RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > SC Alloy Wheel Damage - Updated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I want a VO SC! Big Cry Big Cry 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #50159 Mon Aug 21 2006 1:00pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Very Annoyed wrote:
I want a VO SC! Big Cry Big Cry

with 19" rims Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #50160 Mon Aug 21 2006 1:01pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

It could have 16 inch wheels - I don't care! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #50161 Mon Aug 21 2006 1:01pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter 

Post #50162 Mon Aug 21 2006 1:02pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

You've all discussed this to death and you don't need me to reiterate what everyone has said... BUT bad luck, RRUK. If it's any consolation my alloys are all scuffed up too and this is just from living in an area where the local roads are primarily little declassified twisties with dirt banks. Bobby's point about the alloy material being soft may have some weight... although how you go about testing this I have no clue.

I wonder if LR will stump up for another set? I'd prepare myself for a harder fight this time, RRUK... Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #50163 Mon Aug 21 2006 1:06pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I'm ready... Cool L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #50215 Mon Aug 21 2006 3:16pm
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

I think LR alloys are very poor quality in general.
They pit very easily with brake dust, the inner wheel is not even sprayed and as my post last week about my wheels being replaced, the overall finish can be very poor.

Post #50364 Mon Aug 21 2006 10:38pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

RRUK wrote:
Umbertob,

I take your point but on those photos there are no ruts, rocks, mud etc. It's purely up and downy dirt ground. Not very challenging and designed I'm sure to give a good show of the capabilities of a LR product. They hardly portray real life real world off roading do they?

RRUK, that was my point I guess. I had no intentions to being argumentative, but it was 3 a.m. (local) when I wrote this and I guess it didn't come out the way I wanted it to... my apologies. I had/have the same beef with Land Rover about the wheels that came with my car. The 19" on my HSE do not fare much better - when fitted with the stock Contis - off the beaten path, they have a similarly exposed outer surface that scratches easily, and the sidewalls of the tyres themselves seem to be made of putty, tearing and breaking at the mere sight of a curb/kerb, let alone some sharp rocks.

My opinion is Land Rover gave us wheels that perform well and quietly as a performance setup on the road (which is where us owners spend 90% of our time, with very few exceptions) and can survive unscathed occasional outings on some specific off-road terrains, such as the one I rode during the event pictured above or over smooth rocks in Utah like MDP's photos illustrate. But I bet I could have negotiated those courses with my 21" rims and Dunlop racing tires with similar success, the rest of the hardware above the wheels is just that good. Laughing For real-world, go-anywhere offroading situations, you need to leave your 20" rims and Contis at home (and I should do the same with my Contis, if only I could get a hold of those 19" Wranglers here in the US) and go with a G4 type of wheels setup - and maybe some extra underbody protection for even more challenging situtations.

Regarding the comparison between FFRR and RRS, we are not just comparing top speeds and weights here. These are cars with completely different driving dynamics that need different tyre setups to maximize their on-road performance while still being the capable offroaders Land Rover is known for. The big Range S/C has some extra sidewall and skinnier tyres that happen to protect its rims better because it's supposed to be a large and posh sedan on stilts, not a compact sportscar/SUV "thing" like yours. It doesn't have the same fun ride, superb on-road handling characteristics and quick reflexes of a Sport, so it doesn't need tyres as wide or as low profile. The extra rubber surely makes the ride feeling more cushy and quiet than yours, but the FFRR is nowhere near as agile and tossable as your Sport on the twisties, it only goes as fast on a straight line because the engines happen to be the same. The guy driving it will scape his rims less offroad, but you will leave him in the dust on the way back home (unless the way back home has no curves, in which case you will get there at the same time Wink) I don't think your Sport would handle as well on the road if you were riding on his somewhat more chubby and less responsive tyres, even though you may get out of the mud with less scrapes on your rims. 

Post #50377 Tue Aug 22 2006 7:04am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Umbertob, thanks for the clarification, late night posts can sometimes come out weird, I know! Very Happy

I know that if I were to be taking mine offroad in a serious manner, like VA is beginning to, I'd need different wheels and tyres. That is slightly complicated by the DR pack and Brembo brakes. Evil or Very Mad

Take last weekend though as an example, I definitiely did not have the time to swap any wheels over, and I don't have anywhere to store them. Also, I can't run off road wheels and tyres all the time. Stuck btween a rock and a hard place. Shocked

I do think now that the quality of LR alloys is poor, as MDP said, we've all had cars with alloy wheels but I've never had ones that get marked so easily as these ones. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #50383 Tue Aug 22 2006 9:10am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Quote:
Stuck btween a rock and a hard place

...that'll be an X5 then. Laughing

Post #50396 Tue Aug 22 2006 9:51am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

RRUK - I know a solution! Buy a get of off road wheels, a sheet of plate glass and you could make yourself a stylish coffee table using the 4 wheels as legs. Alternatively stack the wheels on top of each other and place the glass on top for a useful kitchen table! Mrs RRUK will be pleased! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #50406 Tue Aug 22 2006 10:07am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Won't she just... Wink 

Post #50408 Tue Aug 22 2006 10:09am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Remeber the furniture TOP GEAR made from car parts = Top Stuff too Wink 

Post #50436 Tue Aug 22 2006 10:58am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Yeah, those seats they sit on in the studio... I'm sure they're from a late 80s Vauxhall Senator. What say you? 

Post #50493 Tue Aug 22 2006 12:56pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

RRUK wrote:
Umbertob, thanks for the clarification, late night posts can sometimes come out weird, I know! Very Happy

Durrrr..... check out the time of my last post. You know that just back from the pub, quick check of the forum, allow yourself to be wound up, insensitive reaction etc etc.

BUT, (ducks head and slips silently towards the door) I still agree with myself that to damge one set of wheels was unfortunate, whilst to damge a second set could be seen as reckless. To then threaten Landrover with a Censored storm of bad publicity seems inappropriate to me.

We simply have to accept that a number of features of the RRS are designed for on road function rather than offroad use. Take the deep front skirts - they are designed to look good and optimise airflow at high speed. But they get torn off in minutes on a really knarly offroad section. So Landrover thoughtfully design then to be removable if you go offroad. The 20 inch Stormers are also clearly designed to look great, but as a result they sit proud of the rubber so are very exposed to damage in deep ruts with abrasive edges (such as rocks or gravel). If heading into those areas cosmetic damage should be expected. It can be avoided by "putting her wellies on". To bitterly complain about such cosmetic damage and expect some further compensation from LR simply doesn't stack up to me. If by expressing that view I am in your opinion unsupportive (or in Jay's view commiting some henious crime against a fellow forum member), then sorry. But I still think my view is a valid one (if accepting that I perhaps put my initial point a bit sharpley). RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #50628 Tue Aug 22 2006 11:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>