RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > SC Alloy Wheel Damage - Updated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 12 <123 ... 89 101112>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

At least he went to the trouble... you rarely see DPs or MDs of dealerships talking to their customers. They're normally too busy on the golf course. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #53430 Wed Sep 06 2006 11:33am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Well said Cliff! LR need to supply better wheels! It's no good saying this car will go everywhere but you will have to spend another 2k to make it without damage! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #53432 Wed Sep 06 2006 11:37am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Right then........ my alloys have got slightly damaged over the last 12mths then, becuase i'd have been better off fitting a set of winter alloys/tyres ?????

OK......... Confused

So what I need to do then is get myself another Audi S4 cabriolet ( my trade in for the RRS ) to get me through the winter months - as this car caused me NO problems at all - whatever the weather ! 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #53469 Wed Sep 06 2006 3:01pm
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Not disagreeing that the wheels may be unusually subject to damage from normal use, it does not take a rocket scientist to know that those low profile tyres on the 20" wheels will not be the most effective in snow or offroad.

As a Canadian from Montreal, I have a pretty good idea of what does and does not work in snow. So yes, even as I did with my cars in Canada - I spend some cash buying another set of wheels and tyres for winter use. Most people here in Belgium don't, which is why you see so many X5's, Touaregs and Cayennes going offroad where they did not intend, the moment it starts to snow. They drive too fast, overly confident about the 4X4 traction, on the wrong tyres.

Never having participated in real offroading myself, I would assume that the same principles apply in mud, on sand and gravel as they do in snow. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #53532 Wed Sep 06 2006 5:47pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Our cars [ wheels ] are picking up damage from normal day to day driving on normal british roads in normal conditions !

I would'nt expect to get excellent results from these wheels/tyres if I was to drive in severe poor weather or continued off road situations.

I drive this vehicle in the same places - same manor - same conditions as I did my S4 cabriolet - that managed OK ...... and didn't collect any damage on the way = period !

In fact the tyres were of a lower profile on the Audi - but they coped Confused 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #53552 Wed Sep 06 2006 10:21pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

I see the operative word here is 'off-road'.

Why are so many of you harping on the fact that low profile tyres on the 20" wheels are not suitable for off-road use? Why are we talking about off-road in the first place? Who are all these off-road experts?? Who's complaining? Mad You think we're stupid Question Question

If you are referring to RRUK's case then I implore all of you to ommit the word 'off-road'. RRUK does not have a problem with 'off-road'. MDP does not have a problem with 'off-road'. So do so many others who are complining of the poor quality of the 20" wheels. These wheels are showing signs of damage whilst in everyday use - tarmac, grassy fields, etc.

Cease and desist teaching us about off-road! Driving in the snow is not off-roading. Driving from the tarmac across 20' of dirt road to your house is not off-roading. Driving across a grassy field is not off-roading!

So please address this thread carefully. Its very simple actually, like someone just said, it does not take a rocket scientist! RRUK and the others have a problem with the wheels in everyday use - period!

For heaven's sake find another thread to lecture on off-roading! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #53559 Wed Sep 06 2006 11:48pm
drevs

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
Re: SC Alloy Wheel Damage - Updated

RRUK wrote:
The car is awesomely capable off road. It's like a mountain goat... We all made it with ease, and why shouldn't we? We are afterall driving the King of Offroaders.

Apart from one thing. The embarassment factor of now having 4 totally wrecked alloy wheels again!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

How pathetic is it that each and every time a SC Sport goes off road, the alloys are more than likely to be ruined, leaving the owner with either a bill for refurbishment or replacement.

...But this just shows that the SC on it's standard wheels and tyres is totally flawed offroad.

I will build my own web site to illustrate the damage, the off road conditions and let people make up their own mind.

So, I face a turning point here, I love the car as it does the 2 jobs I require of it, motorway munching and off road prowess.

and that's just his first post.

Post #53563 Thu Sep 07 2006 4:06am
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

MDP wrote:

I drive this vehicle in the same places - same manor - same conditions as I did my S4 cabriolet - that managed OK ...... and didn't collect any damage on the way = period !

In fact the tyres were of a lower profile on the Audi - but they coped Confused

I guess you are sensitive to the fact that the RRS weighs 2000 lbs more than the S4...

Like I say - I'm not saying the wheels are not unreasonably vulnerable to damage in normal use...I'll discover that for myself. But I do not think it is fair to fault them for damage offroad.

From my own experience I know that entering a grassy field in a low slung mid-engined sports car, I slow and crawl along, sensitive to how firm the surface is and the risk of bogging down. Doing so in a 4X4, I proceed more aggressively, confident of both the clearance and capabilities of the car to cope. But if both have the same low profile wheels and one weighs almost twice as much as the other...then I might be taking some risks.

As to flaming those interested in a reasonable debate of the merits of the argument at hand - I agree with drevs...read the thread.

