RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > squealing brakes (is there a solution)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

drexal

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black
squealing brakes (is there a solution)

Hopefully this is the last thing i will need to ask for a while.

I've had pretty terrible squealing brakes since buying my RRS 2012 v8 sc about 6months ago. Prob started a few weeks after buying it privately, the previous owner just had all 4x discs and all pads changed by his local independant for about £600 just before he sold it to me.

The issue seems to go away in the rain (i think, unless i don't notice so much because of the windows up) & i think its mainly at lower speeds.

I have read every single forum / post and searched all over google. People started reporting this back in 2006 and there still doesn't seem to be anyone with a solid solution, some say its dust in the electronic handbrake drum or the hand brake shoes sticking, some say its over heated / burnt glazed pads, others have said, you need to take the pads out and use copper grease on the back and on the sliders & finally some say its just a LR known issue and you have to live with it.

I can't seem to find a majority fix that has worked. As this is years on from when the first reports i'm wondering if anyone has finally nailed how to fix this for good?

Also on a few posts, it seems to be a mind field to know if your rrs came with factory fitted brembo's, a lot of people say all SC's came with them but in the later years they just put Land Rover on the calliper instead of brembo & that if you climb under you will see brembo stamp at the back of the calliper. Is this the only way to know for sure?

Also has anyone switched out the disks to drilled disks and does this make a difference?

Any help would be appreciated as this is only niggle i have with my rrs, really hope it stays that way. 2012 RRS HSE 5.0 SUPERCHARGED Santorini Black

Post #594957 Sun Feb 16 2020 1:07am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

All RRS1 S/C's came with six pot Brembo's could pay extra to have them red unless it's a A/B then standard, mine used to do this annoyed the hell out of me, never had to change discs but the only brake pads that I could find that cured this was EBC Redstuff even tried Brembo pads, unfortunately it would appear EBC no longer make these particular pads. The rear calipers will be TRW L/R never used Brembo's on the rear.

Cheers
Col

Post #594958 Sun Feb 16 2020 1:14am
Bardley

United Kingdom 

Have you had the pads out yet?
If not, take them out and service all corners, incl. Slide pins etc.
As you take the pads out, check that they were fitted correctly to start with as some are directional.
The EPB should be inspected too, as this is often neglected

Doing all this will give you a known start point that they have been done properly.

Your post doesn't say if you've touched them yet. The job may not have been done properly 6mnths ago... 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #594962 Sun Feb 16 2020 7:56am
Col

This was such a issue with the Brembo's L/R actualy brought out a Anti Squeal brake pad LR093886 don't know if it worked or not though.

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic44976...+squealing

Cheers
Col

Post #594964 Sun Feb 16 2020 8:11am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have the standard TRW calipers on mine but whenever I change pads, I always give everything a good clean down with brake cleaner, clean and regrease the slider pins and also smear some copperslip on the back of the pad (old school, yes, I know).

Whilst it is not recommended by most manufacturers of brake pads to smear copperslip on the back of the pad, I've had issues with squealing in the past on other cars and a smear fixed it. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #594967 Sun Feb 16 2020 9:08am
Col

It certainly won't be a slider pin issue on the Brembo's because they don't have any, just retaining pins.

Cheers
Col

Post #594970 Sun Feb 16 2020 9:22am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

The OP hasn’t really been clear on the squeal but it could be any number of things. Does it happen when you lightly touch the brakes? Heavy touch? All the time? Applying the hand brake?

I suspect the pads and disks are after market which is fine but I have found on other cars that the pad friction material and whether chamfered on the leading edge can make a difference.

I’ve now got EBC yellow on the front and red on the back and I’ve got zero squeal. The only issue I have now is the yellow stuff, although doesn’t give off much dust, does leave a rough surface on the leading edges of my front wheel spokes. I need to put some of that purple iron rain (you know the iron particle cleaner stuff) on to see if it’s erosion or contamination. Either way the 2+ ton of Land Rovers finest now stops at the slightest whiff of my right foot passing over the pedal. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #594973 Sun Feb 16 2020 9:41am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Your better off using ceramic brake grease rather than copper grease,alloy calipers don’t agree with copper grease neither does the abs system,this was mentioned by disco-Mikey in another post about brake pads.

Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #594975 Sun Feb 16 2020 10:02am
Col

I can only comment on my own experience, the squeal was at low speed with light braking couldn't hear it with the window up, brake a little harder and no noise, fitted the Redstuff pads about 15 months ago and around 8k since and not a squeak of any sort since. For got to mention it had new genuine L/R discs which have Brembo stamped on them, and genuine Brembo pads a little earlier and it never made a blind bit of difference until I fitted the EBC pads and it cured it completely.

Cheers
Col

Post #594976 Sun Feb 16 2020 10:10am
drexal

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Hi everyone, thanks for all this help and info, i'm going log everything everyone is saying. But the EBC sound like a great start.

I just had the car serviced, so i was hoping on the test drive they would hear the squeal and mention to me if i wanted them to try and fix it.

But they didn't they just reported brakes were good & pads were only 10% worn, which is really annoying as to change out almost brand new pads feels like wasted money, but i can't handle this squealing anymore.

Sorry for lack of detail on the squeal. I'm going out later in it so i will try and listen to exactly when it happens and at what speeds etc.

Just looked at the receipt for the pads, its just says replace brake pads (labour FOC) £67.78 (so not sure if this price would reflect if they're aftermarket or not.

I also guess i need to find out if i have brenbo callipers or not. It doesn't state this on the topix LR site.

Could anyone tell me from this picture of my calipers are brembo's with the LR logo on them? this will determine like Tyrefitter said if i and use copper grease or not when fitting new pads. 2012 RRS HSE 5.0 SUPERCHARGED Santorini Black

Post #594981 Sun Feb 16 2020 10:42am
Tyrefitter

Brembo fronts,with new discs & Hawk high performance low dust pads fitted this week so I cannot comment how good they are yet as I’ve only done about 30 mile
 Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #594982 Sun Feb 16 2020 10:47am
Col

Can't actualy see a picture but if it is a 2012 RRS1 5.0L S/C they will be 6 pot Brembos. Just saw the picture yes they are Brembo's it's just that HSE's were not painted Red with Brembo on them unless specified as a option although standard fit on th A/B's.

Cheers
Col

Last edited by Col on Sun Feb 16 2020 11:10am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #594983 Sun Feb 16 2020 10:47am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Read this on the disco site

https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia/bd693...2018_1.pdf 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #594984 Sun Feb 16 2020 11:08am
Red Arrow

United Kingdom 

Tyrefitter wrote:
Brembo fronts,with new discs & Hawk high performance low dust pads fitted this week so I cannot comment how good they are yet as I’ve only done about 30 mile

Do you only run the 30mm spacers on the rear Andy ? Thumbs Up

Post #595015 Sun Feb 16 2020 7:54pm
Tyrefitter

Yes,I tried them on the front but the wheels stuck out too far as the offset on these aftermarket alloys is 45 were as the original alloys are 49,someone on here with a svr put 25mm all round & posted a pic a few week ago & they looked fine but I’m not sure what the offset on those are,also my rims are 10j were as the originals are 9.5. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino