that I have provided to a member of this forum.

As a responsible manufacturer I can assure you that the security of our vehicles is of the highest priority to us and we work closely with Thatcham in order to take every possible step to prevent against vehicle theft.

​A​s you can appreciate we cannot control the actions of the individuals involved in such criminal activity, and therefore, like all manufacturers, we cannot provide guarantee that a vehicle will never be stolen but we do look to ensure that it is as difficult as possible.

We will always look to make improvements to the security systems fitted to our vehicles and investigate any situations where there is a concern regarding the security of a vehicle.

As always if anyone requires direct assistance regarding a related incident, please contact me directly and I would be more than happy to help.

Many thanks,
Pete Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #422872 Wed Apr 30 2014 3:23pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Pete, I think that what we are all looking for is a sign that JLR are taking this matter seriously and are actively looking at improving security on such an expensive vehicle.

Jim

Post #422875 Wed Apr 30 2014 4:22pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Ady 555 wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Ady 555 wrote:

Do you honestly think they would let a young apprentice loose with such an important licenced piece of kit Question Shocked Certainly not where i take my car. Because this kit isn't licenced, anyone can get hold of one, hence why we now have this big mess of security on anything with a remote control or keyless entry. If the kits wasn't widely available, then the problem wouldn't be as bad as it is today. I'm not saying it wouldn't exsist. I'm not surprised Bradford is an hotspot either, but i won't say on a public forum my reasons why. Whistle

Wouldn't have to be an apprentice - just one person, in one dealership. Hell it could be a service manager in desperate need of cash - and I bet there is one somewhere. Then they would be able to clone the kit. Once they have figured it out then the kit would become available on the black market just as credit card cloning kit is.

As I said, the only way to stop the thefts is to reduce the demand for the stuff that is stolen. Sadly, as the RRS1 has entered the low end of the market people with little money are looking to mod their vehicle and are prepared to buy nicked bits. Others are prepared to buy nicked cars in order to get around waiting lists in other countries. That is a harder one to deal with but HMRC do put a lot of effort in to contraband tracking. I would guess they're more worried about stuff coming in to the UK than going out, however. Perhaps that should change too.

To think this problem can be solved by the car manufacturers alone is a little naïve in my opinion. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #422900 Wed Apr 30 2014 7:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>