RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TDV8 Alternator replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue
TDV8 Alternator replacement

Alternator decided to throw it's hand in,,, the only good bit of luck it happened outside the house so wasted no time getting it into the garage.ordered new denso unit and thought I would prepare the ground while waiting for it to come,,,,,.I'll just take the wheel off etc says I,,,,,,,,, could I Censored get the nuts off. I have serviced the brakes etc as long as I have had the car,, never have I ever had a problem. Had to have 2 tyres during last year's service due to pothole damage and I'm sure they've put the nuts back on with an impact wrench. 600mm breaker wouldn't even look at them. Wheel nuts I could get around but the locking wheel nut was a different matter,,, has taken me an age to getting off.

Anyway,, rant over. The question is,, do I have to loosen off the ACE pump in order to get the alternator bottom bolts,, I believe you have to on the V6.??

TIA 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #630940 Sun Feb 19 2023 2:29pm
gogsy1956

Update to the saga,, as to the question of loosening the ACE pump,,, bottom bolt would come out but don't think the top one would so no advantage there. The bracket that would help if loosened is impossible to get at so took off the bottom intercooler hose and pulled the pipe down and tied it off,,, which gave me an extra 15mm of clearance under the alternator,,,, doesn't seem much but makes a lot of difference. Takes an age to work the bolts down but managed in the end,, jiggled the alternator a bit and it came out. Refitting is quite tricky,,, especially when trying to get the two bottom bolts back in,found it was easier to get a couple of threads on the left hand one then get the other in place.,,,,, very awkward and time consuming but managed in the end. Decided to clean all the earth points while was busy,,, then called it a day to give my knuckles and fingers a rest 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!

Post #630974 Mon Feb 20 2023 10:19pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Good luck, I wouldn't even entertain the idea anymore. Paper, scissor, indie = indie wins. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #630980 Tue Feb 21 2023 8:54am
gogsy1956

I quite enjoy tinkering about,, there was no great rush to finish and I have a garage to work in,, and a really good selection of tools,,, endless cups of coffee and music so quite comfy. Put back the top end of the engine bay today, topped off the coolant and reconnected the battery, started straight away. Voltage was only 13.8 and battery light still on but left it for a few minutes and checked again and was showing 14.7, no battery light and varying between 55 and 60 amps output. Spent a little time bleeding out the coolant system,,all seems fine. Next job is the rear tie rods,,,, but holiday in Dubai first. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
black perforated leather
22" overfinch

Post #631004 Tue Feb 21 2023 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1