Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Front Parking Sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Lewis-Oddie

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Front Parking Sensor

Morning All

Picked up my first Range Rover a few weeks ago. 2006 RRS HSE in Java black. Absolutely in love with the thing so far, such a different experience to my VW / Audi's of previous years. A couple of days ago I got the message on the dashboard that my front parking assistance was inactive. Followed some guidance and worked out that the passenger side front sensor isn't clicking. Either the sensor or the wiring to the sensor is duff. I've got a new sensor ready to fit but wondered what's the easiest way to access and remove the old one ?

I've read that the outer sensors can be done without removing the bumper. Am I best removing the inner wheel arch liner and having a poke round in there?

Cheers

Post #437760 Thu Sep 25 2014 11:53am
Nsp1

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I had my passenger side headlight out this morning fixing my horn.
Noticed I could get my hand down to the sensors via the gap. Noticed this as I had to remove my rear bumper when I had the same problem as you with my rear sensor.

Try this first, should be ok as long as you haven't got hands like shovels.

Thumbs Up

Post #437780 Thu Sep 25 2014 2:14pm
Lewis-Oddie

Thanks for the info mate. Will give it a go later on today when I get home. Fingers crossed it's the sensor and not a wiring fault which means the bumper has to come off!

Post #437788 Thu Sep 25 2014 2:58pm
Nsp1

Mine was the same at the back.
The only one not clicking. Like you say, fingers crossed it's that.

Post #437789 Thu Sep 25 2014 3:00pm
Lewis-Oddie

Ok so I had a look at this earlier on. I first tried to remove the headlight. I released the two tabs holding the light in but could not for the life of me get it to come away from the car. It felt like something was still holding it in place?

I then decided to try and get access via the wheel arch. The arch liner is extremely tight but I managed to get my hand in and could reach the sensor. Couldn't figure out how to release the sensor though? Does it push out of the front or does it pull back out of the bumper?

Post #437835 Thu Sep 25 2014 7:29pm
Nsp1

The 2 clips for the headlights pull up. Don't pull them all the way. You need to pull them up until the holes line up. It's a kind of security thing so they're not that easy to remove.

There's a powerfuluk YouTube vid on this if you search.

You can then get your hand in.

Regarding the sensors, they have a couple of clips on the side then go in towards the car.
Look at your new sensor where the little clips are.

Post #437839 Thu Sep 25 2014 8:02pm
DaveB

United Kingdom 

I believe this might help you...

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...0Cover.pdf

Post #437840 Thu Sep 25 2014 8:03pm
Lewis-Oddie

Thanks for the responses. I managed to sort it this afternoon. I removed the headlight after getting the tabs to line up properly. Once the light was out I could access the sensor. Took quite a while and a lot of swearing to release the tabs for the sensor but eventually did it. Luckily it seems to have just been a duff sensor, working perfectly again now.

Thanks again

Post #437910 Fri Sep 26 2014 7:27pm
designboy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey

Right this has had 3 attempts by me so far and I'm losing the will to live, there are three little spring clips on the sensor, I can pry them open one at a time, but I've no idea how you would do three at the same time. Its been really bugging me - I replaced my old bulbs with LED ones (yey) today so got another go at the sensor but these sensors are evil things of satan! 

Post #438657 Mon Oct 06 2014 7:01pm
Lewis-Oddie

I know exactly how you feel buddy. Is it one of the outer sensors? If so it is possible, it is just very fiddly and extremely frustrating. I first removed the grill and headlight, once you have those out you can get your hands down to the sensor. As you say there are 3 tabs that you have to release and push the sensor backwards at the same time. The way I managed to do it was removing the wheel arch liner so I could get my right arm in, releasing the tabs with my right arm and at the same time pushing the front of the sensor towards with the back of the car with my left arm.

After some swearing it decided to come out. Once you have it out the new one literally just pushes into place.

Good luck!

Post #438696 Tue Oct 07 2014 9:00am
designboy

Lol - thanks man, that's really helpful - gives me the push to try it once more. I think I was pulling the sensor out of the bumper and not into it. Is this right or was I going the wrong direction? 

Post #438704 Tue Oct 07 2014 11:11am
Lewis-Oddie

No, you need to be pushing the sensor towards the car from the front. That's the way I did it anyway.

Post #438713 Tue Oct 07 2014 1:47pm
DaveB

United Kingdom 

There are two parts.

1. A bezel which is clipped into the bumper with 3 clips and must be withdrawn (away from the car) from the bumper.

2. The sensor which is held into the bezel with 2 clips and must be pushed out from the bezel to the back (towards the car).

All per the PDF posted above, sections 13 and 14.

To replace a sensor there is no need to remove the bezel and so number 2 above is correct.

The following video while for a FFRR explains it much better around the 1min mark.

HTH

Post #438714 Tue Oct 07 2014 2:22pm
designboy

makes even more sense to keep the holder in place then and remove the sensor only. This is great guys. Thanks!! Thumbs Up 

Post #438719 Tue Oct 07 2014 3:43pm
XKRMonkey

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Santorini Black
Successful outer swap !

It’s been a while since anyone posted on this thread, so first of all thanks to past posters, it gave me the clues I needed.

I managed to swap the offside outer sensor by slipping my left hand down through the gap behind/under the headlamp unit once it was removed. As noted in a past post, the latching clips used to hold the units in place do NOT need to come all the way up, but rather about half of their available travel plus a little jiggle to easily remove the headlamp unit.

Removing the sensor was comparatively simple once I’d been able to read the official guide PDF posted by @DaveB, and applying gentle pressure to the sensor from the outside of the bumper with my right hand allowed me to loosen the two anchor clips one at a time with my left hand, “tilting” the sensor slightly in the bezel once the first clip came off until I manipulated the second one to free the old sensor.

I pulled the sensor up through the access space to enable simple 2-handed disconnecting of the loom, there was just the right amount of play in the cable run for that.

The new sensor fitted straight to the loom, hand back down to the bezel and simple insert/twist to find the keyway and push and the sensor was swapped.

Reinstalling the lamp unit and the grill, closing the bonnet and then using my code tool to just clear out the old fail codes from the parking module did the trick. All working beautifully again.

Thanks for all the pointers, I hope my quick run down helps others to avoid the struggle of removing the front bumper unnecessarily. The whole job (before sitting and playing with the code reader) took less than 10 minutes. BTW, my hands are shovels and my wrists are thick (it was a bit of an effort to get my hand in at first)!

Post #636604 Sun Oct 15 2023 12:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1