Mypoint on snow was not about damage to the wheels but rather recognition that the 20" wheels with their wide profile and "summer" tread pattern are ineffective in snow - BIG TIME. Hence the need to either switch tyres or have another set of wheels and tyres with a higher sidewall profile, smaller contact patch and deeper tread pattern. Which suggests that if you live in the countryside (or spend time there) in the kind of climate we have in this part of Europe, you might well have a second set of wheels and tyres. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #53567 Thu Sep 07 2006 6:36am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Tarmac and grassy fields. Gee, what kind of abrasive grass do you guys grow on your fields over there? Aren't we just getting a little bit carried away here? I ran the 19" OEM, CHROMED of all things, for nearly 20K miles. Drove them on tarmac (and you should see the conditions of the tarmac in California), through grassy fields, dirt roads, rain, hail, wind, mud, sand storms in the Nevada deserts. No snow, I'm afraid. No real offroading, either. But I was more concerned about the delicate Conti tyres, rather than the rims, when I decided I would wait to go offroading until I got a set of real offroad tyres (which are finally coming this week!!!!) The only visible damage I sustained was to both the tyre sidewall and rim when I slightly, and I do mean slightly, brushed agains a curb/kerb. Are 20" rims really that much worse in everyday conditions? We are talking 1/2" less rubber between rim and road, very similar design and probably identical alloy material... 

Post #53568 Thu Sep 07 2006 6:48am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Drevs,

My term of "off-road" is a generic description for taking the car anywhere away from tarmacadam surfaces.

In my case, the "off-roading" I did was grassy fields, farm tracks and the like, I did not take it into bogs, rock strewn craters, lakes, rivers, quarries, sand dunes.

I am perfectly intelligent enough to know that such activity requires a proper set of tyres and wheels. I made that point in my letter to Landrover (had you bothered to read it thoroughly) however I am only using this car as it was intended in STANDARD form i.e. mainly on road with occasional weekend trips where I need to go across fields etc.

I can see you like to antagonise people, not a very constructive way to participate in this forum I would have thought. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #54201 Fri Sep 08 2006 3:41pm
drevs

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Yes, I did read the letter.

It's only antagonizing if it's taken it personally. This is an internet forum where annonymous people often are more opinionated than they'd be in person. I'm sure I'm no different, but in this issue I can't help but say, "Well, what did you expect?"

While I agree that the factory setup is unsatisfactory (possibly even dangerous?) for taking offroad, I think that the owner bears the burden of responsibility if he chooses to do so. There, was that more diplomatic? Wink

And keep in mind I have a set of thrashed Stormers from off roading too...

Here's an honest, well intentioned question: In a perfect world, specifically what would you want LR to do to solve this?

Post #54219 Fri Sep 08 2006 4:03pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Bobby, really disappointed that you feel it necessary to use such emotive language. Confused

There is a perfectly legitimate school of thought here that 20" wheels and tyres are akin to high heel stilletto shoes. Such shoes look lovely and in their place and are just what the wearer wants to be seen in. But, if that wearer wants to step off pristine marble floors, dance floors or pavement, they better think again.

18" wheels and tyres that we have on our D3 and RRS are much more akin to a set of trainers. Such shoes can be safely and securely used in a far wider range of environments. Ok so they aren't perfect for attending a posh function, nor are they ideal for rock climbing, but actually you could use them for both without harm. My 18" wheels and tyres have shown no damage at all in a combined 60,000 miles in the D3 and RRS, and that certainly included plenty of every type of on and offroad driving.

Form or function, its a compromise every time and its up to each buyer to pays their money and take their choice ....... Smile RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #54361 Sat Sep 09 2006 1:00pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Smarticus, wasn't meaning to be emotive. Wink

Yes, I agree that the 20" wheels are akin to stilleto shoes. Our point exactly!

Its just that why are you putting them on a wrestler and pushing him into the ring? And when the wrestler wobbles about and keeps falling down - you tell him that its his problem and why is he wearing the silly shoes in the ring!! You shout to all and sundry that he's the best in the ring and yet its YOU who fitted him with the stillettos.

Land Rover is the manager of the wrestler. He has trained him well and made him strong. (Compare the looks and description of the RRS - muscular, strong, powerful etc.). And then the manager provides the wrestler with a pair of cinderella shoes!!

Smarticus, the RRS is like the wrestler. Rugged, strong, muscular. Land Rover is like the manager of this wrestler.

The RRS SC comes with the 20" wheels. Supplied by Land Rover. Who better to decide what the RRS, the rugged, muscular 4x4xFar should be wearing?

You have a perfectly legitimate point if the RRS comes in factory fitted 18" wheels and some dope like RRUK (sorry mate) changes them for some flashy 20". When he rips his tyres, you can say "I told you so!"

There is nothing wrong with the 20" wheels/tyres per se. Its just that they don't fit the RRS S/C. Form or function, Land Rover should have thought of this. They should know that as much as the RRS has a ballroom form, the 4x4xFar WILL occassionally, for function sake, leave the pristine dance floor and just step off the pavement. Razz Razz Cool Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #54377 Sat Sep 09 2006 3:48pm
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

What do you suppose the Royals do when they romp across their manors in a jaunty manner in their Buckingham Blue RRS. Are they running 20's or 19's or 18's? Do they get a lifetime supply of free rims too, now wouldn't that be grrrrreeeeaaaat?

My Scottish ancestors are rolling over howling with laughter.

So...any news from LR on free rims?

Laughing Laughing Laughing PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #54392 Sat Sep 09 2006 6:29pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I think RRUK's gone off on holiday (lucky git!) - so I guess we'll have to wait a while for the outcome.

By the way, Bobby... very entertainingly and eloquently put! Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #54423 Sat Sep 09 2006 10:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 12 <123 ... 89 101112>