RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > SC Alloy Wheel Damage - Updated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>

MDP

United Kingdom 

When VA says it takes 30mins - What he really meant is that he has a team of dedicated technicians turn up at his home to do the job whilst he sits back and enjoys the show......... and when the shows finished... he pops out to see if his wheels are done Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #50114 Mon Aug 21 2006 10:45am
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Na he gets the butler to go and have a look Laughing Wink RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #50116 Mon Aug 21 2006 10:52am
MDP

United Kingdom 

OK

On a serious note .... I fully understand where RRUK is coming from & share his frustrations/anger with these "stock" 20" alloys.

I haven't bothered to take my own s/c RRS offroad for this very reason, but having said that my alloys are still scuffed/scraped/marked/damaged ..... all the way around.... each and every one of them! Twisted Evil They can't even cope with day to day motoring without picking up the odd scratch. I am a very careful driver when it comes to my alloys - All my previous cars' alloys have been p/x'd without a mark on them.

I have emailed LR about this - but the reply asked me to consult my local dealer Confused This I still have to do.

I think a little more thought could have been warranted from LR on this subject. It's a fair point RRUK makes with regard to the FFRR Supercharged and its wheel/tyre set up. Maybee the RRS alloys are soft? But to harp on about 19" alloys is missing the point! Remember RRUK only took his car through a farmers filed last time & his alloys were Censored !

Personally I think LR need to address this problem ASAP and look to another alloy manufacturer/supplier. Either that or consult a Tyre manufacturer for developement of a better tyre suited specifically for cars of this ilk.

I too sympathise with anyone out there who has parted with their £60k for a supercharged only to find the moment they drive off fromj the showroom ......... the alloys are more than likey going to get scuffed on the way home.

Surely it can't be too hard to design a tyre that offers better side wall wheel protection coupled to an alloy that doesn't have pronounced rims?

Come on Land Rover Evil or Very Mad 

Post #50118 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:04am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

I am a bit puzzled at the comparison between the wheels of a big Range Rover and a Sport, simply because they happen to have the same engine and same size rims. The Range Rover was never designed to handle like a Sport. By the same token then, I am sure there are some owners of FFRR out there all Censored off at Land Rover because they weren't told their cars would hit the guard-rail and get all scratched if they drove it like a Sport on a mountain road. You can't have it both ways. You can try putting those FFRR tyres on a Sport so your rims don't get scratched. Good luck on the road!

Do people really buy 390 hp engines and Brembo brakes to go wherever a Defender goes? Land Rover assumes they don't, at least not out of the Showroom. If they want to go offroad, there are different tyre and rim setups that do a better job. Note that the original poster is not complaining about the lack of offroading capabilities of his Sport, only about the cosmetic damage to his 20" rims, caused by low profile tyres that were designed to go 140 mph and handle nearly as well as a sports car. His car DOES go anywhere, just as advertised. But I don't need Land Rover to tell me that a high performance 45 profile tire with no tread to speak of will do very little to protect my rims. Certainly I don't need them to tell me twice. Wink 

Post #50119 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:22am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Guys the 30 min estimate was just that - sorry if I miscalculated it a bit but I reckon this can be done 30-45 minutes. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #50120 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:31am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

This terrain is no problem for the 20" stock rims and tyres:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

For anything else, you need MasterCard. Literally! 

Post #50121 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:32am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Umbertob,

I take your point but on those photos there are no ruts, rocks, mud etc. It's purely up and downy dirt ground. Not very challenging and designed I'm sure to give a good show of the capabilities of a LR product. They hardly portray real life real world off roading do they?

Why should the tyres on the Sport Supercharged be any less capable offroad than the tyres on the FFRR Supercharged?

Why should the tyres on the FFRR Supercharged be any worse on road than the tyres from the Sport Supercharged? It's the same engine, same capable speeds etc and actually has 10bhp more?

The tyres on the FFRR SC need to keep the same rolling weight in check at very high speeds, but they don't allow such easy damage to the wheels. It's not rocket science.

I know for a fact I'm not the only SC owner who has had a replacement set of alloys out of Landrover, I've heard tales of certain footballers in the UK who have done the same.

You know, we could end up in all sorts of arguements here between us, and how long before an anti 4x4 person says to the majority of our Sport community that if they don't also use theirs off road they should never buy one in the first place as that's what the car is for etc etc....

Let's not bicker between ourselves but continue to try and show Landrover how and where it can improve this already magnificent product. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #50124 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:43am
MDP

United Kingdom 
Re: You're not going to believe it....

Umbertob ........ ?

RRUK wrote:
........ Then, following 3 Range Rover P38's, 2 Range Rover L322's (one of which is the Supercharged version) and a Discovery 2 we all trek up into the highlands and low gear our way up, up and up some more.........and they were all unmarked, even the FFRR Supercharged on it's 20" rims was fine.......
The FFRR SC has 255/50/R20 tyres, so they are not as wide but have deeper sidewalls than the 275/45/R20s on my car. Both of these are standard sizes for the respective cars you should know. I have not modified anything on mine, nor had th owner of the FFRR SC.

Quote LR figures

FFRR S/C
max speed 130mph
0 - 60 7.1 sec

RRS S/C

max speed 140mph
0 - 60 7.2 sec

The average driver will probably get the same performance from both cars in his day to day driving - but the FFRR S/C driver will have CLEAN alloys at the end of the day Confused

It really comes down to the need for LR to adopt a proactive stance on this and come up with a better option for all Smile 

Post #50125 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:51am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Do you think LR might want to replace my 19's which I wrecked the other weekend? Embarassed 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #50128 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:56am
MDP

United Kingdom 

On another note..........

Having participated in the exclusive [ Kam = sorry Wink ] day at Gaydon I can confirm that all the cars used on that day were HST versions of the SUPERCHARGED & they put these cars through hell that day.... they all wore stock 20" rims ...... and I looked at them all .......

ALL WERE DAMAGED / MARKED

However, the point here being that to demonstrate the cars ultimate prowess on & off road including some extreme track driving they stuck with the stock tyres and alloys. 

Post #50129 Mon Aug 21 2006 11:57am
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

And it's not like L/R DON'T say you can't take it on the track

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Adventures/...erview.htm Rolling Eyes RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #50132 Mon Aug 21 2006 12:05pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

There is no denying the stock 20" alloys/tyres are more than capable offroad ......

Click image to enlarge

Post #50134 Mon Aug 21 2006 12:12pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

By the look of that picture MDP those tyres have had a lot of pressure let out of them! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #50135 Mon Aug 21 2006 12:13pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Here is another then.............

Click image to enlarge

Post #50136 Mon Aug 21 2006 12:17pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Land Rover are fully aware of the problem. When I did my LRE day the guy told me they don't use the sports for the 2nd half of the day, not because they can't do it, but because they would be forever changing out damaged wheels. Land rover are taking a commercial decision. They know very few LR's will go off road, those that do may get damaged wheels, most owners will say nothing. If they have to give away a few sets of wheels so be it. All the manufacuturers work like that. Go after them for a new set of wheels. And good luck.

It's no consolation but Porsche have a similar problem with brake systems. They started selling carbon ceramics discs, instead of steels, for superior performance. They started only offering them on the 911 GT models which are intended for track use. Turns out the discs aren't up to the stresses of track work & disintergrate. People claim under warranty, not fit for purpose, etc, Porsche say it's a consumable what do you expect. These things cost around 7-8k a car!! Cue many equally disgruntled customers. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #50155 Mon Aug 21 2006 12:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>