RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Wheel choices on TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

drowland

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Wheel choices on TDV8

My first post to the fourm, although I've been monitoring for a few weeks, so hello everyone.

I just put down a deposit on a TDV8 HSE the other day and was told that the Stormer alloys are only available on the HST model. however, since putting down the deposit I found this on the Land Rover site:

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/Ra...tourer.htm

Quote:
TDV8 Exterior Refinements
The new Range Rover Sport TDV8 is distinguished by a bright, Titan-finish grille and side vents, shared with the Supercharged. The TDV8 also introduces 20 inch 10 spoke and 20 inch Stormer Alloys available as options across the entire range. The new standard 18 inch and 19 inch lighter weight alloy wheels are a further advancement. In addition to looking stunning, they reduce unsprung mass within the suspension, which directly contributes to better ride quality.

Does anyone know what is really available? I'll be popping into the dealers tomorrow morning so it would be good to know where I stand.

Thanks in advance

David

Post #72584 Fri Dec 29 2006 9:44pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

As far as I know everything is available at a price. If your dealer wont supply just get a basic set of 19's and buy the stormers off a third party. Put the 19's on ebay for £500-£600. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #72585 Fri Dec 29 2006 9:56pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Hi David and welcome
The 20 inch stormers are available across the range and your dealer should be able to supply them, as VA said you can always get them from a third party, it might work out cheaper. some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #72587 Fri Dec 29 2006 10:10pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

ENVOY's correct. When upgrading to a premium wheel your dealer doesn't give you a cash back value to your old wheels, most just take them and flog them on ebay or put them in a skip! Do some figures, you could save 100's and if you do a small donation to this site wouldn't go amiss! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #72588 Fri Dec 29 2006 10:15pm
rrsjo

Re: Wheel choices on TDV8

[

Quote:
TDV8 Exterior Refinements
The new Range Rover Sport TDV8 is distinguished by a bright, Titan-finish grille and side vents, shared with the Supercharged. The TDV8 also introduces 20 inch 10 spoke and 20 inch Stormer Alloys available as options across the entire range. The new standard 18 inch and 19 inch lighter weight alloy wheels are a further advancement. In addition to looking stunning, they reduce unsprung mass within the suspension, which directly contributes to better ride quality.

Surely the use of the word "option" in Land Rover terms means that they are now offered as a factory fit option "in lieu off" the appropriate "standard" items and usually at an additional cost?

The Stormer wheels are also offered in Land Rover's 'Accessory' brochure, but of course this would be on a dealer or self fit basis, after first purchasing the the vehicle with its standard wheels.

I suggest you ring Land Rover Customer Services to get clarification as the dealers I have spoken to seem to be very much in the dark, due to no brochures being made available to them from Land Rover. Banging Head

Post #72597 Fri Dec 29 2006 11:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drowland

Thanks for the responses. I'll have a chat to the dealer in the morning and let you know how I get on.

Post #72601 Fri Dec 29 2006 11:43pm
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Very Annoyed wrote:
ENVOY's correct. When upgrading to a premium wheel your dealer doesn't give you a cash back value to your old wheels, most just take them and flog them on ebay or put them in a skip! Do some figures, you could save 100's and if you do a small donation to this site wouldn't go amiss!

This was not my experience. The outright purchase of the Stormers was quoted at close to 5,000 Euro including tyres. The "upgrade" to Stormers was half that at 2,500 Euro. I chose the latter and bought my own LR 19" wheels off eBay. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #72602 Fri Dec 29 2006 11:57pm
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

When I ordered my TDV8 I was offered the Stormers, but as I live on a farm and do go off-road, stayed with the standard 20" wheels.

The dealer did say he had a number of customers (probably 1 or 2) complaining that the lower profile wheels get kerb damaged easily. Also if you are thinking of going off-road rather than off-pavement.....Stormers won't do the job well!

But they really look much, much coooooler!

Post #72617 Sat Dec 30 2006 12:03pm
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

The definitive answer is that the TDV8 comes as standard with 20" 10 Spoke Alloys (NOT Stormers), and you cannot upgrade to Stormers as a factory order.

So, the only way to achieve Stormers on a TDV8 HSE is to order a set as an accessory (WITHOUT TYRES) via the dealer, and ask them to swap the tyres from your 10 spoke wheels and fit to the car. When you collect your car they will then give you the original 10 spokes without tyres for you to then sell on ebay or via this forum.

I would guess that it will cost £1500 ish for the Stormers and you'll possibly get £500 for the unused 10 Spokes meaning a net upgrade cost of £1000 plus a fair amount of aggrovation! Wink TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #72620 Sat Dec 30 2006 1:13pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

RAD wrote:
When I ordered my TDV8 I was offered the Stormers, but as I live on a farm and do go off-road, stayed with the standard 20" wheels.

The dealer did say he had a number of customers (probably 1 or 2) complaining that the lower profile wheels get kerb damaged easily. Also if you are thinking of going off-road rather than off-pavement.....Stormers won't do the job well!

But they really look much, much coooooler!

Surprise surprise that the dealer said that!....

The standard 20" wheels are just as crap off road as the Stormers, it makes no difference at all, they both run on the same tyres and are both as easy to damage.

I would advise ANYONE looking to buy Stormers or any other set of Landrover wheels, to save their hard earned money and NOT buy the genuine articles, as I have proven with two sets of 20" wheels, they are all rubbish offroad, you may as well buy the fakes off eBay or from the advertisers in LRO and save yourself a bundle. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #72671 Sun Dec 31 2006 5:51pm
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

RRUK you have a point but I would guess that 99% of owners buy 20" for looks alone.

Immitation wheels are cheaper but I did have an experience with an Audi where I bought fake wheels, and after not too long all four were oval as opposed to round. I bit the bullet and bought originals (as I had the tyres from the fake ones) and they were fine for 40,000 miles until I sold it.

I'd guess it's pot-luck as to who and where they were made, but personally I'd rather buy originals so that if the rim shatters (or similar) and I damage my car then I can go to the dealer for compensation.

The above is only my personal view. I don't go off road that often (only muddy fields as opposed to rocky tracks) and I think 20" wheels suit the car, so I'm happy! I did however have a serious blow-out (see my gallary) which could have been down to sidewall damage?

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do! TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #72699 Sun Dec 31 2006 8:43pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

I can get as new (upto 50 miles normally) GENUINE stormers and tyres from a local, legit source at £1000 plus VAT - pm me for the details.

Post #72747 Mon Jan 01 2007 6:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1